PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Single-Seven 327 Loading Problems

MudCamper
11-19-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm new here. I found your forum because I was searching for others who may have had the problem that I have with my new Ruger Single-Seven.

The first post in this other thread details the problem: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?258003-Loading-issues-with-the-new-Ruger-Single-Seven-327-Federal-Magnum

That thread is closed. Perhaps that's a result of the arguing within it. I don't know. But I opened a new thread because this is a real problem that I think needs to be documented, and brought to Ruger's attention.

I will restate the problem here. (But the other thread has nice pictures illustrating it.)

On the Single-Seven (or on mine, and some other's) it is very difficult to load rounds, and extremely difficult to unload spent casings. The problem appears to be that the cutout in the frame under the loading gate is not quite the correct size or depth, and when you attempt to load a round, the rim of the case binds against the frame.

If you turn to a new cylinder, and are very careful not to let it click, and stop turning just as the chamber hole clears the frame, you can just barely fit the round by the frame and into the cylinder. Unloading is more difficult. It almost takes 3 hands. It was so much trouble for me, that I just started removing the cylinder to unload it. This was much faster than fighting with finding the perfect spot where you could both get the ejector rod into the case and get the case past the frame.

Now before anyone chimes in and says that this is perfectly normal (which is what started the unnecessary bickering in the other thread), let me make a couple points clear. This is not my first rodeo. I own 5 Ruger single action revolvers. I own a Bisley in 45 Long Colt, a Super Blackhawk 44 magnum, a Single-Six Convertable, a Bearcat Shopkeeper, and this new Single-Seven. None of my other Ruger single action revolvers have this problem. This is not normal behavior for these revolvers.

I may try and video the problem, and post a link to that here. I'll also send Ruger a link to this and the other thread.

If anyone else has this problem, know that it is a problem, and not just to be accepted as normal. IMO I think that Ruger QC is slipping, because they have been cranking out so many firearms lately. Hopefully they remedy this soon. (And I am speaking as the owner of many more Ruger firearms, not just these revolvers.)

Update: For those who don't want to read the entire thread, here is a video demonstrating the problem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op1_kudD4Yg), and here is a video showing how well the gun works after Ruger fixed it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dpR8DJc1lQ).

dragon813gt
11-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Best bet is to contact Ruger and see what they say. I've been to busy at work to have time call them. I do agree that is a problem. People have opened up the gate w/ very little work. Still something that you shouldn't have to do to a new firearm.

JSH
11-19-2014, 08:48 PM
I too won't disagree. But why not go to the source rather than rile the natives, just saying.
I have two of the S7's fit and finish are excellent. Maybe I got lucky. I have read a fair bit on theses guns and swore I wouldn't comment anymore.
But for a production run gun I think it is fine. I honestly think a whole lot of folks think a short, limited run of anything means it is better and close to a custom of sorts.
Jeff

rintinglen
11-19-2014, 09:01 PM
I totally agree with the OP.
I was one who stoned and polished the loading gate cut out to increase the clearance. I am convinced that someone in the engineering of this gun forgot that 7 goes into 360 less than 6 does, so the geometry is off by 8 or so degrees. I still ended up sending my gun back to have the base pin problem corrected. While the gun worked fine with 32 S&W Longs and 32 H&R Magnums, about one in three shots with the 327 loads would result in the base pin slipping forward and tying up the gun. The distraction of the frequent malfunctions made concentrating on the sights and trigger more difficult. I am waiting for the return from Ruger.

I have a second one on order, a 7 1/2 incher, and can only hope that it works better. Like the OP, I have four other Ruger Single action revolvers and have been shooting Ruger Single actions of one sort or another since 1966 and was more than a little miffed by some of the comments made by some of our know-it-alls who were pontificating with out having even seen the guns in question. I am also totally convinced now that any review you read on the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Despite the problems though, I am very delighted with the feel, balance, and accuracy of the gun. I like the feel much better than the BH 8-shooter I had. In limited testing so far, all 4 boolits I have tried have grouped well with the first loads tried. I have used the MP 314-640 100 grain HP, the Lyman 311-316, the RCBS 32-98 SWC crimped over the front band, and the LBT 32-100. All have shot in the 2-3 inch range for 7 shot groups at 25 yards. Under the windy conditions I was shooting, I consider those very good. Indoors, at 50 feet, I got several 1 inch five shot groups with the MP HP boolit using hot 327 loads. the 32 h&r loaded with the RCBS boolit also shot very well I had only loaded 10 rounds and had neglected to write down the load so of course it was excellent. One thing to be aware of is the maximum cartridge length must not exceed 1.50 inches. I have some 311-465 boolits that need to be pulled now as they are a smidge too long. 296, Unique and 231 have all worked well. Power Pistol is waiting in the wings for its turn.

chsparkman
11-19-2014, 09:06 PM
I have a Single-Seven, and I know what you mean. I think maybe that the trouble lies in the seven-round cylinder necessarily indexing at just the wrong point so that it wants to rotate just past the optimal position for loading/unloading. I don't know if I expressed this correctly, but I think many will know what I mean. Anyway, I'd be interested to see whether Ruger has a solution.

Guesser
11-19-2014, 09:07 PM
I thought about opening mine up a little but then as I used it I fell into time with the odd spacing and now it is second nature to hold it in place for loading and extracting. Only took me about a hundred rounds to get my rythum in sync with the 7 chambers. Good gun, but, truth be told, I'm more of a provinvialist and would rather they had made it a 6 shooter, for esthetics and tradition more than function.

30calflash
11-20-2014, 10:29 AM
I don't believe it's a QC issue.

My SS 32 H&R needs some TLC to get the rounds loaded and unloaded. It's a matter of getting used to it.

Ruger stuffed a 32 in a 22 sized package and now with 7 rounds it's even tighter. It's the price paid for an adaptation that shoots rather well, from what I've heard. Spend some time with it.

MudCamper
11-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Jeff Quinn at GunBlast states in his text review, "The chambers line up perfectly with the loading gate for loading and unloading. (http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Single7.htm)"

In his video review he states, "One thing I also like about this being a seven-shot, when it clicks, you can load right there. On a lot of Ruger new model revolvers, if you go to the click, you've gone too far. These load up just right. When the cylinder clicks, for loading and unloading, it lines up with the loading gate really well. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lhbJc-uQ9K0#t=302)"

That description is as far from my experience as you can be.

I will contact Ruger, and post here what I find out.

Fergie
11-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I contacted Ruger and the response I got was along the lines of "Huh? Send the gun in and we'll check it out."

They had never heard of the issue, and even after sending an email to the CEO, no response.

Time and effort wise, about 30 minutes with some sandpaper and a buffing wheel and I am set.

If you get a better response from Ruger than I did, I'd be more than happy to voice my issue with them, but as of now, the gin functions fine and I'm not keen on pissing away more time on the issue.

Mohillbilly
11-20-2014, 10:23 PM
My single sevens have a slight ripple / bump on the frame inside the loading gate . "about 30 minutes with some sandpaper and a buffing wheel and I am set." None will align at the click to load , or rotate back far enough to load . As far as timing , cylinder to barrel is good , and the loading alignment is about the same on all my single sixes, and black hawks . Normal as far as I am concerned . My .32 H&R loads the same way . Before the click , and it is a six shooter . I don't believe it's a QC issue . It's a matter of getting used to it. I am happy for the most part and in these demanding times on the johnny come lately scene of gota buy a gun , think of the people that voted for the Obamation , and thank Ruger for producing this one .

wrench man
11-21-2014, 01:40 AM
The loading gate notch was my biggest complaint, now that I've fixed that the base pin jumping is the problem, I haven't tackled that one yet.

MudCamper
11-21-2014, 05:58 PM
I don't believe it's a QC issue . It's a matter of getting used to it.

You must not have read my first post. I have 5 Ruger single actions, and none of the others have this problem. Perhaps you have Vaqueros? I do not. Also, read what Jeff Quinn has stated. All three of his test samples don't have this problem.

I also think there is some variation. Some guns are worse than others. I have to remove the cylinder to unload my revolver. That is not something that I am willing to "get used to".

Mohillbilly
11-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I did read, but your sample is small . I have a few more than that. I have a few that do line up ( 1 .45 Colt , and 1 .44 Rem.) and I think that they are easier to load and a happy mistake . Jeff Quin observation are his , on his guns . There is variation in production batch to batch / year to year . Mostly I find Ruger single actions accurate , well built , strong , and priced to a point that a working stiff can afford , and pretty good looking . Not every one demands quality of a Freedom Arms and its higher prices . If your problem is with this gun then give Ruger a chance to inspect/ remedy it , or sell it . If this really bothers you , I suggest you personally inspect every gun Before you pay . Or just vote with your wallet and feet and not buy Ruger products . I have only sent one new gun back to Ruger and resolved quickly . I have collected for 30+ years and there are some things that are get used to it , as technology is always advancing , the single action revolvers do have improvements some good and some not . You do the pick'n .

Timber88
11-22-2014, 11:10 AM
After reading the previous closed contentious thread about potential loading/unloading issues with the new Ruger Single Seven I thought I'd share my observations of Jeff Quinn's test and review article. First let me say that I presently own a NM Blackhawk Convertible 45 and a NM Vaquero in 45 Colt and previously owned a NM Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt. All of them worked great without this issue. A couple days ago I picked up a Single Seven 7 1/2" and discovered the exact same loading/unloading problems previously posted. So I did some searching and came across this great forum, the previous closed thread and this thread and joined to comment.

I was unable to post Jeff's picture but my loading port and gate is SMALLER than the one shown in the test review article. Please look at the close-up picture of the cylinder and gun in profile (round laying on top of the cylinder). It's on the left side of the page towards the bottom. It's subtle but comparing mine to this one I can see some relief on the loading port at the top AND the bottom that mine does not have. I think this would solve the loading problem while indexed however Jeff states his example lines up for loading and unloading. My ejector hits the front of the cylinder when indexed and therefore still would not function with only an enlarged loading port.

While I understand that changes are made during production it's clear to me this issue was addressed after some guns were made and sent to Lipsey's. It is true that with very careful positioning before the cylinder is indexed it is possible to load and unload the cylinder. However this is a tedious and frustrating exercise and something I personally did not anticipate when examining my new gun at the store. I plan to contact and show my dealer what I've stated here and see where it goes. I love my Ruger's but will sell and move on from this particular example if this isn't addressed. Thank you for your consideration.

SteveS
11-22-2014, 12:13 PM
This issue (I call it a characteristic) has been in existence ever since Ruger converted the Single Six to .32 mag. thirty years ago.

I bought my Single Six 32 mag. in 1986, 28 years ago.

The loading gate along with the tight base pin characteristics were very frustrating at first but I eventually got the hang of how the gun works. I've carried and shot, loaded and unloaded, cleaned and oiled, cast and reloaded for and enjoyed it's unfailing operation and accuracy for so long it's "issues" and "characteristics" are nothing more or less than just enjoying the gun for me now.

Ruger has had thirty years to fix something that they don't think is a problem and haven't. I doubt they are going to redesign the gun but for those who want to complain, Ruger is just a telephone call away. They might even design a whole new gun if there is enough interest. Who knows?

The options are, learn to use the gun as designed, modify it to your liking, hope Ruger will redesign it for you or sell it and move on.

They are all the right answer.

Timber88
11-22-2014, 12:29 PM
I agree and was only trying to point out that from what I see in Jeff Quinn's article and pictures it is evident that Ruger did indeed address the "characteristic", at least at it relates to the loading port. The alignment of the ejecting rod (when indexed) would seem more problematic but maybe that was addressed too. However it's apparent that there were guns released to Lipsey's before these changes were made.

Mohillbilly
11-22-2014, 03:30 PM
All my .32 H&R single sixes have this same characteristic of loading before the click . I have 4 of them and 2 baby vaqueros . Maybe that's why they don't produce them any more . It was quite a shock back then in the day how Ruger could bore out a .22 to .32 . I am glad I got while the getting was good . I'll have to check the .22 and the .17 HMR . never appeared an issue to me .

rintinglen
11-22-2014, 05:05 PM
THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE 32 SSM AND THE 327 LOADING ISSUE. If you don't have a dog in the fight, keep your false analogies to yourself. I have fired three SSM's, yeah, they load before the click, but the cases did not drag and bind on the frame. I have four other single action Rugers, have previously owned several others and have run thousands of rounds through them over the years. I greatly resent people telling me it's "just normal." It is not. I removed at least 15 thousandths of metal to open mine up to functionality.

Mohillbilly
11-22-2014, 05:22 PM
rintinglen I have all three single sevens and Ruger did not polish the loading trough enough on them . I am unwilling to send them back , for what could happen to them on the way , and would rather do it my self . The round count means you are using the same 4 guns , try inspecting 75 to 100 single sixes and black hawks . AND IF you were addressing my response , I do have " a dog in the fight" I am entitled . You are entitled to your opinion , and I mine . Rude is telling some one you do not know ,
"to keep your false comparisons to yourself". AND so is "keep your false analogies to yourself. " Free country free speech, as it were ,.

ethang
11-22-2014, 07:10 PM
I have a 5.5 after a trip back to fix the BC gap it has been a nice pistol. I have a 32 Mag SS and it does not load at the click easily. I adjusted to that and just loaded/unloaded as the hole lined up, not at the click. Never had an issue and I shot a couple thousand rounds before the Single Seven.

My Seven I just normally loaded the same way. I don't think before reading this thread and playing with it tonight I ever tried to load it at the click. So.... I did. I have two charge holes that load just fine when indexing to the click, just have to back it up till it stops after clicking. All the rest are varying degrees of go/no go when trying the same way. A few I can load with a gentle push and unload the same, a few take a harder push, and won't unload without going all the way around again.

To me, being used to just loading as the cylinder clears, it's not an issue. Is it a design flaw? Maybe, but it's not a big deal to me I just naturally adjusted to it. Just for kicks I tried loading my Seven with my eyes closed and had no issues what so ever. I just lightly pressed the bullet to the cylinder and rotated. Went right in. Now this might be a tolerance stacking issue and other examples are worse than mine. For me and mine I don't see it as a problem, just needed to allow for it.

Your results may vary.

MudCamper
11-22-2014, 11:27 PM
The "I'm right. You're wrong." troll factor is pretty high on these forums. I will not engage in it.

I will post a video when I have it. I will contact Ruger. I will share what comes of that. Hopefully that will help others who, like me, don't accept shoddy work as just a normal "characteristic". If I wanted a shoddy product, I'd have bought a Taurus. I own a dozen Ruger products for a reason. They usually ship well designed, well built products. I guess I'll finally get to see if their customer support is as good. I suspect that it will be.

Timber88
11-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Have you compared your loading port to Jeff Quinn's picture?

MudCamper
11-23-2014, 12:22 AM
Have you compared your loading port to Jeff Quinn's picture?

I just did. It's like a different gun. The cutout in the frame is much deeper. You can see the (don't know the word for it) teeth/wheel in the cylinder above the cutout in the frame with the loading gate open. Mine does not show like that. It's below the level of the cutout. Interesting.

Timber88
11-23-2014, 01:38 AM
Exactly. Also look at the picture below that one. If you at the transition by the shoulder at the bottom of the hammer you'll notice a side-cut for lack of a better term. Mine has nothing like that but rather is a smooth elliptical. I'd also say that the arm on the loading gate is much shorter than mine which would mean the gate itself is a new piece.

As I said earlier I can load and unload but it's very critical to be in the right position before the cylinder indexes. It's so close if I'm off a 1/16" it will not load/unload. I'm actually more concerned with the ejector rod. When I index the cylinder and then roll it back the ejector rod will still rub on 3 or 4 cylinder walls. I can't see how this can be adjusted without modifications to the frame forward of the cylinder.

Fishman
11-23-2014, 08:37 AM
20 years from now Ruger collectors will be paying a premium for single sevens that haven't been "port modded". Just watch.

Guesser
11-23-2014, 10:47 AM
I own about the same number of Tauri as I do Rugers. I've sent exactly twice as many Rugers back as I have Tauri. Just saying; since the subject was opened in post #22. Thank you very much!!

Fergie
11-23-2014, 12:32 PM
20 years from now Ruger collectors will be paying a premium for single sevens that haven't been "port modded". Just watch.

Too true. And all those unmodified guns will be unfired safe queens because the buyers are so pissed at the loading process! :D

rintinglen
11-23-2014, 07:31 PM
I like Rugers, but I do have to say that I have a perception that QC has fallen off as they sell their million plus guns per annum. What I find discouraging is that close examination of the fired case from the factory reveals the same scratches on the case wall that I experienced with mine. Someone released the gun and sent it out after having to force the cartridge into the cylinder. The issue with mine was that the longer case of the 327 was canted by the rim touching the loading gate and binding on the outer edge of the cylinder charge hole. You could force it in, scraping the case, but it took some effort. Certainly the cartridge would not drop in no matter how carefully aligned. And you did have to carefully align it. Either Timber 88's gun was a little looser than mine, or my 1/16th's are bigger than his, but mine was a friction fit that required you to partially insert the cartridge and use it to center the charge hole in the loading gate. There was no play to speak of at all.

However, the fix is fairly easy. Get yourself a 1/2 inch round oil stone, oil it heavily to keep any bits of abrasive that may come loose from wandering into the action, remove the cylinder and clamp the gun upside down in your vise. Then it is just a case of cut-and-try. Every five minutes or so, replace the cylinder and try loading a dummy cartridge. It does not take very long--mine was done in less than an hour. After stoning I used a felt wheel and some polishing compound in my dremel tool to smooth things up. Now it is nice and slick.
Now don't get me wrong, there is still very little room to play with. After all, you are parking the equivalent of a Suburban in a compact stall, but now at least you won't scrape your paint.

Timber88
11-24-2014, 03:20 AM
I like your suggestion of stoning. It sounds less aggressive than what I see in Jeff Quinn's pictures. I didn't measure it but there is about 1/16" of play in cylinder rotation on my gun where a cartridge will drop in a chamber freely. This is before the index (click). If the cylinder is indexed and even turned back there is no way to load a cartridge. I'm still more concerned with ejection. Modifications to the loading port will not negate the necessity to eject before the click. I think a free spin pawl would make ejection (and loading) easier and eliminate the need to go around if it clicks.

To be sure I like this revolver. All 7 of the chambers allowed a factory Federal American Eagle 100 grain to drop in freely. I can't comment on Starline brass in this particular cylinder. Incidentally it had a consistent trigger pull that averaged 4 lb. 2 oz. from 5 shots but had typical Ruger SA creep. It's shootable but I'm going to work on it.

ddixie884
11-30-2014, 08:52 PM
My first two single sevens were 5.5in, they line up perfectly. My 3rd was a 4.6in and was so far off the ejector rod wouldn't go through the chambers. I worked on it myself and cut into the transfer bar cutout. It now works perfectly, but has a hole in the loading slot. When my 7.5in came in, it was bad. I called Ruger, they sent UPS to get it, it came back in less than 10 days. It clicks and pauses much sooner in the opening, now. I would send any more I buy back to Ruger. It's my fault one of my guns has lost a lot of re-sale value. Ruger handled this in very high style. See below.

MudCamper
12-11-2014, 01:15 PM
I called Ruger a while ago. After holding a while, I left a voicemail message. I left my phone number and email address. Today I received an email from someone in their Customer Service. She stated,

To answer your problem on the Single-7 firearm. According to the engineers that this the way this revolver functions ,because it doesn’t have an indexing pawl. If you would still like us to do a pick-up for this firearm please call us at 603-865-2442 for an RMA#. Have a great day

And this is my response,

I'm sorry but your engineers are giving you bad information.

I've done a lot of reading on the subject. And there has been a LOT of discussion on the problem in various online forums. Some people have trouble. Others do not. There are clearly some guns with problems.

Jeff Quinn (did the review on the Single Seven http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Single7.htm ) states, "The chambers line up perfectly with the loading gate for loading and unloading." and "One thing I also like about this being a seven-shot, when it clicks, you can load right there. On a lot of Ruger new model revolvers, if you go to the click, you've gone too far. These load up just right. When the cylinder clicks, for loading and unloading, it lines up with the loading gate really well."

So clearly his sample guns are very very different from the one I got. Mine is very difficult to load. And to unload it I have to remove the cylinder.

My plan, if Ruger won't take care of it for me, is to take a grinding wheel tip on a dremel tool to the gun. I own many other Ruger single actions. I bought my first one in the 80's and have continued to buy more over the decades. I am not a novice on this topic.

Here is my thread on the problem: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259922-Ruger-Single-Seven-327-Loading-Problems

There are many others out there. Just do a google search.

I will call the number and get an RMA.

Thank you,
Paul

PS: Please pass this on to your engineers. And also please pass this on to whomever receives the gun when I send it in.

Char-Gar
12-11-2014, 02:16 PM
You got the right idea alright. If you are not happy, grab a Dremell, stick in a grinding wheel and make sparks fly. Go get em!

MudCamper
12-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Here is a video demonstrating the difficulty loading and unloading my Single Seven, followed by a Super Blackhawk just for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op1_kudD4Yg

dragon813gt
12-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Even w/ the video I bet people will say that's how it's supposed to be. Your's is noticeably worse then mine. When it's in the right spot there is no tension to load the cartridge. Just shows that even the problem guns have different levels of problems. Points to lack of quality control from Ruger again.

MudCamper
12-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Even w/ the video I bet people will say that's how it's supposed to be. Your's is noticeably worse then mine. When it's in the right spot there is no tension to load the cartridge. Just shows that even the problem guns have different levels of problems. Points to lack of quality control from Ruger again.

Yeah. I figure some will say I'm a cry baby. They are wrong. Or they are willing to settle for an inferior product. I am not. I am a fan of Ruger quality and craftsmanship, from all my past purchases. I expect more from them than this. All of my other Ruger Single actions work as well as the Super Blackhawk I include in the video for comparison. I do not think it should be necessary to remove the cylinder to unload the gun. Why even have a loading gate if that is the case.

Guesser
12-11-2014, 11:09 PM
My Single 7 loads and unloads as designed; tolerances are closer than any of my other single actions but then the frame is smaller. Good gun, just learn how to use it. Sorta like when you graduated from the high chair to the dinner table and had to start eating with a fork instead of that spoon you were used to. All Rugers ain't the same, but they all work as designed!!

dragon813gt
12-11-2014, 11:50 PM
My Single 7 loads and unloads as designed; tolerances are closer than any of my other single actions but then the frame is smaller. Good gun, just learn how to use it. Sorta like when you graduated from the high chair to the dinner table and had to start eating with a fork instead of that spoon you were used to. All Rugers ain't the same, but they all work as designed!!

And there we go. Did you watch the video? It's engineered so the brass drags on the frame?

rintinglen
12-12-2014, 01:16 AM
My first one had exactly the same problem loading, though I was able to unload it without removing the cylinder, using extreme care. My second one loads and unloads with only minor dragging. And you have the usual know-it-all responses, inferring, if not outright stating that there ain't nothing wrong with the gun, it's the ignoramus making the post who doesn't know how to use it. The first thread on this turned into such a flame war that it was locked.

I strongly suggest that you use a 1/2 inch round oil stone and deepen the loading gate by hand. The Dremel tool cuts too fast, and you run the risk of cutting into the transfer bar channel. It doesn't take long, I did mine in less than an hour, but I only used the Dremel to drive a felt wheel while I polished the loading gate to ease the passage of the cartridge after I had opened the gate with the stone.

Mine shoots very accurately, and I hope this weekend to try out the 7 1/2 incher.

ethang
12-12-2014, 10:37 AM
I think there is a very good example of the tolerance stacking. The problem is very obvious with yours.

Guesser
12-12-2014, 02:34 PM
mine does not drag when the cylinder is properly positioned and held there. Tolerances are close but not prohibitive.

rintinglen
12-13-2014, 02:23 AM
mine does not drag when the cylinder is properly positioned and held there. Tolerances are close but not prohibitive.
Bully for you! You got a good one.
My second one, a 7 1/2 incher, is much better than my first one, the 5 1/2 inch gun. It still requires careful positioning, but a round will drop in without binding, and eject spent cases without having to remove the cylinder from the gun. Neither one loads as easily as the ones Quinn got for his review. Me thinks he got the gun writer special.
However, despite the potential problems, these are dandy guns. If they come out with a Bisley version, I'm all over it.
Here's a pic of my Christmas present to me, the holster is a cross draw I made yesterday, the cartridges are 12.8 grains of 296 under a MP 314-640-100 HP.

MudCamper
12-15-2014, 04:55 PM

Useless, ignorant, and insulting post. You know, I did learn something from my mother when I graduated from the high chair, and that was, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. I guess you're still in your high chair...

Guesser
12-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Just a comparative analogy, dint mean to break your rice bowl!!

Mooseman
12-17-2014, 01:19 PM
As a shooter , I would not be happy with that gun in the video, clearly it has tolerance/clearance issues at the loading gate. Rugers should load and unload easily.

ejcrist
12-17-2014, 02:45 PM
I watched your video and totally agree you got a lemon with regard to loading. It doesn't look like it would take much to stone to get the proper clearance which I'd do if it were a used firearm, but being brand new I believe I'd send her back to Ruger. They'll surely see the problem you described once they take a look at it.

ddixie884
12-22-2014, 06:22 PM
I strongly recommend any with problems to contact Ruger. They sent UPS to pick mine up and it was returned in less than 10 days. Good to go, now............

MudCamper
12-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I strongly recommend any with problems to contact Ruger. They sent UPS to pick mine up and it was returned in less than 10 days. Good to go, now............

Yup. I contacted Ruger. Their initial response was similar knee jerk as many on this forum, "It's working as intended." I insisted. So they paid shipping both ways. And in less than 2 weeks I have my revolver back already.

Works like a dream now. Loads and unloads as easily as my Super Blackhawk 44 magnum and my Bisley 45 Long Colt, which previously were the easiest of my Ruger single actions to load.

Looks like they did at least 2 things. First, it loads and unloads before the click without any resistance. The shells just fall in/out. Second, they changed the indexing, so that it clicks just a bit sooner, so now you can also load it after the click. Very very nice.

So Ruger customer service has turned out to be as good as their guns. Very good.

If you have similar problems, don't listen to the naysayers, or those willing to accept flawed guns as "working as intended". Have Ruger take a look at it. They'll make it right.

I will shoot another video in the next few days and post it as well to demonstrate the difference.

rintinglen
12-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Looking forward to the video. Congratulations on getting your gun fixed.
I am slightly amazed at how good Ruger's service is, and how often it is needed. They have spent nearly 200 dollars on shipping alone for my three returns, not counting the time of their service people. I would think a little more money on Quality Assurance would save them a lot of money in the long run.

Fergie
12-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Good to hear about the satisfactory resolution to the problem. I was much more impatient than yourself and stoned mine to get similar results, but in retrospect should have gone your route.

Regardless, glad to hear that Ruger addressed the issue and that the problem was not deemed "acceptable" by them.

Tar Heel
12-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Here is a video demonstrating the difficulty loading and unloading my Single Seven, followed by a Super Blackhawk just for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op1_kudD4Yg

A picture is worth a thousand words. With Mfg tolerances, that one gun is problematic (as are others). Design is just too tight to work reliably across a MFG run. Ruger should fix that. Nice Video.

Tar Heel
12-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Can't wait to see the next video with the fix.

sandman228
12-29-2014, 11:34 AM
i just bought a single seven 7.5 inch this past Saturday brought it home gave it a good cleaning and took it to the range sunday . I noticed some loading issues right away I own multiple blackhawks(in other calibers) and used to own a superblackhawk and never ran into this problem .mine isn't near as bad as the 1 in the vid though, mine seems to work just fine if you turn it till it clicks then turn it back against the lockup and hold it there ,the rim on the case rubs a little bit but not enough to hurt anything they fall in and out pretty free . I dunno maybe ruger should have stuck with the Blackhawk in this caliber like when they first introduced it .I originally wanted the Blackhawk 5 yrs ago when I bought my 1st 327 mag but settled for the gp100 ,but people complained the Blackhawk and gp100 were to big of gun for a 32 cal round. maybe the single 6 (7) frame is a tad to small . all and all I like the single seven though but ive been a fan of this caliber since it was introduced in 2008 . just my opinion .

Guesser
12-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Sandman: what you described exactly mirrors my experience. I bought my first 327 in early 2009, been with it continuously thru 4 different guns. I still have and use 3 of them, sold off my first one because I was offered more than I could refuse; and I had a new unfired duplicate in the safe. I've never met a 327 I didn't like; just like the smaller ones better. The GP & BH were too big. I have Colt SAA's in 32 calibers and they are too big for the caliber, also.
The Single 7 would be about perfect as a Single 6.

dragon813gt
12-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Cylinder needs to be longer to take full advantage of heavyweight bullets. But beyond that it's the perfect size. Hopefully I have time to call Ruger this week since I'm off.

Guesser
12-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Cylinder length was the first thing I noticed when I started to develop loads for it. I couldn't seat the 311316 out to reduce pressures. I can do that with both my Taurus and my Charter Arms, both of them have longer cylinders. I still like all of them.

rintinglen
12-29-2014, 08:14 PM
I had a BH--too much gun for too little boolit. It was heavier noticeably than my 44 special flat top.
I much prefer the balance and feel of the Single 7. Now that I have the problems fixed with mine, it has become a favorite. I just got 500 cases from a fellow back east and as soon as I get past the holidays, I am going to get some more reloaded. Then I will try to empty them as quick as I can. I have hopes of converting a coyote or two into non-meat eaters.

MudCamper
01-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Here is a video demonstrating how easily it now loads and unloads after Ruger fixed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dpR8DJc1lQ

Tar Heel
01-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Well done videos MudCamper. Your diagnosis was correct and Ruger customer service shines again for those who take the time to present a clear, calm request to Ruger and allow them to correct the issue.