PDA

View Full Version : No In Between Bottom Pour

1911KY
11-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Does anyone ever wonder why there isn't an in between bottom pour melter? It's either a Lee 4 20 or a RCBS Pro-Melt, that is a big price difference and quality difference from most accounts. I have been searching and I can't seem to find anything in between. Am I missing an option?

dikman
11-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Well, they're a fairly specialized bit of gear, I guess, with a "limited" market (shooters and fishers), so it's probably not something that any other company is likely to get into. You're quite right, though, in that there is nothing in between. In answer to your last question, the option is to mod the Lee pot. I realise that not everyone can do that, but if you can you end up with what you're looking for - an inexpensive pot that will perform like the more expensive ones (RCBS).

jsizemore
11-19-2014, 07:46 PM
The Pro Melt is the mid price point pot. Check out the Magma Master Pot for an eye opener.

bigarm
11-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Well, they're a fairly specialized bit of gear, I guess, with a "limited" market (shooters and fishers), so it's probably not something that any other company is likely to get into. You're quite right, though, in that there is nothing in between. In answer to your last question, the option is to mod the Lee pot. I realise that not everyone can do that, but if you can you end up with what you're looking for - an inexpensive pot that will perform like the more expensive ones (RCBS).

What mods will help a Lee 4-20 pot?

ipijohn
11-19-2014, 08:44 PM

A do it your self PID for under $50. Lots of info here on the forum.

1911KY
11-19-2014, 11:09 PM
The Pro Melt is the mid price point pot. Check out the Magma Master Pot for an eye opener.

Ha! I did for about a half a second!! That ain't in my near future!

i need something with more capacity as my 10 lb production pot is a constant battle to keep full when runnin a 6 cavity. I can't justify the additional money for a pro melt right now, so a 4 20 is my only option right now.

1911KY
11-19-2014, 11:12 PM

There is a guy on ebay that has an upgrade kit with a shelf, lid and a couple other upgrades in the pack. My problem is, the upgrades cost more than the melter!!

bigarm
11-19-2014, 11:12 PM
A do it your self PID for under $50. Lots of info here on the forum.

Ok, thanks. With the help of el I made a PID and am using that.

Bzcraig
11-19-2014, 11:16 PM
The PID and these upgrades make for a pretty good melter comparatively speaking.
http://www.my2ndright.com/

dikman
11-20-2014, 05:07 AM
Bigarm, a mold support shelf (mounted from the back, similar to the kit referred to above), a PID, of course, and a complete replacement of the handle assembly with one similar to the RCBS. Since doing the mods it's performed flawlessly, with nary a drip in sight (other than the operator :lol:).

dragon813gt
11-20-2014, 07:09 AM

The Magma is a completely different league and it's an apples and oranges comparison. The only one that's priced properly is the Lee. All the others really over priced. There is very little that goes into making a lead pot. But I'm not a manufacturer so I can only vote w/ my wallet.

bigarm
11-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Bigarm, a mold support shelf (mounted from the back, similar to the kit referred to above), a PID, of course, and a complete replacement of the handle assembly with one similar to the RCBS. Since doing the mods it's performed flawlessly, with nary a drip in sight (other than the operator :lol:).

That's a great handle! I assume you machined that yourself. I don't have those kind of skills. Wish I did. I would love to have a handle like that. You ought to sell them.

bangerjim
11-20-2014, 03:13 PM

Practice.

I get perfect drops with a totally un-modified Lee 4-20..........all the time. Nothing else is needed on it's part!

banger

Yodogsandman
11-20-2014, 03:48 PM
I just fired up my new Lee 4-20 pot last night. Quite a difference from the 10 lb pot. I love having an adjustment for the lead stream! With the PID hooked up to it and the mold heated on a hot plate, it's a whole new casting world! It's raining boolits at 30F in NH! I do still want a handle just like dikman designed for the Lee, though.

dikman, I read your thread on your Lee pot build but, I could use more info on building a handle like that. You do amazing work! Could you start a thread on just making the handle? I think a lot of us could benefit from your expertise. That is...unless you go commercial!

1911KY, Check out this Amazon deal, I haven't seen them this cheap for awhile...

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Pound-Electric-Melter/dp/B001MYESWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416512039&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+4-20+pro

1911KY
11-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Have it on my Amazon save for later list!!! I am talking myself into sneakin it in with all the Christmas purchases we have been making!!

That handle is great, I would buy one!

dikman
11-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Yodog, there's nothing special about the handle, it's just a length of suitable size flat bar that I had in my scrap pile. Bending it was simple, and although I have a forge a gas torch should do it (MAPP would be quicker). Just get it hot enough to bend, edge on, around a suitable bit of pipe, as it bends it will twist so while it's hot put it on something solid and hammer it flat, then heat and bend a bit more etc. I Parkerized mine (only because I've been messing around with it), but heat-resistant paint should work or natural rust, if you prefer :smile:. Once it's hot rub some beeswax on it, which should help control the rusting.

The pivot point mountings are just bits of brass hexagonal rod that I had, slotted for the handle and drilled and tapped where required. Honestly, there's nothing particularly difficult about it. The hardest part was making up the shelf and support assembly for it - that was a lot of messing around. OpenNRG's shelf kit would be worth the money, imo. The only reason I made mine is because of the cost of shipping the kit to Oz!

No commercial works involved here, I just make things for my own benefit. Too much trouble to consider making things for sale!

Just a thought, you may be able to buy the handle from RCBS, that might be the simplest way, as I used my ProMelt handle as the pattern for making mine.

That price on the Lee pot is amazing, just wish I could buy one for that price here!:sad:

Springfield
11-20-2014, 06:27 PM
If you do any kid of volume the Magma is worth every penny. I love being able to cast 1000 bullets without having to wait for the pot to re-heat, just keep chunking in ingots. I also like the 2 pour spouts, cuts fill time in half. I have an RCBS I use for the pure lead stuff, and I have had 3 or 4 LEE's, so I can make an informed comparison.

Yodogsandman
11-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Have it on my Amazon save for later list!!! I am talking myself into sneakin it in with all the Christmas purchases we have been making!!

That handle is great, I would buy one!

I guess I shouldn't have posted it. There's a limited number.
BTW, I paid $5 more for this same pot, last week, same seller. Oh well...

dikman, Could you post more photos, maybe a shot from the top and handle side? I thought it had springs involved, too. Is the top cover needed to align the flow rod?

MT Chambers
11-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Lymans used to be priced in between cheapos and the RCBS.

Yodogsandman
11-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Lymans used to be priced in between cheapos and the RCBS.

I think Lyman stopped selling bottom pour pots.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-mag-20-electric-furnace.html

1911KY
11-21-2014, 12:35 AM
I went ahead and bought it, despite it going up to $58. However, they must be doing some kind of special as they gave me a $10 hunting credit!!! I will do some mods to get it the way I want it.

dikman
11-21-2014, 04:20 AM
Yodog, their are two springs, neither of which are absolutely necessary, but I think it's better with them. The top spring, on the adjustment bolt, simply applies constant pressure to the bolt so it won't drift out-of-adjustment but still lets me adjust it by hand if necessary. The handle has a heavy steel knob on the end, which due to the pivot points applies quite a bit of downward force to the arm, but as the Lee is renowned for "dribbling" I decided to increase the downward force with a spring on the side (the little chain is a simple way of adjusting the tension of the spring, just shift it a link or two). I flick up the lever, and when I let go it settles back with a fairly positive thunk.

The cover is just that, simply a cover to rest mold blocks or ingots on to pre-heat them. I'll see if I can get a couple of close-up photos for you.

Ask and ye shall receive...

The slotted handle guide bar is bolted underneath to the support plate I fitted. It saved me having to drill another hole into the top edge of the pot to screw it to. The left hand pivot mounting is attached at the point where the original guide support rod fitted, I removed it and replaced it with a rod just long enough to give me a thread at the top. The pivot attached to the metering rod is tapped at the bottom to take the metering rod thread and has a locknut to allow for fine adjustment.

Like I said, the handle mod is all pretty straightforward, nothing fancy.

Mike W1
11-21-2014, 10:00 AM
I think Lyman stopped selling bottom pour pots.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-mag-20-electric-furnace.html

Lyman's web site shows a bottom pour for $319.95 that's digitally controlled which is supposed to be available late 2014.

dragon813gt
11-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Lyman's web site shows a bottom pour for $319.95 that's digitally controlled which is supposed to be available late 2014.

That thing is a Unicorn. It's been pushed back for two years now. I don't think you will ever see that pot on the shelves.

youngmman
11-21-2014, 11:11 AM

I use a Master Pot and it's the best investment in Casting I ever made. Prior to the Master Pot I used a Lyman Mag 20 which was in between the RCBS and LEE in terms of price but now it's not made anymore. Lyman seems to be having an unreal amount of trouble with the new (Chinese) pot that it says its coming but never gets here at least to my knowledge so far.

Yodogsandman
11-21-2014, 11:36 AM
I went ahead and bought it, despite it going up to $58. However, they must be doing some kind of special as they gave me a $10 hunting credit!!! I will do some mods to get it the way I want it.

You won't be sorry you pulled the trigger!

Yodogsandman
11-21-2014, 11:44 AM
dikman, Thanks! Those photos are just what I needed. Now I can see what I need and how to make it happen.