PDA

View Full Version : trying to free up some bench space

rmatchell
11-19-2014, 01:03 PM

Its ugly, but I now can mount 7 different presses in one space on my bench. I took a piece of 1/2 inch plate and drilled and tapped for all of my smaller presses and case trimme.

paul h
11-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Nicely done!

Man, I'd hate to switch and swap presses.

rmatchell
11-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Its not to bad I can change out a press in a few mins. Im using it for sizing presses and everything other than my rock chucker.

country gent
11-19-2014, 02:00 PM
I used a piece of 1/2" X 6" X 6" plate with 1/4" x 1" down each side then a piece of 1/4" x 1 1/2 on top of that. drill clearce thru top plate tapped holes in 1/2" plate 4 per side. I then used 1/4 X 4 x 6" with a 3/8 X 3 x 6 spacer on top. this slides in the grooves the 4 bolts lock everything down tight. Allows me to mount presses, trimmers , and equipment fast and easy no searching for the correct holes. I inletted it into the bench top with a router so only the top rail is above the surface. Makes a slide in mount and a new slide can be made for each piece you want to mount.

bear67
11-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Looks like a great solution. One of my benches that I mount presses on is 3/8" mild steel and I drill and tap holes for some of the presses. (the first presses mounted were drilled through and bolted, but I don't plan on taking these 2 off currently) My RCBS bench primer might get taken off to give space and I run a common set screw flush with the top of the table top/plate and the threads stay clean and things do not fall into the open hole. I even have a Dillon strong mount mounted this way and it has weathered untold thousands of handle pulls.

My shotgun presses are now mounted on hardwood 3/4" plywood bases and I am going to drill a common pattern on the boards and drill and tap mounting holes on the metal workbench on the opposite side of the shop. Take it off and lay a piece of rubber or carpet on the bench top and makes a quick conversion. Lots of different ways to skin a rabbit.

rmatchell
11-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Im happy to have an extra 6 foot of bench space.

DeputyDog25
11-24-2014, 12:17 PM
I used a piece of 1/2" X 6" X 6" plate with 1/4" x 1" down each side then a piece of 1/4" x 1 1/2 on top of that. drill clearce thru top plate tapped holes in 1/2" plate 4 per side. I then used 1/4 X 4 x 6" with a 3/8 X 3 x 6 spacer on top. this slides in the grooves the 4 bolts lock everything down tight. Allows me to mount presses, trimmers , and equipment fast and easy no searching for the correct holes. I inletted it into the bench top with a router so only the top rail is above the surface. Makes a slide in mount and a new slide can be made for each piece you want to mount.

I would love to see a picture of this, this sounds really nice.