PDA

View Full Version : Crimp for a 22lr?

inspector_17
11-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Is there such a device to crimp 22's? Would this help with accuracy?

w30wcf
11-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Inspector 17,
.22's as they come from the factory are crimped but if one wants to put more of a crimp on them, Bernie at Old West Molds offers a crimp die for .22 L.R.'s.
He does not show it on his website, but if you email him, he should respond.
http://www.oldwestbulletmoulds.com/

w30wcf

wv109323
11-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Re-crimping the 22LR would make just one aspect more consistent. Like others have already said there are many more things that contribute to the overall accuracy of the round. Some measure rim thickness and claim this helps accuracy but consistency is up to the manufacturer. The more consistent and the more accurate the round is the more expensive.

**oneshot**
11-20-2014, 04:01 PM
I don't know about crimping them more, I do know that the "paco kelly tool" or "D'rock" tools have been proven to work. They are used to bump the bullet up in diameter. I use a D'rock tool to make hollowpoints and flat points for hunting. It really helps accuracy and to stop fliers. It's not going to make junk ammo shoot like target ammo but it will make good ammo shoot very good. I use it alot on CCI standard velocity ammo and it works great.

5Shot
11-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Might help...might. When my daughter was shooting small bore rifle, they use Eley. The different grades are based on lot performance shot in proven barrels in a test fixture. It is all done on the same machinery and packaged according to performance. Tenex is the most accurate and most expensive, Club the cheapest and least accurate. All came from the same equip. Apparently there is no secret formula...just depends on how that particular lot gets put together. Match shooters find a lot that works and buy cases of it.