PDA

View Full Version : When to Whisker a Sugar Maple Stock

1874Sharps
11-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Gentlemen:

I am working on a Herman Rupp flintlock rifle and have finally whittled down the stock to where it is about ready for the floral and leaf carving. The question I have is when is the right time to whisker the wood? Should I whisker the stock before or after the carving? Does it matter? Any help from you experienced flintlock rifle builders would be much appreciated.

Joel

joesig
11-19-2014, 02:56 AM
I only have one "from a hunk of wood" stock to my name. I would think you'd want to dewhisker it before checkering so the checkering isn't in any danger from additional work.

Hopefully the bump will bring along someone with more experience to comment.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
11-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Before. Whisker it and seal it before carving.

waksupi
11-19-2014, 12:57 PM
I quit whiskering stocks years ago. I go down to 320, then steel wool the stock. Do the carving, smooth it out, and then apply finish. When the finish is good, steel wool with OOOO, and final polish with paper towel. I have never had grain raise doing this, and I have done more than a few exhibition grade rifles.

gnoahhh
11-19-2014, 02:27 PM
I started out back in the Stone Age by whiskering my stocks because everybody said to do it, it seemed. Now, I haven't whiskered a stock (or anything else) made of any wood for a couple decades. No problems. I also avoid the whiskering problem on my facial hide by simply having let my beard grow- a different kind of whiskering! :)

1874Sharps
11-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Thank you, gentlemen for your advice!

Joel

KCSO
11-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Waksupi has got it again, this is how i do mine,