PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit Diameters?

TK Grogg
02-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I purchased a number of cast boolits a year or so ago and there was some 30 cal. boolits I believe were cast for an o3A3 Springfield. They were of different weights--169--173 grn . These mike at .312 dia before sizing. I have one with a gas check that mikes at .309 dia. My question is: how many thousandths over the bore dia. can these be safely fired. I want to shoot them in a DPMS AR-10 in .308 cal but have no idea if they are hard cast or what. What velocity should these be fired--slow--medium--fast or do you just have to start slow and work up? I do have a Lyman 45 boolit sizer with the proper dies.
I don't post alot but I do read alot. Had a couple of sales last year. One to Floodgate and one to Bull Shop that went very well. Thanks

NVcurmudgeon
02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I size boolits to .3105" for several .30 caliber rifles in . 30/30, .30 Remington, .308, .30/40, and .30/06. These barrels all measure between .3080" and .3095" groove diameter, so I am sizing .0010" to .0025" over, which is ideal for accuracy. This small amount of oversize does not cause hard chambering or pressure problems as there is sufficient neck clearance around the laded cartridge. I have been blessed with several .30 cal. moulds that cast a little oversize, which is a good thing.

Buckshot
02-12-2008, 01:52 AM
................If the throat is + two or three thou of the groove, size to the throat. Just make sure the caseneck will be able to release the boolit. If not, then size to allow the neck to expand enough to do that. The cast boolit needs some guidance in it's travels from the caseneck and into the lands straight for optimum results. Sometimes things just aren't quite right and you have to compromise, and if so always try to do it in the boolit's favor.

................Buckshot

Bass Ackward
02-12-2008, 06:31 AM
What velocity should these be fired--slow--medium--fast or do you just have to start slow and work up? I do have a Lyman 45 boolit sizer with the proper dies.

TK,

You always start low and work up don't ya?

Chances are you can or will have accuracy with different loads / powders that work at all three ranges. But .... chances are that the faster you want to go, the smaller in diameter you will want to be. At least that is the trend for me.

runfiverun
02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
if you are gonna go fast the boolit ideally should be an exact fit to your nice shiny smooth
barell, slow to mid go just a bit o-size the faster the harder and dont forget about gas check
fun

runfiverun