PDA

View Full Version : trying to decide on a 20 gauge rifled shotgun for slugs

trickyasafox
11-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Salutations fellow CBers~

I'm looking for a new shotgun in 20 gauge for deer season, and I was hoping to go with a rifled setup. I have had a 20 gauge encore, and it was an utter disappointment. Has anyone had good luck with a 20ga with a rifled barrel for around 500 not counting optic? I see the savage 220 is getting a lot of talk, but I don't know anyone who actually owns one. Am I better off just buying an 870 or 500 with a rifled barrel, or trying one of these new dedicated sluggers?

garandsrus
11-18-2014, 12:52 PM
I have a Savage 220 and love it. I also have a H&R Ultra Slug gun in 20ga and like it too. I prefer the Savage though.

I have a Hastings barrel in 12ga for an 870 with a cantilever scope mount and have always been disappointed with it.

jmort
11-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Would like to get one of these- they come in 12 and 20 gauge

http://www.ithacagun.com/deerslayer3.php

Janoosh
11-19-2014, 11:16 AM
I've used a H+R slugger in 20, it's a light gun and good for walking around. Accurate with Win slugs to 80 yds.
I've used a H+R Ultra slug in 20 for a just sitting around as it's a heavy gun.
Accurate with old BRI slugs to 100.
I've used an Ithaca deer slayer (12)as my "need to.get a deer" gun. It's my baby. And a smoothbore, long barrel.
Accurate at 100 with Brenneke KO slugs
Accurate defined as 2-4 inches at 100.
Slugs and sabots waaay expensive, so I use a muzzle loader now.
For a first, dedicated, 20 ga. slug gun, the H+R ultra slug Hunter can't be beat.
Hope this helps.

bdicki
11-19-2014, 11:48 AM
I have an Encore 20 ga Pro Hunter and it is the most accurate slug gun I have ever used. Remington core loc ultra slugs. my wife uses a Remington 1187 20 ga with a cantilever rifled barrel and it shoots good too. But I'll never get rid of the Encore.

pietro
11-19-2014, 12:02 PM

I've been using this 20ga Ithaca Deerslayer to get my venison for the past 25 years - (undersize) smoothbored 22" bbl allows me to hit a vertical (practice) 2x4 stud, that's 75 yards away.

http://s26.postimg.org/60p0olcs9/DSCN1902.jpg

cpileri
11-19-2014, 12:14 PM
I'd also like to try the Deerslayer, since the barrel is mor esolidly mounted. I owe that advice to greg5278.

But I am very pleased w the NEF heavy barrel USH. Its only a single shot, and ther is comfort when having a follow up shot more quickly available.

FergusonTO35
11-21-2014, 11:49 AM
I just bought a like new Remmy 870 Express 20 gauge with the 26" VR barrel. Although its not required here I would like to experiment with slugs. I have a bunch of Remington and Federal rifled slug rounds I got a good deal on so why not. I'm thinking about picking up a rifled tube and a set of clamp on Williams sights for it. Does this sound like a good idea? Is there another tube that would likely work better? Eventually I would like to get into rolling my own slug and shot rounds.

6pt-sika
11-21-2014, 07:39 PM
I've had a Savage 220 fir about 5 years and it does very nicely with Remington factory loaded AccuBonds . First deer I ever killed with it was getting close to 150 yards when I touched the trigger . Deer dropped after a 15 yard walk . I had the H&R Ultra Deluxe and it also did nicely .

6pt-sika
11-21-2014, 07:42 PM
You didn't ask but I also have a Savage 210F 12 gauge bolt action rifled slugger . Had that one fir about 16 years and it also does very well with Remington AccuBond sabot slugs .

jroc
11-22-2014, 08:10 PM
I have an encore with a 20 ga slug barrel topped with a 3-9 leupold and it is very accurate. Shoot Hornady SST's. 2.5" groups at 100 yds

trickyasafox
11-27-2014, 12:27 AM
I ordered up a savage 220, I had terrible luck with an encore 20 gauge barrel I had (and a few other encore barrels to be honest) kinda scared me off of them for a while.

GhostHawk
11-27-2014, 10:43 AM
I grew up in shotgun slug area. Hunted with a 20 Gauge Rem 870 for years. Smoothbore

I learned a couple of things that really helped me get deer over the years.

A Don't stand out in the middle of a field like a scarecrow. Find cover, use it.

B If they are coming my way let them come. The closer they are the easier they are to hit.

C At close range it doesn't much matter which shotgun you use.

If it was me, I'd start with something like the 870, that it is easy to change barrels with later.
The pump guns also give you a quick follow up shot which is a real plus IMO.

Then next year or the year after spend the money on a rifled slug barrel.

Some people see big increase in accuracy.
To be honest, I never saw one that was enough better to make me want to buy one.

As long as you can hit a paper plate at 50 yards every time you can make meat.
The thing to remember is that out in the field that paper plate is bouncing up and down as it races forward.
Makes it a tough target.

hubel458
11-28-2014, 03:42 AM
Give a consideration to our 24ga FH, reloadable brass cases,
we got barrels, can go in many guns, even can be mono-blocked in
singleshots. Rifled barrels with many styles of the .585"(24ga size)
Minie bullets they get power like a 458 WIN.
A little brother to our 585HE.Same bore size.Ed

Charlie U.
12-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Hi tricky,
IMO the best new rifled shotguns you could get are:
1) If money is no object then go right to the front of the slug gun line and try the Ithaca Deerslayer III. Outstanding slug gun in 12ga or 20ga but you pay top dollar for them.
2) For the price its hard to beat the H&R ultra sluggers. Once you find the right slug for it they are accurate as all get out. My brother and I both use them and we both are pleased with them. He uses the 20ga and I have a 12ga. I like the firepower and have a broader selection when it comes to factory fodder while he prefers less recoil and sees my 12ga as being too much of a good thing. The deer don't care.....they die just as dead.
3) The Savage 220 and 212 bolt slug guns would be my next choice and for a few hundred more will give you faster follow up shots. The all stainless 220F is darn nice looking.

Remiel
12-07-2014, 01:39 AM
the only one not listed is the mossberg 500 in 20 ga, wife got one for deer season this year and loves it, hers came with a BSA 3x9 scope second shot barrel(smoothbore) and interchangeable cheek risers, it is her dedicated slug gon that sits next to its twin that is her target/turkey gun, but i do agree on the Ithaca i have a mod 37 featherlight deerslayer made in '83 that i inherited, mine is a 12ga but my smith has one in 20ga as well, if i had the coin i would be getting the Ithaca in 20, but the mossy is a very good bang for the buck

CLAYPOOL
12-08-2014, 09:57 PM
The old Marlin Slug Masters are selling very high on gun broker for a reason. Very good bolt actions. 12 Ga. only as far as I know. The best one that has been shot on my place was a browning Pump gun, 12 Ga. smooth bore. The bad part was @ 40 yards it shot 12 inches or so high. Lots of Kentucky wind age. Boy was it death on ducks and geese decoying though..! Sean one 870 wing master that would touch @ 50 yards with Brenkes. (sp)