PDA

View Full Version : Good day to cast.

44man
11-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Cold and raining. We needed .44 boolits. Friend Pete came over so I heated the mold and pot. Bad thing is my .44 mold is single cavity. I showed Pete how to cast and first boolit was perfect. We ran a few hundred without a single reject. New alloy of 16# of WW's and 4# of stereo lead casts so good it is unreal. No torn sprues, clean cuts. Real sharp edges.
He is still a little messy but fell into the groove. I sorted through all of his and not a single bad one so I loaded some rounds for him. He took the rest home to find he has no GC's or the .431" size die needed.
I never shot this alloy so will try and get down today to see what I have. Cold and windy out.
It is a pleasure to not have to toss a boolit back in the pot.
Pete never, ever made a good boolit before and is going to buy a Lee pot now. He is disgusted with the price of LBT's and mine is a close copy at 330 gr with an ogive better for the cone.

Springfield
11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
What is Stereo lead?

white eagle
11-18-2014, 11:38 AM
sounds good to me
let her rip

waco
11-18-2014, 01:57 PM
What is Stereo lead?

Im guessing stereotype.

Jack Stanley
11-18-2014, 02:42 PM
A good day for casting you say ? Our daybreak came with temperatures in the single digits , not being a deer hunter I was not out enjoying the weather . The other night though I did mix up about thirty six pounds of alloy . It amounted to whatever was left in the pot from last time mixed with range scrap , pure lead and a little solder . I used an old core mould to make a few samples for testing and as cast they were five to six bhn . Twenty-four hours later they were six to seven , I need to check them today and see if they have hardened up a little more before I turn it into thirty pounds of Lyman 225462 bullets . Today would be a good day for that .

Jack

44man
11-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Yeah, stereotype, 6% tin and 14% antimony. Got a huge ingot for $5. It is really cold and windy today but just have to shoot the things.

warf73
11-20-2014, 02:25 AM
You have a pic of the mold 44man? I'm guessing its one of the molds you made?

44man
11-20-2014, 03:40 PM
I will take a picture later, Yes, one I made.

ColColt
11-20-2014, 06:39 PM
I had planned on going to the range today but had trouble with the garage door so called about that. I had to wait for them so, not knowing exactly when they would be here(I was told between 12:00-3:00) that sort of shot my range date. In the interim I decided may as well do some casting with the Brook's Postell 530 gr bullet. It was 49 degrees and I left the garage door open for the two hours I cast and didn't freeze despite being on the blood thinners.

44man
11-21-2014, 09:15 AM
I took a hell of a fall in the barn, Hit my left forearm on concrete and jammed my shoulder. Mon is opening day too, hope by then I can lift my arm.
We were pulling white oak rough sawn and I got my feet tangled in junk.

tazman
11-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Really bad timing.
Take it easy and use some anti inflammatory medicine. Hopefully you can recover quickly.

tomme boy
11-21-2014, 11:36 PM
I feel your pain. I can't feel my feet all the time. I have taken a bunch of falls this year from it. Ibuprofen and muscle relaxers are my best friend anymore.