PDA

View Full Version : Question about used Handy Rifle barrels.

45-70 Chevroner
11-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Has anyone on here ever bought a used barrel and had it work properly with out any modifications?, and can you get used barrels? My biggest question is why don't all Handy Rifle barrels interchange, like Conterder barrels. I know there are two frame types and rifle caliber barrels must be put only on SB2 frames and pistol barrels can be used on SB1 or SB2 frames. I see that some of you have more than 1 frame and barrel, but have you tried to interchange them?

pietro
11-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Yep, I've done a few - some drop-in/fit;others need to be fitted, IDK why.

I suppose it might be due to some internal factory changes to the pivot and/or locking system.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-18-2014, 12:36 PM
The main reason is H&R factory tolerances are so loose. They can keep the price point lower by not having them all the
exactly the same. They have a pile of actions, and a pile of barrels and mix and match till one fits correctly (most of the time)
I had to send a back a brand new never fired 25-06 back that the barrel was floppy side to side. most of the fit issues involve the hinge pin
and are fairly easily fixed by either filing or shimming. The barrel latch is the number 2 issue sometimes. Dont be afraid to buy a used
Handi Barrel. With their accessory barrel program ending, they will hold their value

parson48
11-18-2014, 02:09 PM
I have owned 3 handi rifles, still have 2, and all 3 barrels locked up tight on all 3 frames with no fitting required. I don't know how common this is.

Marshwalker
11-18-2014, 03:06 PM
I've had one lock up tight, one that locks tight but has a small side to side wobble and one that won't lock up... like mentioned above, minor filing on the lug at the hinge pin seat or shimming usually fixes this issue... as far as the side to side wiggle, it may be the same, i'm not sure yet... I haven't messed with that one up to this point. Outside of abused stuff, I wouldn't be afraid of buying a used handi barrel.

Tackleberry41
11-18-2014, 04:08 PM
I bought a 45-70 barrel off ebay, it dropped right into my 45-70 without a hitch, I have another rifle in 22 hornet, its tight but will lock up in the 45-70.

Makes you wonder did the math work out slightly cheaper to have looser tolerances and spend the time switching barrels to find matches, vs just make them to tighter tolerances like a contender and everything fits everything else?

troyboy
11-18-2014, 07:08 PM
It is not difficult to fit a used barrel if need be. Used barrels are available. Spend some time in the Handi forum on Greybeard outdoors reading the stikies. More information then you can imagine.

C. Latch
11-18-2014, 07:17 PM
I'm probably going to miss out on the accessory barrel program, and I'm probably going to regret it.

My oldest girl is 3. I can't imagine a better starter gun than a .38/357/357MAX handi-rifle. I just can't justify spending the money right now.

rking22
11-18-2014, 08:26 PM
I just loaned my Handy 357 and a 3030 barrel for a friends daughter to try out. They are now sold on it and in the market to find her one. Sure hope Rem has a real plan, like tightening the manufacturing tolerances and selling extra barrels, ala TC. They will need to make the new barrels not fit the old frames to satisify their lawyers I suspect. Hope they don't scew it up, ala R51 :)

jmort
11-18-2014, 08:29 PM
The barrels on eBay are going for north of $150 with multiple bids. I can get one from the factory for that.

seaboltm
11-18-2014, 08:36 PM
I bought a 45-70 barrel off ebay, it dropped right into my 45-70 without a hitch, I have another rifle in 22 hornet, its tight but will lock up in the 45-70.

Makes you wonder did the math work out slightly cheaper to have looser tolerances and spend the time switching barrels to find matches, vs just make them to tighter tolerances like a contender and everything fits everything else?

Contenders are known to have problems and are not always drop in either. I believed that myth too, until I bought a couple of used Contender barrels that would not work on my frame with some tinkering.

Artful
11-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Contenders are known to have problems and are not always drop in either. I believed that myth too, until I bought a couple of used Contender barrels that would not work on my frame with some tinkering.

True that - I have a frame from early on and some of the newer barrels require work to fit my Contender.
I hope that the Handy stays around as it has a good following.

crowbarforge
11-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Lucky for once, I bought a new handi-rifle in .357 Max way back when. Also found a used .30-30 two years back. I am happy. Cannot wait to start my CB load work...

GhostHawk
11-18-2014, 10:35 PM
I suspect if you keep an eye open in places like gunbroker or bud's gun shop that you'll see .357 handi's for sale for years to come.
They are a little tight right now, but keep your eye's open and one will find you.

Granted it may not be quite as nice as swapping barrels, but I agree with you in that I think a .38 special/.357 handi single shot would be an awesome gun to learn on. You can always rent a reamer and take it out to .357 max down the road.

I'm probably going to miss out on the accessory barrel program, and I'm probably going to regret it.

My oldest girl is 3. I can't imagine a better starter gun than a .38/357/357MAX handi-rifle. I just can't justify spending the money right now.

Lonegun1894
11-19-2014, 04:41 AM
I know this isn't safe to fire them all like this due to the SB1 and SB2 frames, but a few friends and I got curious and brought our NEFs and H&Rs together for a little barrel swapping. Now, included were 16 different guns, both rifles and shotguns, and with 2 exceptions, the rest would fit and lock on any frame we had. Out of the bunch, there was one .45-70 that would not lock on 2 out of 16 frames, and one .300 BO that would only lock on 3 out of 16 frames. I know this is a very small sample out of who knows how many of these have been made, and no attempt was made to fire any of these on any frame other than the ones we have them fitted to, but I figure that that is pretty good odds. Included in the mix was a .44 Mag that I fitted to a SB2 frame, and it only took 3-4 light strokes of a fine file on the latch to make it fit. I'd say if you find a barrel you like, get it, cause they aren't hard to fit at all.

taco650
11-21-2014, 01:47 PM
I's just like to find a used Handi or NEF that I could afford! Saw a used NEF Handi in .500S&W with Nikon scope in the pawn shop today. They wanted $359 for it! The 500 wasn't an issue (although I don't need something that big to kill deer and hogs) and neither is having a scope but for what I want to do with it, it doesn't need a Nikon. I hope Remington keeps making them.

dlbarr
11-22-2014, 07:20 PM
The barrels on eBay are going for north of $150 with multiple bids. I can get one from the factory for that.

Probably not anymore...I just checked yesterday and they had very little left and nothing that I was interested in. BAP ends 12/31 and they are apparently almost out of everything already.

jaysouth
11-27-2014, 09:56 PM

There is a hot rumor going around Graybeard that the BAP (barrel accessory program) has been discontinued. My last accessory barrel was $168 from the factory and poorly fitted and not accurate at all. Too bad, I really liked playing around with handis. I am looking at a CVA hunter in .35 Rem.

jmort
11-27-2014, 10:39 PM
There better be something left as they just got two receivers from me. Supposed to be .357 and .30-30.

GhostHawk
11-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Jaysouth it is not a rumor, it has been confirmed by at least 3 different sources.

I have a reciever there now being fitted, slipped it in just in time (I hope)

I do know that I was charged 144$ for a .44 mag barrel, fitting, and shipping.

If yours was that much more chances are it was stainless or something other than the run of the mill.

As to accuracy, go browse how many happy Rossi single shot customers are happy.
I read more accounts about bent barrels, crooked barrels, barrels with a bulge in the bore at the sight dovetail than any reputable company should have in 10 years.

The only Handi rifle barrel that I can speak about for accuracy is a .223 in a Ultra bull barrel. And in a 30 mph crosswind gusting to over 35 it did great.

I do know that handi rifles like to be "shot in" up to 80 rounds before they really settle in.
And don't clean the bore. They seem to prefer being dirty.

Other than that there are a few things that can make a huge difference. Like an o-ring on the forearm stud, like putting support right in front of the hinge, and no where else.

Graybeard outdoors has a whole section just on Handi Rifles, and their FAQ page is HUGE.
If you have one I would plan on spending a week or 2 reading.

jmort
11-27-2014, 10:51 PM
They have told me twice no more barrel accessory program.

EDG
11-28-2014, 11:30 AM
The Handi's suffer from 2 shortcomings.

1. The design is not ideal for holding all the inter-related parts to very close tolerances but it could be done with good processes in the shop.

2. The shop processes are not well engineered so H&R just made up for it with hand fitting - which is a bad idea.

I have examined this in my Handis.
I have BC 45-70 , a Target Model 38-55 and a spare 20 gauge barrel.

Neither of the two rifle barrels will fit the other receiver. The 20 gauge fits neither receiver.

If every receiver was fitted to a standard barrel gauge
and every barrel fitted to a standard receiver gauge all barrels would interchange on all frames.

NoAngel
11-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Yep, had to get an extractor from them last week. Was told the same. No more barrels.