PDA

View Full Version : Digital thermometer $19.99

AZ-Stew
02-11-2008, 06:11 PM
It looks like Harbor Freight has a new vehicle for their digital thermometers. I saw one in the store the other day, and on their web site, it's on sale for $19.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37772

It appears they've combined it with a multi-meter, so you get several tools in one unit.

One drawback, though. I can't find anything on the package or in the ad that indicates the unit will read in degrees F. You'd have to make a conversion chart (easy) to hang on the wall near your casting pot to easily tell what temp you're reading when casting.

Regards,

Stew

miestro_jerry
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Stew,

I use a lot of HF stuff around my machine shop and the stuff is alright, but I buy it on the basis that it is disposable if there is something wrong.

Jerry

AZ-Stew
02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Jerry,

I've had one of their units that is only a digital thermometer for a couple of years and it continues to work fine. I did have to replace a thermocouple (<$2) because I left it in the pot through several room temp - casting temp cycles, but otherwise, it's been a good tool. On the other hand, it was much more expensive. I paid about $26 for it. ;)

jhrosier
02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Stew,
I have one of those, bought a couple years ago.
The temp probe is not shielded and probably wouldn't work in contact with molten lead.
It does use a type-F thermocouple though. You can get a repacement thermocouple for around $20, IIRC, from Omega.

Jack

AZ-Stew
02-12-2008, 02:50 AM
As noted, I bought extra thermocouples for less than $2 each. It works great with the bare thermocouple simply dipped into the melt in the pot. What doesn't work is leaving it in the pot when you turn the pot off and let it cool to room temp, heat it up again, and repeat the cycle several times. If you remove the thermocouple from the pot before ending a casting session, the thermocouple keeps working. The thermocouple is the weakest part of the system. Fortunately, replacements are cheap. Not abusing them is even cheaper.

Regarads,

Stew