PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating as a suspension for ???

Huvius
11-17-2014, 10:45 PM
So I have taken the plunge and started PCing some boolits having in mind the advantages it could have over plain lubed projectiles.
Now, I am reading that some folks here are actually seeing a polishing effect in their bores.
A while back, I read an article by Ross Seyfried in the Double Gun and Singleshot Journal about fire-lapping a rifle which had a tight spot about halfway down the bore. He did this by rolling a soft lead boolit over some rubbing compound on a glass pane to evenly impregnate the surface of the boolit with compound and then loading the case with such a light load as to just spit the boolit out the barrel thus polishing the bore and lapping out the tight spot.
My pondering is, can PC powder be blended with some type of fine abrasive so the boolit acts as a polishing or honing tool to either clean out frosting or a rough spot in a barrel?
Surely, somebody must have a dark bore that needs to be experimented on!

jroc
11-18-2014, 12:14 AM
My question - is PC powder already a fine abrasive and doing any damage to a bore. Even ever so slightly?

clearcut
11-18-2014, 01:16 AM
I know that the paint I run in my airless sprayer painting houses abrades the ball valve to the point they won't shut down,but it's not PC. It is the pigment titanium oxide that is a hard abrasive.I don't know what the pigment is in PC.
CC

sparkeyu
11-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Ive been thinking the same thing and wondering if you could add abrasive and use to fire lap a barrel

flyingmonkey35
11-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Short answer.

Yes it can.

Say like add some
*Grit Extra Fine Glass Blasting Abrasive

Just not sure how many sandpaper rounds you would want to shoot. For the effect your looking for.

clearcut
11-21-2014, 12:35 AM
Or Ajax .....

ioon44
11-21-2014, 09:17 AM
My question - is PC powder already a fine abrasive and doing any damage to a bore. Even ever so slightly?

In my experience with PC showed it to be abrasive in 8 different barrels. I was using high gloss black, I posted my findings in the "super durable gloss black" thread of 11-5-2014.

bangerjim
11-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Do what you feel best for your situation. There are way too many variables to just flatly say "PC is ruining my barrels". Size, thickness, speed, load, amb temp, weight, shape, etc all come into play.

I have not seen ANY detrimental effects. But have seen clean barrels, no leading, no smoke, no grease, non-sticky bolits. long-term storage advantages. I do not push PC over ~1200FPS. Above that, all FMJ's. And Cu DOES wear out a barrel......proved over many years of useage.

Again, your choice. Hundreds, if not thousands, of us are happy with PC.

Have fun shooting, no matter what kind of boolits you elect to use!

banger

Avery Arms
11-21-2014, 05:47 PM
It may be possible but how much time and money are you prepared to spend perfecting a new fire lapping method that is more complicated than the old ways? Also once you have ground that old barrel smooth you will probably need a new throat and crown which means setting it back and cutting a new chamber. Usually you are better off just replacing the worn out barrel with a new one or trading in that worn out milsurp for one in better condition.

As for the powder itself every color and brand is different and none are actually designed for bullets so you can't just lump them all together and say they will or won't cause bore damage. For that matter a lot of factory bullets are capable of ruining barrels under the right circumstances such as firing steel jacket 5.45 or 5.56 through a hot, unlined barrel.

If you want to blaze new trails there will always be risks involved but you can still use common sense and test new coatings in an inexpensive drop-in barrel before you fire them through every gun you own.

gpidaho
11-21-2014, 08:39 PM
The abrasive effects of PC is such a reoccurring theme. Why is this abrasion so worried over while most of us shoot lead that is full of abrading substances. Look at range scrap or wheel weights. I think the PC coating has to be slicker than the lead beneath. I'm sold on PC and don't worry about using boolits so coated in even my best guns. GP

bangerjim
11-21-2014, 11:33 PM
^^^^^^^^^AMEN^^^^^^^^^^^

banger