PDA

View Full Version : Zastava M70 Mannlicher Stock

Drphilwv
11-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Howdy all!
Centerfire had a sale on these a while back and I was able to get one shipped to my FFL and OTD with transfer fees under $500. This one is 30-06. Pentax Gameseeker III 4-12X40.
The load is a 180gr gas checked RNHP from Western Bullet. 20gr 2400 and CCI 200 LR primer. Today the snow was falling so I didn't chrono. This was a new scope so I was hastily walking it across the wet target at 25 then 50 yds. The last 4 are the ones on and above the bull. Not bad for a first time CB loader!!! If the holes look a bit out of round the target was on a piece of plywood leaning on a box. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/17/853ad21aa45a17bfd5769b958a0d642d.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/17/a69e4dfb0c39808a04c055145a8decf0.jpg

williamwaco
11-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Pretty is as pretty does!

fatnhappy
11-17-2014, 08:19 PM
that looks like a solid hunting rifle right there. I'd be happy to tote it afield.

nekshot
11-19-2014, 05:48 PM
very nice for sure. Take that up to Mount Storm and shoot a buck and really be happy!

35 shooter
11-24-2014, 12:29 AM
Very nice looking rifle and a great start with it. Looks hunt ready to me!

rexherring
11-25-2014, 03:06 PM
I've been looking for one of those too but can't find one anywhere. Nice rifle and good group.

Huffmanite
12-02-2014, 12:47 PM
For you gents that live in a southern state with an Academy Sports & Outdoors Store in your area. Might want to visit/call your Academy store to check for a M70 Zavasta rifle.....they should be on clearance. Zavasta stock on their rifle is not a mannlicher style, but except for the forend, same stock. My local Academy, just north of Houston,Tx has them marked down to $350, did sell for $460. Gent I shoot with bought two of them just for the actions to build on.

Frank46
12-06-2014, 01:11 AM
I have a Charles Daly zastave 30-06 action that has a few minor problems. ectractor collar rubs the receiver ring. A little stoning and polishing will take care of that. Been thinking of putting in a standard military trigger because I've grown up shooting mil surps and prefer the two stage. Got a couple in my stash. Frank

3006mv
01-09-2015, 09:18 PM
I love my .308
two wishes: the double set trigger was available and I wish I could figure out how to mount a scout scope on it.

CJR
01-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Drphilwv,

My Pentax 8.5-32x50 Gameseeker scope started off fine, then the zero started changing. Pentax replaced it and the new one was fine for a week and then started changing zero. Suggestion. Next time at the range, remove the scope caps and mark down the windage and elevation settings. Keep checking them. I had to finally design and make locking turrets and now everything is fine. The Pentax optics are superb.

Best regards,

CJR

Four Fingers of Death
01-23-2015, 12:43 AM
They are good rifles and only require a bit of elbow grease or a hundred rounds or so to smooth them up. A friend of mine who is a gun shop owner here has visited the factory twice and he says that the machinery that they use was confiscated at the end of WW1 from the Mauser factory under the Versailles treaty. The barrels feature cut rifling and that is why they are invariably very accurate. I have five of them, great guns, but they don't chamber the 338WM.

3006mv
03-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know if double set trigger is an available drop in part. I noticed the new models but regular Monte Carlo stock have them.

35 shooter
03-13-2015, 12:06 AM
They are good rifles and only require a bit of elbow grease or a hundred rounds or so to smooth them up. A friend of mine who is a gun shop owner here has visited the factory twice and he says that the machinery that they use was confiscated at the end of WW1 from the Mauser factory under the Versailles treaty. The barrels feature cut rifling and that is why they are invariably very accurate. I have five of them, great guns, but they don't chamber the 338WM.
Are parts available in Australia from Zastava? I can't find anyone in the U.S. that carries them. I ordered one in .308 the other day anyway. I think this is a 98 clone action but parts don't perfectly interchange from a 98 do they?

Four Fingers of Death
03-13-2015, 04:37 AM
Not being a smarta $$, but these have been kicking around Australia since the early 70s that I am aware and I've never heard of anyone needing any. I've been using them since the mid 80s and they haven't missed a beat. I will ring my mate who sells a lot of them and ask him about the spare parts scene.

35 shooter
03-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Not being a smarta $$, but these have been kicking around Australia since the early 70s that I am aware and I've never heard of anyone needing any. I've been using them since the mid 80s and they haven't missed a beat. I will ring my mate who sells a lot of them and ask him about the spare parts scene.
Yea, being a mauser i wouldn't expect any problems. Still good to hear a good report on them though.
I did a search on them the other night in the archives here and that's where the parts thing came up. I ordered one the other day in .308 as i said and thinking of ordering another as the price is hard to beat. I'd like to have one converted to .358 win. via a rebore or bbl. switch.
What i found on my search for parts was Zastava didn't complete the paper work to export parts here...just the complete guns. Doesn't sound right, but that's what i read?
Anyway one guy had an extractor problem and modified a 98 extractor to fit with no problems. Another got his part through Australia. This was all years ago so parts may be available here now, but i haven't found a source yet.
Didn't keep me from ordering one though...one of the best gun buy deals out there.
Don't think i will ever have a problem with it and i know guys here that can "make" anything
i would ever need anyway.
Can't wait to get my hands on this one!! Thanks for checking for me though.

Four Fingers of Death
03-14-2015, 04:01 AM
I spoke to Ron Owen of Owen Guns in Gympie, Queensland and he said he has been selling them as long as he remembers and he said he can't remember a problem with them or ever having a warranty return. He said that that was a good thing as the importers were Beretta Australia and their staff didn't have a clue. He said that the only parts be regularly orders from them are for Uberti guns and they never cease to amaze him how they get the orders confused.

He felt that the things that could go wrong were the W spring in the mag and the extractor and these were the same as the Mausers and Parker Hale.

35 shooter
03-14-2015, 09:50 PM
I spoke to Ron Owen of Owen Guns in Gympie, Queensland and he said he has been selling them as long as he remembers and he said he can't remember a problem with them or ever having a warranty return. He said that that was a good thing as the importers were Beretta Australia and their staff didn't have a clue. He said that the only parts be regularly orders from them are for Uberti guns and they never cease to amaze him how they get the orders confused.

He felt that the things that could go wrong were the W spring in the mag and the extractor and these were the same as the Mausers and Parker Hale.
Thanks for checking. That's about what i found in my search here. As i said they are a good deal for the money any way you look at it and i would buy one or ten if that's what i wanted with confidence.
Once i get this one in my hands i may well order another before the closeout at Academy is over!:smile:

CHeatermk3
03-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Rats-no Academy Soprts here in the PNW...

oldblinddog
03-29-2015, 02:31 AM
Is there some restriction on importing these now....something I heard the other day?

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2015, 08:19 AM
There used to be a ban on importing guns (and other things I suppose) from communist countries into the US, but that ended some years ago.

oldblinddog
03-31-2015, 08:20 PM
That's what I thought, but my informant seemed to think it was new and only applied to Serbia.

Four Fingers of Death
03-31-2015, 10:06 PM
It may have been Serbia recently, but it was communist countries originally and that is why CZ/Brnos and Chinese guns were not available in the US for many