PDA

View Full Version : Wrinkled Round Balls

greybeard
02-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi: I am new here but i really like the interesting reading. I have a question and am not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. I just bought a used 2 cavity Lyman .490 RB mould and the balls are coming out of the mould easy but they have small wrinkles. I have tried high temp and low temperature lead and still the same. Any ideas or help. Thank You in advance for any help. Greybeard

singleshotbuff
02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
greybeard,

First off, welcome to the board.

Second, are you using pure lead? I too have had problems with wrinkles in the past when casting RBs out of pure lead. I think the solution wound up being a combination of adding some tin and casting with a REALLY hot mold.

Someone else will chime in soon with more answers for you.

Again, welcome aboard.

SSB

KCSO
02-11-2008, 05:30 PM
You need a HOT mould and it need to be well broken in. Usually 100-150 balls before it starts dropping perfect ones. The wrinkled balls will be good for hunting really old game animals though.

k8bor
02-11-2008, 05:36 PM
The title of the thread still has me in stitches. If it was an oversight, I thank you. If it was on purpose, I thank you.

jgh4445
02-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Wrinkled balls come from molds that are not hot enough.(and/or old age) Lay the mold on the pot til it comes up to temp. Usually less than a dozen balls will get it going right. If they get to looking frosted, the mold is too hot. Pure lead is best for round balls.

bobthewelder
02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
I second that, along with the one in the Casting Equipment forum titled Crabs.

The title of the thread still has me in stitches. If it was an oversight, I thank you. If it was on purpose, I thank you.

standles
02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I second that, along with the one in the Casting Equipment forum titled Crabs.

Especially when it was posted by "GreyBeard"

Sorry GreyBeard but childish/shoolyard humor occasionally erupts here.

Steven

garandsrus
02-11-2008, 06:10 PM
greybeard,

As others have said, increase the heat of the mold some... By the way, if you are using pure lead, you won't get frosty balls no matter how hot the mold gets. Pure lead doesn't frost.

John

Tom W.
02-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Ain't that a blessing.....!!!!

felix
02-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Don't forget ball seat, which is a freebore, which really is a groovefree apperatus for any kind of projectile. I can only guess this blessing is all related somehow in age. ... felix

KYCaster
02-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Greybeard: Make sure the mold is clean. Use something that disolves grease and oil. Most gun scrubber sprays leave some residue that leaves wrinkles till it burns off. Most brake cleaners or MEK (PVC pipe primer) work very well.

Clean the mold well then cast hot and fast.

Jerry

greybeard
02-12-2008, 03:56 AM
Thank You all for the replies. I know i am going to have fun and learn a lot on here especially about wrinkled balls and other such problems. Greybeard

Bad Water Bill
02-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Welcome You will find that many people come here to share information. Many times we come here for a chuckle to help forget the worries and giggle at the mistakes we have all made. BWB:castmine:

crowbeaner
02-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Wrinkled balls? HEHEHE. Make sure your mould is totally degreased and HOT! Use the ladle, and make sure you turn the mould/ladle over in a smooth single motion. I always hand dip mine to make the lead stream drive the air out. I prefer a single cavity mould also as I can get a better rythm while casting. Cut a slice in the rejects and use them for split shot.

Shotgun Luckey
06-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Wrinkles balls...he he

Onlymenotu
06-22-2008, 08:17 PM
some good info here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13115&highlight=balls) and
here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11081&highlight=balls) and
here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=10936&highlight=balls) and here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=15038&highlight=balls)

he he,,,,, good luck with your balls...:roll:[smilie=1::drinks:

EMC45
06-22-2008, 08:54 PM
The title got me. Thanks "Greybeard"!!

gon2shoot
06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Not that I know anything about wrinkled balls, but I agree with what you've been told.
Keep your balls plenty warm and be sure anything you put them in is really clean.
I've had some problems with shrinkage, but we wont go in to that.[smilie=1:

copdills
07-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Great Post good information but had to laugh when I first saw it

madcaster
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
wrinkled?Absolutely NO problem with that BUT MINE ARE GETTING WHITE AND FUZZY LOOKING!!!!:(:(:mrgreen:

Saint
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I have cast a lot of round balls and a few of the things I have noticed are pure lead needs to be kept at a lot higher temp than most casting alloys. Also, make sure that you have thoroughly degreased the mould. The mould will need to be pretty hot before it will start dropping smooth balls. Ignore the people who tell you that they should not be frosty looking. A little frosty will usually have perfect mould fill out. Also check the phase of the moon and the alignment of the planets and never cast on the 13th whether it is Friday or not. Keep in mind that what works for one person does not work for everyone. Aside from safety there are no rules for casting, only guidelines.

docone31
07-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Got wrinkled balls?
Wow, that is a tough one.
I donno about white frosty balls, I never got em that cold.
Get that mold good and hot! The wrinkles come from the metal freezing as it is poured.
I am not sure wrinkled balls are a bad thing, as long as it works. Once the balls are squeezed into the chamber, I bet most of the wrinkles are shaved down.
Of course, if you are wrapping them and then smaking them down, they might not have shaving.
I just had to laugh at this one. I haven't a clue.
I got one of the old Dixie look like scissors mold for my cap and ball. I tried to do just about everything. I got zero results. I mean zero.
I was in my 20's, got some wheel weights, a coffee can, made a fire, used a spoon ladle, and just made a mess. I had never made bullets before. I did not have a clue. The neighbors got a little mad at the smoke, the coffee can fell over, and the fire got a little out of control.
I did not cast untill I got my .303 British last year. With extensive reading of this forum, and just plain trying it with proper equipment, I got some really decent results.
Back in my 20's, I would have been happy with one wrinkled ball. What I got was a just plain mess.

Saint
07-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Got wrinkled balls?
Back in my 20's, I would have been happy with one wrinkled ball.
I gotta say I happen to be in my 20's and I just don't think I could do with anyting less than two. :)