PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Midsouth Shooters Supply REPRODUCTION Molds

leadman
11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
I ordered one of the 6.5 Swede (cruise missile) molds from Midsouth Shooters Supply about a month ago. I do know the reputation of this mold so was prepared to mill down the top of the blocks if needed.
When I cast with it the boolits dropped at .275" and 1.260" long. The data sheet says these should be .268" + .001" and 1.250" long.

I had not scrolled down the Midsouth page and did not see that they have changed the verbage and now call this, along with the 8mm molds, Reproduction molds. The 22 Bator and 7mm Soup Can remain as special order molds. There is also a statement there that they accept no responsibility for the accuracy or fit of these molds and will not accept returns.
So basically they have gotten out of spec molds from Lee and rather than sending them back are selling them to their customers who then find them unusable and bear the cost of them not having these cut correctly.

I did buy alot of goods from them over the years and they are going to send me a call tag to ship this back to them, which I appreciate. I do not like the fact they are sticking the customer with the cost of these defective molds.

So make up your own mind if you want to deal with a company that would do this to their customers or not. I have.

Forgot that it is also cut .020" off center so the boolits hang tight in the left side.

ukrifleman
11-17-2014, 01:10 PM
122065[
If that is what's happening it is a pity.

I ordered 2 CM moulds from Midsouth for my Carcano and they both cast at .2695

I have cut one down to produce 150gn bullets, which I find works better in my M91.

ukrifleman.

QUOTE=leadman;3010207]I ordered one of the 6.5 Swede (cruise missile) molds from Midsouth Shooters Supply about a month ago. I do know the reputation of this mold so was prepared to mill down the top of the blocks if needed.
When I cast with it the boolits dropped at .275" and 1.260" long. The data sheet says these should be .268" + .001" and 1.250" long.

I had not scrolled down the Midsouth page and did not see that they have changed the verbage and now call this, along with the 8mm molds, Reproduction molds. The 22 Bator and 7mm Soup Can remain as special order molds. There is also a statement there that they accept no responsibility for the accuracy or fit of these molds and will not accept returns.
So basically they have gotten out of spec molds from Lee and rather than sending them back are selling them to their customers who then find them unusable and bear the cost of them not having these cut correctly.

I did buy alot of goods from them over the years and they are going to send me a call tag to ship this back to them, which I appreciate. I do not like the fact they are sticking the customer with the cost of these defective molds.

So make up your own mind if you want to deal with a company that would do this to their customers or not. I have.[/QUOTE]

leadman
11-17-2014, 01:17 PM
I think it was your post that I saw and thought I would give this mold a try.

ukrifleman
11-17-2014, 01:37 PM

I hope they make it right with you.

ukrifleman.

WALLNUTT
11-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Why not send it back to LEE? That's who made it,not Midsouth.

leadman
11-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Midsouth commissioned these just like we used to do with our group buys from Lee. When we had problems with the molds the honcho had to contact Lee as they were purchased in his name.
I do have a call in to Andy Lee but so far no return from him.

bikerbeans
11-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Will a boolit even drop with a mold .02" off center?

BB

gwpercle
11-17-2014, 04:47 PM
The term " reproduction " must be marketing lingo for " Factory Second " or " Factory Reject ".
Thanks for the heads up. The small print will get you every time!

leadman
11-17-2014, 06:41 PM
bikerbeans, it take many good whacks of the hammer handle to get them out, along with a pick to sometimes encourage them.
I ordered a 4 cavity mold from NOE that I have every confidence that it will be right. Gonig to contact Buckshot for 2 sizer, a .269" and a .265" so I can use the boolits in my Arisaka and Carcano at .269" and the Contender and Mauser 6.5-06 at .265". I coat with Hi-Tek coating and the boolits grow longer when sized down while the lube grooves stay the same.

leadman
11-17-2014, 06:55 PM
excess650, yes indeed. I have been thinking about the Mauser 25-06 I built awhile back. Showed it to my nephew yesterday and he really liked it. He may get a surprise if I can figure out how to do it as he lives in another state. His girlfriend was not too keen on it though so this will take some thought.

mac60
11-17-2014, 10:06 PM

It may have been mine. I'm sorry you got a bad one. No excuse for the mould dropping that large - none at all. The one I have is dropping at about .268" if I remember correctly - it's a keeper.

leadman
11-21-2014, 01:59 AM
Spoke with Andy Lee today. He said he had a chat with the President of Midsouth Shooters Supply. He said the website would be changing to reflect a different return policy.
I told Andy the problems I had with the mold but he made no indication of anything to fix the molds so they are in spec. Also informed him that the Lee die sets for the 6.5 Jap and 6.5 Carcano both have the incorrect shell holders in them. He is going to look into this.

My NOE mold should be here tomorrow and I am anxious to try it out.

1johnlb
11-21-2014, 03:56 AM
You can't go wrong with a NOE. Al is a stand up guy that stands behind his products. And what a great product they are. You will like it.

truckjohn
11-26-2014, 05:10 PM
If it's casting extra-large....

Hurry up and SELL that sucker to a 6.5 Carcano owner! There are hoardes of those guys looking for 0.270"+ cast bullet molds and there are just not many available.

Honestly, you can probably easily get all your money back out of it....