PDA

View Full Version : Marlin deer story

Shuz
11-17-2014, 11:58 AM
This past week I missed 2 (that's two) whitetail does on different days that were munching in my back yard which is in the woods of north east Washington state. I tried for head shots with a super accurate .30-30 shooting a NOE 165g PB boolit and 7g of Unique. Both doe musta "moved" just as I squeezed the trigger, and they were clean misses as there was no blood or hair to be found on following up the shot. Since the old pharts season is closely waning, I decided to put the anemic .30-30 aside and go for a bigger gun. I picked my new to me 444Marlin XLR and loaded it with a 312g solid from an MP 433-300 mould and 45 g of Reloder 7. Velocity is only 2167fps!! The gun was sitting by the back sliding glass door in the basement. I was out in my shop helping my son skin his decent 2 point he had shot earlier in the afternoon, when my wife calls on the intercom and says, why not come and shoot the deer in the backyard? Off I go....I opened the slider, with nary a sound;but of course I had my earmuffs on. No more head shots, this time I aimed for the engine room, but alas, I hit both the engine room and the wheel house. The little buck ran about 75 yards and pilled up in a heap. Those little guys can even run on 3 legs! Well since the gambol was in use, with my son's bigger buck, I decided to hang mine up with dental floss and a saftey pin. We butcher this coming Saturday.

11-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Head shots are a last resort for me. Just a flicker of movement and the target isn't where the boolit lands. Your case in point. I suspect your .30-30 would have meat hangin' if it was pointed at the heart / lung. Enjoy the time with your son. What a blessing to share hunting.

newton
11-17-2014, 12:59 PM
I have often thought about trying the same thing. I have a tack driving load with a Lee 170-fn and low charge of Unique. It runs right at .22lr velocity. But I just have not got the confidence in them staying that still. If I was only 20 yards from them then maybe it would be a different story.

Deer meat is good. Got a few I am butchering this week myself.

crazy mark
11-18-2014, 12:49 AM
I like using my Glenfield 30 made in 1968 with either a 311291 or 311440 for neck shots out to 100 yds if the shot is a good one. It sports a 1.5 x 4.5 x 21 scope. Deadly accurate. My 336 SC in 35 Rem with the RCBS 35-200 is just as deadly. Younger deer are good eating and tender.

FergusonTO35
11-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Whew, for a second there I thought you kidnapped my 1967 Glenfield 30 with 1.5-4.5X21 scope that is deadly accurate! Mine will do under an inch at 100 yards with 31 grains Varget or IMR 4064 and 150 grain Sierra. Boolits look promising too, still developing the load. Love that Glenfield 30, best cheap .30-30 ever!!

TXGunNut
11-21-2014, 12:16 AM
Had rifle troubles last season, rifle and I just weren't getting along. I rushed the project, didn't thoroughly test the load, etc. Project rifle went into the case, Marlin Guide Gun went hunting. No muss, no fuss; bang-flop and I had meat headed for the freezer. Big bore Marlins get things done.

Cornbread
11-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Had rifle troubles last season, rifle and I just weren't getting along. I rushed the project, didn't thoroughly test the load, etc. Project rifle went into the case, Marlin Guide gun went hunting. No muss, no fuss; bang-flop and I had meat headed for the freezer. Big bore Marlins get things done.

That happened to me in 2011. Could not get bullets to work the way I wanted in my 30-30. I fiddled with up through like the first week of season and said forget it, I'll get it working after season. Took the 45-70 Guide Gun out and bang flopped a 5x6 whitetail at 50 yards. Really old buck, I forget what it aged at (I want to say just under 20 years but I can't remember for sure) but it was by far and away the oldest deer I have ever shot. I let grandpa hang for two weeks and he ate just fine :)

TXGunNut
11-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Really old buck, I forget what it aged at (I want to say just under 20 years but I can't remember for sure) but it was by far and away the oldest deer I have ever shot. I let grandpa hang for two weeks and he ate just fine :smile:-Cornbread

Wow, sounds like you shot an ancient one. Hear that TX Whitetails sometimes live to 7-8 and a limited few a few years longer. I hunt culls on my brother's lease so my freezer meat that time was a fat young doe.