PDA

View Full Version : wiping lead

bubba.50
11-16-2014, 04:16 PM
I know about any lead can be used for roundballs. I want to know what "wiping lead" is & if it's soft enough to use for maxi-balls & such.

RoyEllis
11-16-2014, 05:32 PM
If what you're asking about is telecom "wiping lead" bars, that is actually in most cases Alcatel-Lucent 38/62 wiping solder containing 38% tin. I haven't personally used it straight for mz boolits or roundballs but I'd guess it would be best cut with pure lead 1st to get it softer for expansion.
But that's JMHO without verifiable experience, I'd think alloy of approx. 2/1 would be much harder than say a traditional BPCR 20 or 30 to 1 alloy, giving you less than optimal results.

bubba.50
11-16-2014, 06:29 PM
not really sure. I was askin' for someone else. he was lookin' for lead for maxi-balls & when I asked if he found any he said he had some wipin' lead & it seemed pretty soft. just wonderin' what he might have. I know from experience if yer maxi's are too hard ya gotta drive'em down the barrel & hopin to help him dodge this experience. anyone else have anything to add feel free to let'er rip.

bangerjim
11-16-2014, 10:10 PM
You are totally wasting Sn by using wiping solder for casting straight!!!!!!

And your projectiles will be way light.

use the solder to sweeten you mix for no more than 2% Sn. For roundball, you probably want soft lead anyway. No need for Sn to fill a round cavity! I don't use any.....save it for boolits.

banger

dagger dog
11-17-2014, 05:52 PM
The only wiping lead that I know about is the very soft lead bars that were used for auto body repairs, that has been replaced by "bondo" or the 2 stage plastic used today. I remember the bars had the alloy ratio lead and tin cast into them. But I have seen plumbers wipe the excess solder off copper fitting also.

A pump style blow torch ( like a Coleman gas lantern) was used to heat the body and the lead was melted and wiped onto the repair area with a cotton rag to fill small voids and seams if a panel was replaced.

dikman
11-18-2014, 01:12 AM
I've got some solder bars that my brother gave me years ago when he was a linesman. They are stamped 70/30, so are nothing special, just bar solder.

bubba.50
11-18-2014, 01:19 AM
yeh, i'm just gonna tell the guy his maxi's will likely be as hard as Chinese arithmetic & maybe he should join-up here & find him a box of soft lead in the classifieds. thanks all for the input.

bangerjim
11-18-2014, 03:09 PM
I've got some solder bars that my brother gave me years ago when he was a linesman. They are stamped 70/30, so are nothing special, just bar solder.

And..........................70% TIN! Definitely something special to us casters.

If you ever wanted to know all the types of "solders" there out there check out the chart on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

OMG!

banger

banger