PDA

View Full Version : Powder coated, any reason not to?

Comrade Mike
11-16-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm looking into transitioning most of my hand gun shooting to CB's because who doesn't love shooting even more!?

Anyway, I'm not at the point that I'm ready to cast my own yet so I've decided to go with Missouri Bullet Company as a vendor based on their stellar reputation and wide range of products. The only caliber I was considering staying with plated bullets was 9mm in my BHP due to leading/ feeding concerns.

Then I saw Missouri bullet offered a 9mm design I liked in a powder coat which I may try. Is there any reason to go with a tradition bare lead and lube ring over a powder coat?

Also if the hi power shooters out there could share their experiences with cast bullets I would be very appreciative! I'm an accuracy fiend so right now I'm shooting the 115gn Rainier plated hollow point to great effect, but they're obviously more expensive than CB's.

bangerjim
11-16-2014, 02:50 PM
If you are an "accuracy feind", you may want to stick with those very expensive FMJ's you use when shooting for competition accuracy. Good stuff.

CB's will give you VERY good performance, but I always have a tad bit better luck and repeatability with those very costly FMJ's. But I really do not care. Casting my own lets me shoot hundres of rounds more and not worry about the cost of those slugs! And the accuracy is pretty good. Good 'nuff for what I do! With the cost of Pb alloys I have, I can cast & shoot anywhere from 5-8 cast for the price (depending on cal) of one premium commercial FMJ projectile. Your mileage may/will vary. And you can recover you PC'd cast if you have such a range and remelt!

I have a couple NLG molds and really see no significient difference PC'ing those over standard grease groove or micro-groove cast. They all coat and shoot well. And are cheeeeeeep!

I have several thou MO Bullets and have stripped the grease off and PC's them. Still casting your own is still cheaper and more fun! A pot (Lee 4-20) and a couple molds and you are good to go! Not that much of an investment to become "boolit independent". And use your expensive FMJ's for when you feel the need.

I do not shoot PC at super-dooper-looper velocities. All are subsonic.

bangerjim

ipijohn
11-16-2014, 03:24 PM
banger summed up my thoughts exactly.

goblism
11-16-2014, 06:23 PM
My experience has been that the regular lube have been more accurate, use both styles as I like how clean powder coating shoots

popper
11-17-2014, 11:17 AM
MBC boolits are HiTek coated, not PC. I have not had bad accuracy/leading with the HiTek on my cast boolits. I do think they come pre-sized, may not be right for your 9.

Jupiter7
11-17-2014, 11:42 AM
I haven't fully explored the rifle realm of PC. But I have shot thousands at this point in pistols. My main match gun still printed 1" at 25yds with same load I used with lead. Just my experience....

bbqncigars
11-17-2014, 09:09 PM
My rifles shoot a wee bit better with lubed boolits, especially the 535gr Postell in the Sharps. The Marlins almost shoot as well with the coated pills, but I can process boolits through the Star faster than the toaster oven. It's a shame, 'cause the powder coated ones are so purty.

goblism
11-17-2014, 09:56 PM
If I am going to an indoor range I will grab powder costed bullets, if outdoor I go with the traditional lube. I have had decent luck with hotel as well.