PDA

View Full Version : Off topic CB :Difference in jacketed bullet?

DeadWoodDan
11-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Sorry for not keeping with CB's, but was curios as the whitetail firearm opens next weekend. Doing some last minute practice with my Omega using .458" Barnes 300gr. SP and was getting down to the last of them. Didn't want to purchase another box until after comparing the difference from the SST I've been using with the inline. I had purchased a box of:

Hor. 45 Cal .458 300 gr HP
http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.458-300-gr-HP/

and

Hor. 45 Cal .452 300 gr XTP® Mag
http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-300-gr-XTP-Mag

I know this last one is designed for handgun velocities but was curious if others had any experience or thoughts on using in my application?

I shot both of these today and was amazed that they are within minute of deer out too 200yds and my POI with the Barnes. I saved six Barnes to hunt with, hope to only use 2 for the two tags I have. But would really like to know if either will do the job at that distance?

Last yr I took a Doe at 40yds with the SST, she dropped in her tracks and was spinning on the ground then as I was reloading for a second shot on another Doe she got up went another 40yds into timber and expired. This same scenario happened to my brother. I think the bullet is doing its job, i think the deer are aware of there voulnrabilty in the open and take the last breath getting too woods? I am o.k. with that but our property is very narrow and neighbor is anti hunting, am dreading the day I have to retrieve a deer off that property.

Thanks
DWD

glockky
11-16-2014, 01:48 PM
I have had the same experience with muzzleloaders and the $1 a piece SST's that leave a tiny hole going in and out. And unlike a cast bullet with a wide metplat they dont do much internal damage. I seen a huge difference in my MZ kills when I started shooting 44cal cast bullets in a sabot.

I ended up going with a gas checked bullet with no gas check put on the bullet. This allowed the bullet to set completely flat in the sabot which I couldnt get the flat base boolits to do because of the bottom of sabots being beveled.

white eagle
11-16-2014, 01:52 PM
the 458 may be indeed meant for a rifle note the size difference between the two 458-452
I would not hesitate using the Barnes bullet
your neighbor better not try to stop you from retrieving a wounded animal they may very well be held accountable to the law for such actions

runfiverun
11-16-2014, 02:18 PM
jacketed bullet performance boils down to construction and impact velocity.
the jackets construction, and the core strength will dictate how fast it opens.
hornady makes two xtp type bullets one the MAG [which you have] and one the regular which is made of a thinner jacket and softer core which is designed to work at a lower impact velocity.
bonding of the core has no affect on how the bullet works it only bonds the core to the jacket.
you can negatively affect how the bullet performs by pushing it too slow or too fast.
when you use a cast boolit you just remove the copper wrap from the equasion but can still have the same performance pit-falls.
one other thing you have to take into account is the meplat size when considering performance, jacketed bullets can get around this by exposing lead at the tip of the bullet [comes back to core composition] as that helps initiate expansion, or by adding a plastic tip to the point [quite often hollow] which will initiate expansion even quicker.
some other ways the bullets construction will influence it's performance is by separating the front and back parts of the bullet, tapering the jacket, annealing the jacket [like a case] or by pre-opening the bullet then re-forming it back into shape, or skiving the jacket to allow the opening of the nose an easier path to follow.

I hope this helps a bit.

DeadWoodDan
11-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Glockky now I have to ask what mold are you using? And is the 44cal for a 50Cal ML? No reason I can't start casting for either of my inlines, I have for both of my Hawkins. I have been getting great accuracy practicing off the bench up to 200yds. I haven't had to take a shot further than 100yds, but hunt open fields and like knowing I could take a shot IF needed.

I have two stands that look into an open field and have passed many deer b.c. couldn't get them in close enough.

Blammer
11-16-2014, 03:53 PM
aim for bone, a high shoulder shot will put them down NOW.

Bullets should perform easily under such conditions.

DeadWoodDan
11-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Glockky now I have to ask what mold are you using? And is the 44cal for a 50Cal ML? No reason I can't start casting for either of my inlines, I have for both of my Hawkins. I have been getting great accuracy practicing off the bench up to 200yds. I haven't had to take a shot further than 100yds, but hunt open fields and like knowing I could take a shot IF needed.

I have two stands that look into an open field and have passed many deer b.c. couldn't get them in close enough.