PDA

View Full Version : PC at this year's deer hunt

Wardo1974
11-16-2014, 10:21 AM
I take my trusty 1894 in .38-55 every year for deer hunting.

This year was the first time ever for me to bring it up with PC boolits.

I took great pleasure in cracking open the box to show off the gleaming black missiles I'd carefully loaded the month before - 255 grains of pure lead encased in a mirror finish of PC, all atop a stiff charge of 3031.

These guys had never heard of PC (obviously) and didn't know why I wanted to "paint" my boolits.

Outside beside the woodshed, I demonstrated. I fired a target load (255 grains of very hard lead alloy, linotype lead, with 9.5 grains of Unique - about 1300 fps) into a large oak block.

The recovered boolit penetrated about 14 inches into the block, and looked like it could be reused again!

Next up was my PC load. 1700 fps, and the recovered boolit made it 6 inches into the oak. It had mushroomed so dramatically that the boolit had folded over itself from the nose back, encasing all the PC inside the folds of the deformed slug.

The demonstration had the desired effect. Nobody wants a tiny hole drilled through the target. The rapid expansion of the boolit was excellent, and best of all - NO leading at all. I immediately started getting questions about the suitability of the boolits in other popular camp calibers - .45-70, .44 magnum, etc.

My pal there also uses an antique .38-55 and desired to try them out in his rifle. I obliged him, with positive results, and upon looking down the bore, he shouted in amazement - it was pristinely shiny. The PC loads had actually scrubbed the bore free of fouling! On the spot, he asked me to help him set up PC loads of his own.

Sadly, none of these warheads were employed on deer this year, but I'll get 'em next year. I have great faith in these babies.

LAGS
11-16-2014, 10:41 AM
I too noticed how clean the bore comes out after firing PC boolits.
I had fired 80 rounds in my Mosin Nagant in two hours, Thus, at times the barrel was pretty hot.
When I looked thru the bore with a flashlight before cleaning the rifle, the bore looked clean but looked like it had a thin coat of varnish, Clean but not shiny.
I ran a bore brush thru Once, then one patch with Hoppe's #9 followed by three clean dry patches.
When I looked thru the bore again with the same flashlight, the light almost blinded me.
The Bore looked like a Mirror inside.

mdi
11-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Sorta relates to topic; last week I shot about 100 PCed bullets through my .357 Mag. When I got home and started cleaning, I looked down the bore and thought my eyes had gone bad. No leading. I ran a dry patch through the barrel, got out my bore light and looked again. No lead, no fouling, just a clean bore!

Huvius
11-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Making the gears turn here... Gotta start another thread.

RP
11-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Well we all know lead is not good to eat I wonder how PC is going to rank we may be doubling down. Could someone step up to the plate and eat some PC and ask the next of kin to post results if needed. :veryconfu