PDA

View Full Version : primers

hiram1
11-15-2014, 11:10 PM
to use mag primers or not use mag primers or just use standard primers i can get a but load of mag primers but if there to hot i guess i don't need them i had to ask guys

454PB
11-15-2014, 11:18 PM
It depends on the application. If I had a chance to get a bunch for cheap, I could figure out a use for them. Loads would have to be adjusted accordingly.

hiram1
11-15-2014, 11:35 PM
so i can use them but work it up a little.like go down a little and start over with less powder

wrench man
11-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Depends on what powder you want to burn?

hiram1
11-15-2014, 11:42 PM
red dot and bullseye in 45 acp

Jackpine
11-16-2014, 01:14 AM
If you are at least 10% below a max loading, I cannot see why you would have any issues. If you are close to max, I would back off and work up.

jsizemore
11-16-2014, 01:15 AM
Start low and work up.

Winchester's large pistol primer is for standard and magnum loads.

Bayou52
11-16-2014, 10:56 AM
If you are at least 10% below a max loading, I cannot see why you would have any issues. If you are close to max, I would back off and work up.

I concur - my comment as well.....

Bayou52

Ed_Shot
11-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Back not long ago when primers were hard to find I got a brick of CCI 550 SP Mag. Using Lyman 452374 over Promo 4.5 gr in my Glock 30 (w/LW barrel) I chrono'd rounds with both the CCI SP Mag primers and standard Fed LP primers. The difference in the average velocity for the two 10 shot strings was 2 FPS.

Motor
11-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Don't know how you started 2 threads but:

It's always been "rule of thumb" that a mag vs standard primer is equal to 1gr powder charge. Like I said "rule of thumb". As far as using them instead of standard primers go I have never seen any warning or even suggestion not to in any reloading publication.

I'm pretty sure there are pressure charts out there that show how much pressure each type produces but how minor difference in primer pressure can effect the main charge pressure is just beyong me.

Then you have to concider that a magnum primer may not even produce more pressure. It may just burn hotter.

I read the reply from the fellow on the other thread who said he has used standard primers all his reloading life without any problems. That is not hard to believe. But for my money, when I'm lighting 100gr of ball powder at 10 degrees to take a trophy bull, I'll use the magnum primer every time.

The Speer reloading manual denotes magnum primers with nearly all of their load data that uses ball type powder.

I my own personal experience I had one load that would hang fire with standard primers and work just fine with magnums and that was with H-414 in a .280 Remington But as stated before I always use magnum primers in large capicity magnum cases or where published data denotes.

Motor

mdi
11-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Been there done that. Begin your loads with starting load data and you'll be fine. Way back when, pre-web, I even used small rifle primers in my .38s, with low level loads. All went bang, no difficult extraction, no flattened primers, etc. Since that "money induced" shortage (I didn't have much money at that time), I got into the habit of picking up a brick of primers each time I visited a store that sold them so now I have upwards of 15K in my reloading den (shed out back).

Magnum primers are usually only needed with slow burning powders, those that may be a bit more difficult to ignite (W296/H1110 comes to mind). As mentioned in the previous posts, start low with magnum primers and you'll be OK..

Garyshome
11-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Mag primers with a little less powder.....Good

too many things
11-16-2014, 01:07 PM
I drop 1 gr of powder and never had a problem. in 45 acp you will get a better powder burn with RD