11-15-2014, 10:01 PM
After 100 of 223 with 22 LR sage brass,Im having a brass fooled barrel
Is it normal

runfiverun
11-15-2014, 10:19 PM
it happens with copper coated lead too.

MT Chambers
11-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Wasn't there talk of brass bullets wearing barrels out?

BT Sniper
11-16-2014, 01:32 AM
Wasn't there talk of brass bullets wearing barrels out?

Only misinformation!

Brass = 70% copper 30% zinc
Gilding metal (traditional copper jackets) = 95% copper 5% zinc

Same stuff just different percentages. It has been said that the Zinc actually helps to reduce friction.

BT

BT Sniper
11-16-2014, 02:10 AM
One note for removing copper/brass fouling in your barrel..... the foam cleaner "Wipe-Out" I have found to work very well for my cleaning needs. Foam the barrel, let it sit about 30 minutes to an hour or more, rotate the barrel upside down for another 30 minutes to an hour or more, run a few patches down the barrel, done! Works great. I use the accelerator too.

You can scrub all day with a bore brush and solvents and still see the fouling yet this wipe out is what I hav efound to remove the copper or brass the best.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784639/sharp-shoot-r-wipe-out-brushless-foaming-bore-cleaning-solvent-5-oz-aerosol

BT

Sasquatch-1
11-16-2014, 08:42 AM
I went to visit a member of this forum once and took my SBH with me. He ran some Sweets brass removing solution down the barrel and let the gun set for about 10 minutes. Ran a patch through the barrel and it came out completely blue. I had cleaned that barrel meticulously that week to get leading out. I was really amazed how much fouling was in the barrel.

clodhopper
11-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Sweets is strong stuff, be sure to read the instructions.
The foam bore cleaners are really a great change in barrel cleaning, a heavily fouled bore can wetted, and left over night before wiping out soft, blue colored copper compounds.

If cleaning a gas operated gun with foaming bore cleaner, be careful how you lean the rifle up to soak. It's a good idea to prevent goop from flowing into the gas system.

onomrbil
11-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Have any of you tried coating brass-jacket bullets with moly or HBN? I have heard all the gripes about moly, but it does help with barrel cleaning, even with crappy, rough barrels. Moly combined with a slightly harder core will let you push brass jackets faster without disintegrating. HBN is a lot less messy and works the same way as the above-described moly plated bullets. I have always plated my brass jackets with either moly or HBN and have never had a fouling problem, and cleaning has been easier after shooting sessions.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-16-2014, 11:36 AM
After 100 of 223 with 22 LR sage brass,Im having a brass fooled barrel
Is it normal
I don't know if it's normal ?
But if you push them too fast, I found out that it's highly likely
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?246915-Brass-fouled-bore-now-what
I used Hoppes brand copper remover solution and lots of elbow grease and time. I did a few cleaning sessions over the course of 3 days. The third day the Brass finally let loose...the barrel was coated with brass much like Lead fouling.

Motor
11-16-2014, 11:49 AM
I use the Wipe Out / Patch Out liquid and I also have Sweets. I've used the Sweets for years. Both work good. The Sweets really needs to be used in a well ventelated area.

One more thing. When using a copper solvent DO NOT USE a brass jag or brass/bronze bore brush. It will eat either one of them and the jag will cause you to have false results. You typically use the solvent until you no longer get blue patches. If you use a brass jag you will always get blue patches. Don't ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

Motor

Prospector Howard
11-17-2014, 09:58 AM
I don't get any more fouling with "brass" jackets than I do with "copper" jackets. If you're getting alot of fouling, it probably has to do with the roughness of your bore. If it's real bad, you may want to look into smoothing the bore with a bore lapping kit or something. I've never had to do it myself, so I can't say what kit would work good. Cast boolits are way more prone to bore fouling, and that's one of the main reasons I swage with brass jackets. I just went shooting on Saturday, and shot over 500 rounds of brass jacketed bullets in 3 rifles, and cleaned them like normal yesterday using Hoppes and bronze brushes. Nothing abnormal. I like to leave the barrel "wet" and in a few days I'll run a brush through them and another wet patch to get most of the rest of the fouling out, just like I'd do with copper jacketed bullets. As far as brass jacketed bullets wearing the barrel faster; I've shot literally tens of thousands of them and I've never seen any indication that they wear on the barrel any more than copper. In fact, I think my barrels are doing better with brass than if I was shooting nothing but copper jackets, total BS.

Bert2368
11-23-2014, 06:18 PM
I bought a used rifle once that was so bad... All the Copper solvent type cleaners I had on hand failed. After 3 day of repeated cleanings, with no end to the blue patches in sight, I plugged the muzzle and FILLED THE BARREL WITH KROIL.

A day later, ran a new, tight fitting bronze brush through the barrel... And long, skinny slivers of bullet metal peeled right out of the corners of the rifling. Amazed at what some people do to their rifles, like NEVER properly cleaning them for 1,000's of rounds

I have been shooting that "shot out barrel" for 6 years now. Still going strong...