PDA

View Full Version : Any Marlin 1894 .44 Mag Owners here on the Forum?

Duster340
11-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Hey Folks,

My wife and I purchased a small parcel of land in Northern Wisconsin last year, and will be doing some deer hunting up there. Heavy hardwoods and dense cedar wetlands make up the landscape. I had planned on using a little .303 Brit (Self Bubba-ized) carbine that has dropped a few deer in the past, but after spending time on this property I realized that shots will be less than 50 yards. Got to thinking that a little Marlin 1894 .44 mag might be just the ticket, and a nice companion to my SBH. The fact that I already reload .44 mag adds to the attraction. (As I type this, it is as if I am coming up with a good excuse to explain to "the Boss" why I need to buy another toy http://smith-wessonforum.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif ) .

Anyway, I was hoping to hear from some members that own/shoot/hunt with a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. Maybe share pros/cons? Alternative options in .44 mag (I'd love to find a old Ruger Semiauto .44 carbine!)?, pet/proven deer loads, and any other helpful tidbits?

As always, thanks in advance for the input, and be well all.

lbaize3
11-15-2014, 05:58 PM
I have both the old Ruger semiauto (Deer slayer) and the 1894 in 44 mag. I very much enjoy the older semi with 240 grain factory type loads. Accuracy is outstanding and it brings back memories of my Dad when he used to hunt the Southeast Texas thickets with one so very many years ago. But I also have a Marlin 1894 that shoots cast booklets with surprising accuracy, especially that Lee 300 grain boolit. You do have to somewhat straighten the spring attached to the ejector to get the rifle to feed those boolit reliably. At the distances you will be shooting I suspect that a 240 grain lead boolit at about 1000fps would be all you would need. That would be easier on your shoulder and would destroy very little meat. Good luck to you, whichever way you jump!

Salmoneye
11-15-2014, 06:08 PM
I love my 1894S in .44 Mag...

Yotes, to deer and bear have fallen to it...

Mild to wild if you load your own...

LUCKYDAWG13
11-15-2014, 06:56 PM
i have in older 1894 mine was made in 1973 shoots good. look for in older one with the JM stamp on it if you can
i looked for mine for about a year befor i found one in good shape most of the ones that i looked at looked like they
spent more time in the bed of a pickup getting bounced around

starmac
11-15-2014, 07:05 PM
I had the deer slayer, I think I bought it in 78 for the tidy sum of 135 bucks. I played in East Texas in those days and figured it would be a good thicket hog gun, but never used it and sure hadn't ever been introduced to cast then.
I personally thought of it as an 80 yard gun, better sites might have changed it. I have traded off very few guns in my life, and regrettfully it was one of them. I mainly bought it, because I had just bought my first 44 revolver though.
I did pick up a win 44 at the llast gunshow, but haven't had it out to see what it will do.

williamwaco
11-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Go for it.

If you are not recoil sensitive you will love it. It is a great short range cartridge.

I would prefer the Marlin .30-30 but that negates the AMMO advantage and in this day and time that is an important consideration.

gew98
11-15-2014, 07:19 PM
I've got a near new andle eject Winchester ( had it for about 15-16 years ). I like it and the caliber but much prefer a marlin in same caliber. Now my 357 marlin 94 is one great shooter !.

Jack Stanley
11-15-2014, 09:12 PM
My forty-four isn't the 1894 model but rather the older 336 model chambered for the big Remington revolver load . I get good results with a two hundred fifty grain LBT bullet with fourteen and a half grains Blue Dot powder to push it . Currently it's on load to a girl for her first year in the deer woods . In practice she shot it to good effect so if the deer come in sight ...........

For the distance you would be using it the forty-four magnum shines real good .

Jack

schutzen
11-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Great deer rifle/handgun combo for here in Kentucky. You will have to work up a load that works well in both the revolver and the rifle. Make sure you get a pre-safety rifle.

Outpost75
11-15-2014, 09:50 PM
I have an 1894S in .44-40 and also another 1894S in .44 Magnum. I don't load either full-throttle because I don't enjoy heavy recoil and have found that Eastern whitetails don't require a howitzer. In both my Marlins I load the Hornady .430" diameter 200-grain XTP hollowpoint bullet with 8.4 grains of Bullseye for 1300 fps from the 20" barrel, and the same load does 1050 fps from my 5-1/2" Ruger revolver. The deer fall down dead and I don't need a heavier load.

My plinking loads use the Accurate 43-200Q .44-40 bullet sized .430 with 7.2 grains of Bullseye powder for 1280 fps from the 20" carbine and 920 fps from my 5-1/2" Ruger, closely approximating the ballistics of original blackpowder ammunition in a clean-shooting smokeless load. Pleasant to shoot, economical and effective. Accurate too!

Don't overlook "medium velocity" loads in the .44 Magnum.

Duster340
11-15-2014, 11:56 PM
A big Thank You for all the great responses!!! Lots of good info. It seem that most folks suggested finding an older model "JM"? While I tend to seek out used rifles, and have yet to buy a "new" rifle, I am curious. Are the new versions junk? Also, folks mention a preference for the models w/o safeties. Is that due to a bad designed safety?

Again, thanks for all the good first hand experience!

Outpost75
11-16-2014, 12:07 AM
I prefer the cross-bolt safety design. It IS safer.

I have seen many NDs with half-cock safeties over the years and DO NOT trust them!

The cross-bolt safety is a worthwhile improvement and I recommend it for field use.

shoot-n-lead
11-16-2014, 12:15 AM
I prefer the cross-bolt safety design. It IS safer.

I have seen many NDs with half-cock safeties over the years and DO NOT trust them!

The cross-bolt safety is a worthwhile improvement and I recommend it for field use.

I have an 1894 44mag and it should work great for your use...it is a fine, handy and very effective carbine.

And, I prefer the cross bolt safety as well.

Jackpine
11-16-2014, 01:32 AM
The Marlin is a great choice. I also own a Ruger carbine, but have shot the Marlin a lot more. You can feed any kind of ammo thru the Marlin, from REALLY light cast bullet loads, up thru real bear busters. If you want smoother operation, go to Marauders Old Iron Page http://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html You will find full and easy to follow instruction on making it hum.

One thing to be careful of are rifles made in past few years, while the transition from Marlin to Remington. There were some real quality control problems going on. I slicked up one for a friend of my sons and the front sight literally fell off of it while I was working on it. An easy fix, but I know people who have bought them and had much bigger issues. If you can find one with the old JM proof marks, you will probably have a better rifle.

Jackpine

Slow Elk 45/70
11-16-2014, 02:22 AM
YUP, great little woods rifle IMHO...I have 2 and I would not pass up a good one, mine are early models I size my boolits to .434 , no leading, the older I get the more I like them I use the 425215, the 429250 and Ranch Dogs 265 If you need a J word the Speer 200 is very lethal ....as has been said mice to deer/black bear have gone down DRT for me...LUV them [smilie=s:

longbow
11-16-2014, 04:00 AM
Okay, I don't see much on bore dimensions and slugging so I'll add my $0.02.

I have an 1894 Marlin in .44 mag. so bought the "best" .44 mag. boolit mould ~ Lyman 429421. Well, never got decent accuracy and had constant feeding problems. "J" bullets shot not bad but cast were mediocre to say the least. Then I got some education and slugged my bore. Well, it turns out my Lyman mould cast to 0.429" and my Marlin groove diameter was 0.432"+. That Explained a few things!

Feeding was also an issue and it turns out that the 429421 is too long for most Marlins to feed properly. So, it took a fatter boolit of 0.432"+ to get accuracy and a different nose shape to feed.

I find my Mihec 434640 feeds very well and is quite accurate. I also worked on the carrier and got H&G #503's (SWC'S) to feed well so now have some choices.

Short story, if you get a Marlin 1894, slug the bore and get a mould to suit. Chances are it will be "fat" and require a "fat" boolit. Also, many Marlins apparently do not like SWC's and will not feed them reliably without modification. RNFP's are probably a better choice.

Also, depending on age an 1894 may have microgroove rifling or Ballard rifling and different twist rates. Mine is an older version with microgroove rifling and 1:38" twist. It will shoot cast fine if they are "fat" and no heavier (longer) than about 270 grs.

Great gun but has some quirks. Deal with the quirks and you will be a happy camper.

Longbow

Outpost75
11-16-2014, 07:35 AM
My 1894S in .44-40 will flawlessly feed rounds up to 1.70" OAL, the length of the cylinder in my Ruger Super Blackhawk revolver, which has a Hamilton Bowen cylinder custom chambered and fitted by John Taylor to natch the chamber dimensions of my Marlin rifle so that the two guns will in fact interchange brass.

My 1894S in .44 Magnum requires that rounds not exceed 1.60" overall length, otherwise they jam exiting the magazine tube onto the lifter.

Both guns slug .430 in the groove, and .425 in the bore, and have 12-groove Microgroove rifling with 38" twist.

Cylinder throats in the .44-40 cylinder chambered by John Taylor are .4305. The original Ruger .44 Magnum cylinder has throats which are .432 and the Ruger barrel slugs .429 groove and .420 bore with six grooves, one turn in 16".

Jack Stanley
11-16-2014, 10:01 AM
I much prefer the rifles that pre-date the "safety" believing them to be of a higher quality than those with a switch that helps negligent users continue to use firearms ,or makes the lawyers feel better which ever you prefer . My experience with the 1894cs was a problem from the start that Marlin would not even consider fixing . With hands on usage of that rifle , the safety looked like an answer to a non existent problem to me , but then I've used half-cock rifles for a very long time . The idea made the company , lawyers and new buyers feel much better and that is what seemed to matter to the company . This forum has a world of wisdom of how to fix rifles that companies let out the door so you should be alright whatever one you choose .

Jack

izzyjoe
11-16-2014, 10:18 AM
I haven't been around in awhile, so I've got some catching up to do. I have an older 94 marlin in 44 mag that shoots great with the Lee 310gr. boolit, from mild to wild it's pretty accurate. You won't go wrong in choosing one for deer at short range.

Petrol & Powder
11-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Sounds like an excellent plan to obtain a rifle that will chamber the same cartridge you currently load & shoot in your revolver. I'll second the opinion that a 240-250ish grain bullet travelling around 1000 fps would be an outstanding load for the task at hand.
The groove diameter could prove to be an issue for total interchangeability between the revolver and the rifle but there's little that can be done about that until you have both guns in hand. You might get lucky and find they both shoot the same bullet just fine.
Worst case scenario is that you have to open up a mold to cast a large bullet and then size them appropriately for each gun. You'd still be using the same casings, powder and pre-sized bullet, so in term of logistics - it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Duster340
11-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Wow! I wake up this morning, grab a cup of Joe and decide to pop into the forum for a few minutes. Never expected the number of great/helpful replies! You guys/gals rock! :mrgreen:

This is my first foray into the world of lever actions (been all bolt and semi-auto rifles to date) and based on the feedback here, I feel confident that if I can find the right 94, it will serve my needs quite nicely.

Thanks again and please keep the first hand experience tips/suggestions/stories coming. I haven't visited the levergun forum here, but must say, the warm reception is much appreciated.

Thank all and enjoy what's left of the weekend.

seaboltm
11-16-2014, 12:38 PM
I have had many Marlin 44 lever actions. Nothing wrong with them at all. The only con I can think of is that with some super heavy super long cast boolits the cartridges may not cycle through the action. There are some easy modifications for that problem. Still, if I were to buy another 44 magnum rifle for hunting purposes, I don't know that I wouldn't look hard a the Ruger 77/44

Rick R
11-16-2014, 02:07 PM
I found a JM marked 1894 in .44 that was looking for a home at a gunshow this summer. It will feed the 429421 and shoot them accurately enough kill soda cans at 50 yards. I purchased a mold that drops the NOE copy of Ranch Dog's 265gr boolit and they're just slightly less accurate than the 240gr XTP from the little rifle sized to .431" and over RD's listed max load of 2400. The norm is 50 yard groups where three of five shots with peep sights are touching and the other two are 3/4" out of the group. As a plus the same load is very accurate from my 4 5/8" SBH.

Recoil is light, muzzle blast is minimal. It's eye opening to shoot the gentle loads from the rifle and then change to the revolver with the same load. :shock: If you don't like the cross bolt safety there are kits to replace it with a false bolt. I just put a small O ring over the red end of the safety effectively locking it in the off position without modifying the gun.

I really like my 1895 Guide Gun, but the 1894 is a great little rifle too.

John Allen
11-16-2014, 02:17 PM
I really like mine alot. I prefer my 30-30 but for having a handy cartridge that does both you really can not beat a 1894 in 44mag.

W.R.Buchanan
11-16-2014, 05:08 PM
I might add that those guns will feed and fire .44 Specials as well. With a small amount of work they become truly amazing as far as function and feeding is concerned.

My 1894 CB with a 24" barrel feeds 429244's just fine and they are 1.665 long. Chamfering the mouth of the chamber is all that it takes to make the SWC's feed right. Moving the step on the lifter back .060-.125 also helps and opens the gun up to even longer boolits. I have seen several that would feed rounds as long as 1.750. And as I said earlier Specials loaded hot can have SWC's too and not have the length problem.

A load if 22 gr of H110 in the Magnum cases with any of the 240-280 gr boolits will yield 1600 ish fps. and much softer loads will do anything you need to do with that gun. and probably work in your pistols too.

Marlins nominal Bore dimensions are .431 +/- .002. most are on the money at .431. This is SAAMI Standard for .44 Mag Rifle. Revolvers are typically .429 +/- .002.

One other gun you might look at is the Ruger 77/44 bolt action rifle. These would be my first choice if hunting or shooting in inclement weather. Plastic and SS are a good combination. This gun needs to have rounds loaded to not more than 1.610 as they won't fit into the Rotary Magazine if longer.

I have been oogling one for a while now and definitely want one. Something for you to look into if you need the All Weather Capability or want a truck gun in that caliber.

Randy

lovedogs
11-16-2014, 09:09 PM
My wife and one of my sons made me a gift of an 1894 Cowboy Limited in .44 mag several years ago. After a trip back to Marlin to replace it's barrel that had a rusty bore right off the shelf and a cracked butt stock it's become my favorite rifle. The bore isn't real smooth, but then none of the lever guns are if you look at them with a Hawkeye bore scope. It's also quite a bit over-sized at .432. It shoots jacketed real well. Looking for a cast load I settled on a 250 gr. RNFP from Saeco. It isn't "fat" enough and the rifle doesn't shoot all that well with 2400 but with 23 gr. of H110 it shoots under an inch (when wearing a scope) at 100 yds. with no leading. It appears to "slug up" when fired. With no leading and such accuracy I can't think that it isn't bumping up. Velocity runs just over 1800 FPS from that long Cowboy barrel. Like someone here said, once you get them figured out they'll shoot well. I love mine.

dragon813gt
11-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Since it's come up a few times in this thread and comes up all the time when talking about 44 magnum in rifles. SAAMI has different specs for rifles. They have larger bores.

Rifle: http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Rifle/44%20Remington%20Magnum.pdf

Revolver: http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Pistol/44%20Remington%20Magnum.pdf

My 1894 has a C on it so I can't comment on the 44 mag version. But I do prefer the crossbolt for field use. It's an extra ounce of precaution. I've been there during a slip and fall and next thing you know the rifle is firing. Luckily no one was hurt. But I understand why some don't like them.

If you want to long history of Remilns head on over to the Marlin Owners forum and read all the details. A lot of old New Haven employees over there. To cut the story short quality has gotten a lot better. I have a perfect 1894C that was made during the "bad quality" period. I'd still be hesitant to buy a REP stamped Marlin sight unseen. But the price for JM marked ones is artificially high in my mind. They've always been a utility rifle and even New Haven put out some turds.

44 flattop
11-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Oh man, where do I start without writing a book?

I have a half dozen Marlin Cowboys, three 24" and three 20". I'll say up front, three of them are put away for grandkids... ;)

I cannot say enough good about the .44 from a rifle, I've been killing both deer, bear AND elk for the past 30 years or so with them. About 95% of them with cast boolits. I have about 25 different .44 cal molds, having experimented for so many years.

My most shot load is a RCBS44-245 which weighs 258grs with my lead. 9 grains of Unique gives me about 1000fps out of most pistols, 1325 out of most rifles. Does a good job on deer sized game out to as far as I've used it, about 110 yards as far as I can remember.

For longer shots, I like an RCBS44-245SIL, 260grs over 23grs @296. I have a 24" Cowboy sighted in for this load and get 1 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yards, using a 2-7X Leupold. I have a 7 1/2" OM Flattop that loves this load too.

For shorter shots, I don't mind a heavier bullet like the 429640 in a .44 special case. With 15 1/2grs AA#9, I get about 1350 from a 20" barrel and one hole groups up close, but over about 80-100 yards, I get a little yaw. It weighs about 293grs from my mold/lead. I also have a 310gr HP mold that does about the same with the same .44 special case and AA#9.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop there!

EDK
11-17-2014, 05:18 PM
I've had one (or two or three) for the last forty years. I'm flat broke after a divorce and buying a house (thank GOD for GI bill!) BUT a 1976 vintage 1894 in 44 magnum surfaced at my favorite shop for $400 plus tax two weeks ago. SOLD!
Some of them will feed 429421; others won't. MIHEC 434640 plus RANCH DOG 265 grainer and the NOE plain base clone of same are my current choices. I tend to load "generic" so I don't get surprises using my 44 Vaqueros/Blackhawks. Get helpful loading info both here and over at marlinowners. There are better cartridges ballistically, but the handy little Marlin is inexpensive to shoot...especially with reloads...and you improve your skills.
Your biggest problem is finding the 1894. You have to look for a used one and even REMLINS are scarce.

W.R.Buchanan
11-17-2014, 09:01 PM
What some High Power Rifle People don't seem to understand is that the .44 Magnum round performs way beyond it's paper ballistics.

When you are talking about 300+gr boolits running at 1600-1800 fps you are talking low to mid range .45-70 ballistics. And all of this from a relatively compact gun that is easy to carry and a joy to shoot.

I have no problem with this concept, and no one else will when the shoot something that shows the power graphically like a 5 gallon can of water or a steel target that you knock over off it's stand.

My big awakening came when I hit a 200 Meter 55lb Silhouette Ram and it knocked the thing down like it was swatting a fly!

There is only one level of deadness,,, however there are many ways to achieve it. Used in it's proper context(application) the .44 Magnum from a rifle is as, if not more, effective than any other round out there.

It's advantages far out weigh any negatives it might have.

Randy

starmac
11-17-2014, 10:13 PM
He he, if it is all the same to You, I will still tote the 45/70. I do like my 45, and when I get around to playing with it, I am sure I will like the 44, but neither will ever be a 45/70.

W.R.Buchanan
11-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Starmac: My standard Silhouette Load for my .45-70 is RCBS .45-300 FNGC over 25 gr of 5744 for about 1200 fps. The only thing I wouldn't shoot with that load is a large bear. It would deal with anything below Large Bears easily.

A 300 gr .44 boolit at 1200 fps is the exactly the same amount of power. There is a difference of .026 in diameter, which is nothing.

Certainly a .45-70 is capable of much more power, but so is the .44 Mag, as witnessed by Garrett Ammo's high performances ammo. http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44mag.html

They don't list numbers for .44 Mag in Rifles simply because the gun must be modified to feed the longer rounds. However their .44 Mag rounds range from 1100fps to 1400fps with 310 gr boolits in 7.5" barreled revolvers. By moving the step back on a Marlin Rifle's Lifter these rounds can be fired in a Marlin rifle and the Velocity increase is dramatic yielding around 1800-2000 fps from the 1400 fps pistol load.

That is solidly in the .45-70's Power Range with 300 gr boolits.

Obviously a 400+ gr 45cal boolit at the same velocity is going to be 25% more powerful, but looking at the bottom end of the scale back to Name Brand Factory Loaded .45-70 ammo which might find it's way into a Trapdoor, you are looking at 1200 fps from a rifle, and the hot .44's are way above that power level.

A quick look at Garrett's Gallery of photos will show the places and game taken with both their .45-70 Ammo and .44 Magnum. Both have taken everything.

I agree with the .45-70 being a better choice where you live, but carrying a rifle everywhere you go might get old. A Revolver with High Performance Loads would be a good alternative, and having a rifle that would shoot the same ammo close by would be even better.

Outside the actual town of Fairbanks don't you pretty much need to be armed anywhere you go? That seems to be what I see on the "Buying Alaska" Show on TV. Would love to come visit, maybe when it's not snowing?

Randy

starmac
11-18-2014, 02:39 PM
LOL I watch that show for kicks now and again (wife likes to watch it) but like any reality show, it is far from reality. lol

I do carry a 7 1/2 in sbh 44 anytime I'm out and about, but chances of needing it are slim, but there is a chance. I would never put down any rifle to use a pistol unless I was rabbit hunting. lol

Mohillbilly
11-19-2014, 05:45 AM
Got a Rossi .454 on the way , that is my baby 45-70 . SS 16" will match up with my Ruger SS 7 1/2 Blk hwk or my 83 Casull . Some day I'll get a cowboy .45-70 and really put the hurt on my shoulder. It will match up with an American Derringer in 45-70 Gov / 45 Colt That thing kills on one end and maims on the other .

Duster340
11-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks again for all the recent replies folks. I really appreciate all the different points of view. :p