PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Malcolm scope on a percussion muzzle loader????

oldracer
11-15-2014, 04:24 PM
After reading Major Roberts muzzle loader reference book several times I have spent some time looking at the pictures in detail. I noted, as did he in the text, that many of the target shooters used 4x to 6x rifle scopes such as the reproduction Malcolm long tube. I had one mounted on a 45-70 Sharps that I sold to a fellow in TN about 1 1/2 years ago and I really loved it, once I got it locked down so it would not slide all over the place!

The rear of the sight tube is about in the same location as the tang sight on my slug guns which both have patent breech setups. I am not sure if I were to mount a scope with the rear mount on the barrel if I would be able to remove the barrel for transport and/or cleaning? The alternative would be to mount the rear of the scope where the tang sight is mounted and have the whole scope be removed transport and/or barrel cleaning. He mentions in the book that most used boiling water to clean the barrels so I am guessing the scope would come off? Is that a bad guess and has anyone here done a mount like this and if so how did it work? The height of the tube would be high enough to miss the hammer so I do not feel that will be an issue. Any help or very detailed pictures are appreciated greatly.

johnson1942
11-16-2014, 01:38 PM
if you can put it on and from a rest you will be able to put holes in holes with that set up. no reason it wont work.

Plastikosmd
11-16-2014, 07:13 PM
All of my target guns, scopes are removed every time.

oldracer
11-16-2014, 11:53 PM
The removal of my scope for barrel cleaning is the plan, so........how do you mount the scope? With the one I had on my Sharps the front dovetail was a sliding, spring loaded ring and the rear was the regular vertical adjustment type with two screws in a barrel mounted adapter. I would be planing to make the rear a lift off/clamp type ring mount that is fastened to the barrel an inch or so in front of the breech threads.

Plastikosmd
11-17-2014, 07:05 AM
All of mine use an unertl type mount (s) front and rear. 2 thumb screws to loosen. I clean with scope on, just don't carry/pack away/transport or store w scope.
The guns are too heavy and would damage my scope and I swap different scopes on different guns

Dogmann
01-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Pics of the guns???

country gent
01-10-2016, 04:17 PM
If you get the MVA malcomb scope there is a front and rear block similar to the unertal posi blocks with 2 screws with alighnment noses in the rings that set into blind holes in the rings. The scope can be removed and installed with good repeatability. The MA scopes come with screw on steel caps that seal well also. Both front and rear mounts have windage adjustment in them also. Mounting the blocks requires drilling and tapping 4 holes on location 2 for rear block and 2 for front block. Done carefully reinstalling athe scope is ussually inside the 10 ring for me.

Plastikosmd
01-10-2016, 04:55 PM
A couple
breisen .69 slug gun, 80lbs+
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/breisen%2069/eb3fc9ad.jpg

Rl Morris .485 slug

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/r%20l%20morris/91c1dde3-1.jpg

Renard, tho just a tube on it here
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/renard%20underhammer/8089019a7fbc641c954990e58347d9ea_zpsf9491f9f.jpg

Other guns with external adjust except the Morris which was shown before. Generally these scopes stay on except Morris
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/guns%20misc/593f8449251be281b7d3e5e1ec24a207_zps61237569.jpg

oldracer
01-10-2016, 05:31 PM
I got this issue solved by doing the following: I cut a dovetail slot where the rear mount would go. Then I made a dovetail "plate" about 2 inches long that slid into the cut dovetail and used a pair of flat headed screws threaded into the area in front and behind the slot to hold it solid. I mounted the adjustable Leatherwood mount to the plate with 4 flat head screws and lots of locktite since it kept coming loose and finally is secure. I did the final screw tightening after centering the rear mount and use the front mount to do any minor wind adjustments. I have to loosen the height in the ear to allow barrel removal since the gun has a hooked patent breach and the barrel is long. So far the reinstall of the barrel has not shown any loss of previous setting once I make sure the scope is reset correctly.

Those are some really nice looking slug guns and as soon as my barrel comes in to Pecatonica River I plan to build a 45 caliber under hammer slug gun and they are trying to get me a 1.5 or 2 inch barrel which should work well.

johnson1942
01-10-2016, 07:24 PM
ive got a urge to shoot some target bumble bee groups of late in the summer and not hunt as much as i used to. my gun isnt a slug gug as pictured by others but too heavy for the shoulder, so its a bench gun i guess. im going to have taylor in the future reline the barrel from a fast twist 50 to a 1/16 twist 40 cal. im going to shoot a 1.15 long .392 swaged bullet chase single wrap in it and i expect holles in holes. as i get older target shooting is going to be more and more my thing. the gun now is set up with montana vintages back soule sight and a hair set single trigger. recoil is nil now and wont be anything in 40 cal. less lead and less powder. may even put a dead mule in the butt stock to make the recoil nothing. the sleeved barrel will reduce barrel whip a great amount and i then can join you guys with the target rifles in showing my groups. i expect nothing less than the best groups. will most likely buy a spool of pure lead wire to swage instead of casting a core, then swageing. could get a lot of bullets out of a spool of lead wire. a 1.4 long bullet will be used for 100 to 200 yards and a 1.15 to 1.2 for 1000 yard work. now im going to sell some thing to turn this dream into reality. if you want to see part of the rifle im going to convert go to pineridgeblackpowder.com and i have a partial picture of it on my web site. you guys have got me going, thanks.

Plastikosmd
01-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Thx
On the subject of building:
I picked up a really nice stainless action with one of my guns. It has some history, I think breisen was involved with it. Heavy underhammer type. Right now it is a paperweight. Someday...
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/guns%20misc/2b6cf228.jpg

Geezer in NH
01-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Sweet Ken made some nice guns and fantastic accurate barrels!!

My wife's .45 LB/Buff was made by Ken. It was his wife's gun when I bought it from him at Ft. TY

Plastikosmd
01-15-2016, 10:44 PM
^agree, I got a unique Ballard of his I need to post about someday