thanks
philippe

bangerjim
11-15-2014, 05:10 PM
There are at lease 3 choices.
HF
Eastwood
AMAZON gun

I use and have no problems with the HF gun. I have at 4 air compressors, all the hoses and regs ever needed, so no additional expenditure needed. You WILL need all that to make it work. Fine tuning and playing around is required to get the air/power flow just right. It takes me about 10-12 minutes to get it out and all hooled up. And the same to put it away.

The Eastman gun is more of a semi-pro version of the HF gun. Never used one. Mabe someone that used one will chime in. Costs more and probably will last longer?

The $50 Amazon gun is a recent unit I bought to just play with it and really like. It is NOT the old Craftsman gun which is now obsolete from Sears, so don't go plowing thru the Sears catalog. So far it has worked very well. Just grab it and start spraying, No compressor, hose, reg needed. All self contained. Sprayed perfect boolits for me right out of the box. Read the couple of threads on here about it. Reviews and comments are there.

Good luck in your new venture!

banger

Spector
11-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Did you try HF red by any chance in your Amazon gun? If so did it do a good job as well?

bangerjim
11-18-2014, 07:33 PM
I have a mix right now of 70% HF red and 30% Smoke blue to give me some purple. Perfect coat. Earlier I used a combo of blue and HF yellow to get me some good green. Still.......a perfect coat.

Are you having a problem with HF red or something??????? It is one of the easiesy colors to coat with either method. Did a lot of it with the HF gun. Perfect coats. Every time. Hot/cold/wet/dry outside....no problems.

I feel any powder, since it was engineered that way, will apply perfectly with the ES method. It is the voodoo witchcraft DT method that has all the problems. Especially matte black.

banger

edctexas
11-19-2014, 10:50 PM
In my hopefully last test batch, I did some mixed colors. There was no witchcraft. Trying the other methods for yellow and matte black gave occasionally useable boolits. All of my ES boolits are useable for shooting. Some look funny or have uncoated noses. All shot fairly accurately and no leading. The matte black seems dirtier than any other colors.

I really like the ES process as it is repeatable with no spells or charms!

Ed C

Spector
11-20-2014, 10:15 AM
I have only used HF red so far and did it in the Cool Whip bowl. It worked well enough on some 45's and 38 wad-cutters. I bought the HF powder coat gun and already had a small compressor I'd purchased. Never hooked it up yet. The Amazon gun sounds like a decent thing to try as prep time sounds very manageable.

Just bought a new Glock 41 and ordered a KKM barrel. Was trying to get my grandson interested in center fire and away from the hard to find 22 rimfire stuff. I am set for life for lead and have plenty of powder, primers and brass. He kept badmouthing Glock as if he were an expert from all his reading online....favoring the 1911 models. I took him to a gunshop and let him handle several different 1911's. Prices were high. I suggested he at least pick up the Glock 41. Suddenly, in his hand, Glock won him over. I love the Glock trigger system and personally do not like 1911's much. If he starts early with the Glock system I believe he will be fine. When he is of age this Glock will become his. I carry an XDs and have no 45's cast up at all. I need to get on the stick because he is chomping at the bit. He asks everyday when he gets home from school if I've cast any boolits. I want to teach him the powder coat system.

Think I'll try to order one of those Amazon powder coat guns today. The KKM barrel should be here in a few days and the range is less that 4 miles from my home......Mike

Whizzer
11-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Think I'll try to order one of those Amazon powder coat guns today. The KKM barrel should be here in a few days and the range is less that 4 miles from my home......Mike

I just pulled the trigger on the Amazon gun last night myself. Should arrive late in November. I've done several calibers dry tumbling with AirSoft BB's in plastic containers, and that works so well, I really have no idea why I ordered a gun. :-\

Well.... Matte Black is now on the menu. That's about it.

But maybe I'll reeeeally like it??! (High humidity won't stop me I guess. Trying to rationalize... )

ipijohn
11-21-2014, 10:13 AM
I just pulled the trigger on the Amazon gun last night myself. Should arrive late in November. I've done several calibers dry tumbling with AirSoft BB's in plastic containers, and that works so well, I really have no idea why I ordered a gun. :-\

Well.... Matte Black is now on the menu. That's about it.

But maybe I'll reeeeally like it??! (High humidity won't stop me I guess. Trying to rationalize... )

Believe Banger, others and I when we say ES from a gun is more better in its ability to get good results in any weather condition even using cheap powders.

gpidaho
11-24-2014, 10:57 AM
I use the Eastwood gun and am happy with it. I was mad at HF at the moment when I was looking for a PC gun.(just a crappy tool purchase not PC equipment) From what I read here, the Eastwood gun seems to like a little more powder in the jar and works best at around 8lbs pressure. Just like casting it takes some time to figure out the best means of getting the best results. When I DT I like to use a small amount of HF matte black in the mix for accent, with color mixing you can get some very interesting colors on your boolits. GP

Huvius
11-24-2014, 02:03 PM
I bought the Amazon gun and it works really well but of course it is very dry here in CO.
The cup lock was broken when it came but the cup stays in place without issue.

Beetmagnet
11-24-2014, 03:37 PM
There are at lease 3 choices.
HF
Eastwood
AMAZON gun

I use and have no problems with the HF gun. I have at 4 air compressors, all the hoses and regs ever needed, so no additional expenditure needed. You WILL need all that to make it work. Fine tuning and playing around is required to get the air/power flow just right. It takes me about 10-12 minutes to get it out and all hooled up. And the same to put it away.

The Eastman gun is more of a semi-pro version of the HF gun. Never used one. Mabe someone that used one will chime in. Costs more and probably will last longer?

The $50 Amazon gun is a recent unit I bought to just play with it and really like. It is NOT the old Craftsman gun which is now obsolete from Sears, so don't go plowing thru the Sears catalog. So far it has worked very well. Just grab it and start spraying, No compressor, hose, reg needed. All self contained. Sprayed perfect boolits for me right out of the box. Read the couple of threads on here about it. Reviews and comments are there.

Good luck in your new venture!

banger

By chance...is this the gun you bought? http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Complete-Portable-Powder-Coating/dp/B004YEAYCW/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1416857501&sr=1-7&keywords=powder+coat+guns
I might pick one of these up just to be able to use at night and not have all the air compressor noise.

Huvius
11-24-2014, 07:30 PM
That looks just like it but mine didn't come with any tips or a carry case.
Maybe the tips will help with mitigating overspray.

Beagle333
11-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Just from reading, those look like silicone plugs to keep from getting the powder into various sized holes when you spray, instead of tips.:confused:

bangerjim
11-24-2014, 11:09 PM
My Amazon gun is NOT a Craftsman. I heard Sears discontinued that product years ago doe to many problems and returns. Are those Amazon Craftsman units used referb units???????????

Mine has NO label on it, is brand new, and came with two 1/2" ear-plug type plugs...for the in and out of the powder container so you can store it.

I have no idea on that one you list.

I will try to find the Amazon number I ordered, but I probably threw the paper away weeks ago.

banger

Huvius
11-24-2014, 11:49 PM
I see that they are little plugs. Thanks for pointing that out.
I did look up my gun on my amazon history and they are out of stock now.