PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to make the forums more user friendly

dtknowles
11-15-2014, 11:34 AM
If you start a new thread, please take some time and effort to make the title as informative as possible.

If when reading a post you get an idea that is off topic but meaningful, don't post it in that thread but start a new thread.

I don't know whether it is laziness or stupid thinking but many threads go off topic and some thread titles do not make it clear what the discussion is going to be about.

Tim

BrassMagnet
11-15-2014, 11:41 AM
I agree!
Especially in Swapping and Selling!
If a thread is labeled "for sale" it doesn't give anyone a clue what is for sale.
The search function on the site doesn't seem to work, or works poorly. I recently searched for a thread on an item for sale and I could not find it using the site advanced search feature. Thankfully, a member could tell me what thread it was in and was able to buy it. Whoo Hooo!

MtGun44
11-17-2014, 01:33 AM
"Threads go off topic. . . . . ." Really, never noticed. :kidding:

Good luck, like wanting to change the way the wind blows, I think.

Good idea to make title, esp in "Swapping and Selling", descriptive.

Bill

snuffy
11-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Some of the most interesting threads I have read, are ones that go off topic! I don't get the reason why people get all bent out of shape when an off-topic comment is made. Is there some unwritten rule about going off-topic? Or was it written somewhere, then forgotten?

Doesn't making another thread increase bandwidth? I only, barely know enough to turn this thing on each day, maybe we should have an eggspurt tell us about bandwidth an posting rules!?:D:brokenima

dtknowles
11-17-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't know any rule about off topic posting, I was just making a suggestion. I dislike following a thread topic of interest when it gets off topic but is still not dead and still has topical posts, you have to sort through the off topic posts to see if any new topical posts have been added. If a tread only contains topical posts then I know when it has unread posts that they would be about something of which I am interested.

Tim

RugerFan
11-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Thread hijacking is a time honored traditon here. Good luck with that one.

USAFrox
11-17-2014, 03:58 PM
So, how about them Brooklyn Dodgers? ;-)

DCP
11-17-2014, 06:37 PM
So, how about them Brooklyn Dodgers? ;-)

The word is next week they will play the Baltimore Colts

Blammer
11-18-2014, 08:30 PM
I say move all the stickies into one thread at the top, that'll make it more user friendly.

or better yet, get more friendly users. :)

btroj
11-18-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm a friendly user. To some. Does that count?

And yea, a good, clear thread title is a good thing. Then again so is proper spelling and grammar but I won't go there.....

jmort
11-18-2014, 08:47 PM
"If a thread is labeled "for sale" it doesn't give anyone a clue what is for sale."

Seriously, does it matter what it is? You done bought it before I get done reading the post. Actually, seriously, for real, I like the off topic posts.

dragon813gt
11-18-2014, 09:23 PM
I say move all the stickies into one thread at the top, that'll make it more user friendly.

or better yet, get more friendly users. :)

He*l hasn't frozen over yet

Reg
11-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Whats for sale--- did I miss something ???

RayinNH
11-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Whats for sale--- did I miss something ???

Something about a sail for sale.

RED333
11-19-2014, 12:48 AM
User friendly, what fun is that.