PDA

View Full Version : For the Marlin guys (like me)

sghart3578
11-15-2014, 01:50 AM
I wanted to share my success with you guys since this forum has been my source of knowledge and inspiration. My latest project is a Marlin 1894CS in .357 mag, my all time favorite caliber ( but I say that about all of the calibers ). This rifle is everything a woods rifle is supposed to be. Light, fast, and now, accurate.

In my previous projects you guys helped me turn a VZ24 7X57 built in the early 20th century into a superb 100 and 200 yard shooter. This was done through beagling, checking, sizing and homemade lube. After that I used the knowledge gained from this site to turn my 30-30 into a cast boolit shooting laser beam that handles cat sneeze loads on cottontails all the way to hammer loads on pigs, etc.

By the time I got my 1894CS I had already read reams of articles on the microgroove preference for larger boolits. But I decided to check for myself. (Isn't it funny how we have to see things for ourselves before we can believe it? Even when we know what we are going to find?) Long story short: the hot cast loads that I had used with great success in my S&W revolvers were terrible in the accuracy department and leaded horribly in my new rifle.

I bought a new Lee 358-158-RF mold that dropped a beautiful boolit. I set aside a morning when I would not be interrupted and lapped out the cavities, then polished them. The boolits now drop at .362-.363". I then honed out a new Lee push thru sizer to .360". After some load experimenting I have settled on 9.1 gr of Accurate #7. It does 1424 fps at the muzzle and the accuracy is outstanding. The target was shot at 38 yards. The accuracy was aided with a Skinner peep sight I might add. This rifle will now take over camp meat/rabbit/squirrel duties from my 30-30.

In closing, you guys are the best. Thanks to each and every one of you.

121835 121836

My next project is a Thompson/Center Hawken from Gunbroker that I am resurrecting.

clum553946
11-15-2014, 02:03 AM
I just popped a Skinner on top of my Marlin, the same as yours, but haven't had the chance to shoot it. Did you have to change out the front sight too? Thanks & great looking rifle!

Slow Elk 45/70
11-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Nice piece , sounds like you have a handle on how to make an excellent shooter out of it, look out bunnies [smilie=w:

sghart3578
11-15-2014, 02:15 AM
To clum553946:

It's funny you should ask about the front sight. The group I have posted is with the factory front sight and the peep set to it's lowest position. I had just ordered a taller front sight right before I started this thread. If I were you I would keep my stock front sight on the gun and see how it shoots, you may be able to keep it.

To Slow Elk 45/70:

Thanks for the kind words.

monge
11-15-2014, 04:40 AM
Great work nice gun its a good feeling when you turn a pile of wheel weights into accurate Boolits!

FergusonTO35
11-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Lookin' good!! How did you lap the cavities? I have a couple of molds that need that treatment.

sghart3578
11-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Lookin' good!! How did you lap the cavities? I have a couple of molds that need that treatment.

Well, the first thing I did was make sure the wife had gone shopping with the sisters for the day. I then turned off my phones, put a "no solicitors' sign on my gate, and put on some coffee. Nothing I could do about my dog, he pokes his head in no matter what I tell him.

I cast up a small pile of bullets, 10 or 20. I look through them and get 4 of the best ones. This is easy because the new Lee two cavity molds are excellent.

I then put two bullets back in a cooled off mold and close the sprue plate. I use this as a guide to find the ceneter for my holes I am going to drill. I drill holes in four of the bullets to hold sheet metal screws. I coat two of the screws with valve lapping compound from the auto store. If there is a lot of material to remove you could go with coarse but I usually use fine. I use my drill motor to slowly turn the screws in the mold while holding them closed with light pressure.

After I do both cavities I wash the mold with hot water and Dawn soap. Then I use the other two bullet/screw combinations to polish the cavities. For this I use toothpaste with baking soda in it. Go for at least 60 seconds with the toothpaste. Then remove the bullets, wipe off the toothpaste, wipe out the mold cavities, add new toothpaste and do it again. I repeat a couple of times.

Clean the mold again and cast some bullets to check for size. BE PATIENT! This may take a while and this is why I clear my garage of distractions.

After the bullets drop at .002"-.003" over the target diameter you are ready to do modify the sizer. I use a 1/4" dowel with a strip of 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper, coated with light gun oil or machine oil. Remove the big lock nut on the sizing die so it rolls flat on a flat surface. Coat the sandpaper in oil, chuck it in your drill motor and go to work. I spin the dowel at pretty high speed while simultaneously rolling the die back and forth along the table top and moving the dowel in and out of the die with smooth strokes.

Stop frequently!! Clean the die and push a new oversized bullet through it to check your progress. Be patient, stop frequently to measure, did I mention be patient?

You can do it!

To all of the forum members out there waiting to send me suggestions: Please don't. I know there are better ways to do this but I don't have a shop with a lathe, side cutting mill, drill press, plasma cutters, TIG welders, beer dispensers or popcorn machines. I am a poor blue collar guy with shade tree mechanic skills and very basic hand tools. My reloading table is an old solid core door from the dump with 2X4 legs.

TXGunNut
11-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Nice old rifle, thanks for sharing. Been kicking around getting a 357 levergun but so far haven't lucked into one I like. Enjoy!

starmac
11-15-2014, 04:53 PM
I never wanted and really didn't have a need for a pistol cal lever, but ran across a 45 marlin that is just downright fun to plink with. Since my wife also thinks it is fun, I'm now watching for a deal on a 357 for her. I did run across a 44 that I couldn't pass up. We haven't got around to trying it yet, but since she has a 357 blackhawk, I'm still thinking she needs a 357.

dragon813gt
11-15-2014, 05:08 PM
I never wanted and really didn't have a need for a pistol cal lever,

Hogwash, every gun owner needs one ;). They're one of the best handling rifles you can own. They easily pull duty up to deer size game. I've been trying to fill a bear tag w/ one but still haven't been able to find a bear in season. They're also really fun to shoot. It's a good thing feeding them is economical.

izzyjoe
11-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Nice shootin', and good job on opening up that mold with what you had on hand, but man you really need to get a beer dispenser, and a popcorn machine!

sghart3578
11-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Nice shootin', and good job on opening up that mold with what you had on hand, but man you really need to get a beer dispenser, and a popcorn machine!

I agree and both are on my Christmas list.

FergusonTO35
11-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks, I sure will do that. I have a couple molds that could use some attention.

Tristan
11-17-2014, 11:45 PM
"After that I used the knowledge gained from this site to turn my 30-30 into a cast boolit shooting laser beam that handles cat sneeze loads on cottontails all the way to hammer loads on pigs, etc."

As I am embarking on the same path, if you have the time I'd love to see a write up of how you did it!

And, congradulations on the success with the Marlin 357!

TXGunNut
11-19-2014, 12:44 AM
I don't know about the laser beam part but the thutty-thutty is one of the most versatile, forgiving and capable rounds ever designed. It's also quite economical...until they start multiplying like rabbits. ;-)