PDA

View Full Version : Belle's first Rooster retrieve

ohland
11-14-2014, 06:13 PM

Belle has been working very hard the last two weeks, and other than mice (and deer!) not much has turned up. Winds have been 8-20 mph, today was 9mph and 23 degrees... Some days are really hard for Belle to work scent. Today we had gone out in some grass / weed fields with the normal non-violent experience... Walking back on the levee crown, she was working the strip between the crest and the drainage ditch on the left. She was working long (about 50 yards plus) and we were @ 75 yards from the truck. Then she went longer, crossed the ditch on the bridge (not my first choice...), got across, then worked the far bank back towards the old retrobate and his 16ga SxS.

Put it down on our side of the ditch and the water wolf hopped in, swam across, picked up the bird, and brought it in. Belle loves water. She really does. If we were duck hunters, Belle would get fired up for jump shooting or blind work.

Anyways, she does stand on her hind legs when she feels that it is necessary. Oh, the other bank is private land, but she can't read... Remember, Brittany Spaniels are supposedly a poacher's dog. Look it up.

waynem34
11-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Very nice. Hard to beat a dog like that. I can still hear the bellows and barks. Most would think it a nuisance, music to my ears. I worked for a man with dogs never had any of my own. Not sure but all rabbit dogs and pheasant dogs are similar.

22-250ohio
11-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Nothing better than watching and listening to a good dog work. I love a good fat and slow beagle to hunt over

RED333
11-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Good dog, I truly love reading yalls hunt tales.

Plate plinker
11-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Just love to watch a dog get birdie.

MaryB
11-14-2014, 11:53 PM
Loved watching my lab work birds, and she was a super retriever. That is when she didn't decide deer were more important...

ohland
11-15-2014, 09:45 PM
when she didn't decide deer were more important...

She put up three deer on Thursday.