PDA

View Full Version : NEI 429-235 mould

Swagerman
02-11-2008, 01:07 AM
The NEI mould 429-235 cast an approx. 235 grains, then bumps up to 245 when GC and lube are added.

The gas check area of the mould is a tad too small, my Hornady gas checks are difficult to make them to stay on.

I've tried peaning the bullets base before attachment of gas check, this helps some but still not a great solutetion.

Have tried running the gas check on the base of the bullet up into my .432 swaging die to seat the GC, but the bullet tends to get a bit squished and that closes up the lube grooves somewhat.

Then I run them through the Star .432 lubesizer, and if the GC is not tightly sealed on the bullets base...I get a big gob of lube pushing the GC away from the bullets base.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will chamfering the GC area open it up thus making the bullets base wider, has anyone done this to a mould for the purpose of having better gas check attachments.

Any other ideas...

Jim

calsite
02-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Had the same problem, only with RCBS .429 mould, I was given a variety of advice, from reaming out my mould to annealing and flaring my gas checks. I'm going to start with annealing and work up from there. I noticed that your running through a .432 sizer, what are your boolit dimensions right out of the mould? And your boolit bases are still a bit small for your gas checks, wow! I'm having trouble seating mine all the way on.

Bass Ackward
02-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Well, the base area of the mold needs to be bigger. I would call NEI And see if they can make it right. Otherwise it will be on you to devise a method you feel comfortable with.

Swagerman
02-11-2008, 10:36 AM
This NEI mould belongs to a friend in another state, he's casting some bullets for me and the mould has been beagled to make them bigger projectiles of .431 to .432 diameter.

These bullets are mainly for my Taurus revolver that has oversized cylinder throats of .434 diameter and a .429 barrel.

My friend is really making excellent cast bullets, they are 16 to 1 in hardness and look great.

Perhaps the bullets lead base is drawing away from the top part of the slug because of the beagling...I can only speculate as I've never done beagling.

However, beagling is good on none gas check bullets.

Jim

Swagerman
02-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Maybe Mr. Beagle can shed some light on this Gas Check shrinkage problem?

Jim