PDA

View Full Version : it works!

twc1964
11-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Hi guys, for the last month or so ive been casting the lee .356-120tc boolit. The mold was dropping em right at .356 and i found out i needed .358. Well no amount of valve compound worked so i was about to give up on this mold. I had read about beagling but thought it would be hard or overly involved. Well after reading some more, i remembered that i have a full roll of aluminum tape in the closet so i tried it. Well hot dam and pass the bottle, i sure worked and darn good too! Now im droppin em at .360 and they size out great. So easy and quick, i wish i had tried it before. Now im melting the 2k of undersized slugs and makin em right. Oh well, that just gives me something to do this weekend.

MtGun44
11-15-2014, 03:52 AM
Beagling is a good tool to have in the toolbox. My Lee 356-120 TC drops at
.358-.359 with wheelweight alloy plus a bit of tin.

"No amount of valve compound worked..." -- this is surprising, you should be
able to easily lap out the cavities for a permanent diameter increase.

Bill

twc1964
11-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Well, i didnt want to just keep griding away with the compound as i had a hard time getting the cavities polished smooth afterwards. The compound said fine grit but its darn sure not what i call fine! I guess im just impatient but i had the tape and a pair of scissors......sooo, i can live withreplacing the tape every now and the. If it gets messed up. As long as my boolits are fat im a happy camper lol

Ben
11-15-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm with Bill, I promise you that the valve grinding compound on the bullet would have easily opened the cavities .002" ! !