PDA

View Full Version : New Lehigh Valley custom flintlock rifle in .45...

crowbarforge
11-13-2014, 11:19 PM
I was finally able to scratch enough cash to get a real hand made for me custom .45 Lehigh Valley style flintlock rifle. Checked out the load chart (http://goexpowder.com/load-chart.html) stickied in the thread for starting charges.

I am using a thin cotton patch, .440 RB and spit for patch. SHE SHOOTS GREAT!!! I cast WW for my smooth bores, but think softer will be required for the rifle. Or cast smaller and use a thinker patch? This is a deer hunting rifle, so no twinkie cat-sneeze loads allowed.

I can cast my own RB, so how do I go about figuring out what size to go with?

docone31
11-14-2014, 12:30 AM
.10 under for a ball. .445 for target

drago9900
11-14-2014, 09:03 AM
You'll just have to try some of each to see which she likes best. Wheel weight should be fine in a rifle with patch. Check to see what size the balls drop from your mold, different alloys will be different sizes. Some have shot brass balls with good results. Thick patches will be better with hard alloys.

crowbarforge
11-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks....will get busy trying a few combinations.

Hanshi
11-14-2014, 03:18 PM
You are gonna love the .45; my favorite deer caliber.

RayinNH
11-14-2014, 04:22 PM
.10 under for a ball. .445 for target

I believe you mean .010.

RayinNH
11-14-2014, 04:23 PM
I was finally able to scratch enough cash to get a real hand made for me custom .45 Lehigh Valley style flintlock rifle. Checked out the load chart (http://goexpowder.com/load-chart.html) stickied in the thread for starting charges.

I am using a thin cotton patch, .440 RB and spit for patch. SHE SHOOTS GREAT!!! I cast WW for my smooth bores, but think softer will be required for the rifle. Or cast smaller and use a thinker patch? This is a deer hunting rifle, so no twinkie cat-sneeze loads allowed.

I can cast my own RB, so how do I go about figuring out what size to go with?

We like pictures. Please.

crowbarforge
11-18-2014, 10:48 PM
I will endeavor to take a few next outing. This is the first swamped barrel rifle I have owned. Already have another build in the works. Hoorah, do they shoot nice!
Hanshi...did we meet virtually on another forum?