PDA

View Full Version : PID for dummies

Jevyod
11-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Ok so I admit to being rather dense when it comes to electronics and wiring. I tried to make sense out of all the PID threads, but just got bogged down. Is there a particular thread that is so simple even a simple minded person like me can understand it?!:oops:
I did talk to an electrician friend of mine that said he might be able to help me build one. But he wanted to see diagrams and a parts list. I am looking for the absolute cheapest route I can go. Can anybody help?

bangerjim
11-13-2014, 02:06 PM
If you search and look in the controller threads, you will find pictures of diagragms that people have posted on how to wire.

Very simple!!!!!

proportional integral derivative controller wiring:
120 v input
type K t/c input
120 vac relay controlled output (or voltage depending on your equipment)

That's it!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?34547-How-I-wired-a-PID-to-control-temperature

You take the controller output to a solid state relay for the current requirement of your pot.

bangerjim

Mike W1
11-13-2014, 02:08 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181319-Pid-Controller-Schematic

This would be a good place to start looking. They're really simple electrically. You simply have a relay (SSR type) to put out power to the melting pot. The PID triggers it from a signal from the thermocouple (TC) sends when the temperature needs adjustment. You supply power (AC) to operate the PID and also the hot side of the SSR. Think of the SSR as merely a switch controlled by that PID signal. Your buddy will figure that diagram out easily. The terminals on the PID vary a bit as to make/model. There's plenty of guys on here that will assist you and that thread also gives you some idea of what to purchase. You can spend very little money or quite a lot and actually get the desired result - control of your pot temperature.

dpoe001
11-13-2014, 02:11 PM
PM sent i may be able to help.i use a pid as a thermometer on my turkey fryer. Just so i don't accidentaly melt any zinc.I see these thrown out all the time (cheaper to replace than repair).

Yodogsandman
11-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Be sure that the schematic you use is for the PID unit you have or will get. I tried the above schematic. It was for a two alarm and I had a one alarm PID. Glad I checked!

bangerjim
11-13-2014, 04:45 PM
OP.......Just read the lable on the terminals on the back or side of the controller you get....whether is it a one alarm, two alarm or alarm alarm. Alarms make not difference to what you are trying to accomplish with the t/c and the SSR control......just follow the label that tells you what the individual screw terminals are for! Land the appropriate wires there and terminate them to where they are supposed to go.

Not rocket science.......just simple wiring up of a simple electrical device.

Have fun and do not be afraid of it!

banger

dikman
11-14-2014, 02:03 AM
What he said, don't get carried away with extra alarms, lights, LEDs etc, they're not needed. Keep it simple. The PID display itself will tell you all you'll need to know.