PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this taper crimp?

6bg6ga
11-13-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm getting a shinney ring at the top of the case when using a LEE taper crimp die marked Lee 9MM -F4.

Is it just the result of a cheap Lee die? I don't get this result with my RCBS die.

Dan Cash
11-13-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm getting a shinney ring at the top of the case when using a LEE taper crimp die marked Lee 9MM -F4.

Is it just the result of a cheap Lee die? I don't get this result with my RCBS die.

Yes. Don't worry about it.

Guesser
11-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Looks like all I've seen, the more flare the shinier the ring. Happens on my cast loads all the time, doesn't matter the brand name. Probably most noticeable on 38 Special, in my stable.

TNsailorman
11-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Like the man said, the more the case mouth is flared, the more pressure is applied to the crimp ring, and the pressure polishes the case and the ring shows up. my experience anyway, james

tazman
11-13-2014, 10:41 AM
I get that ring as well. It has caused no problems that I know of. Some of my brass has been loaded as much as 10 times without failing.

youngmman
11-13-2014, 11:41 AM
I use the Redding taper crimp and profile crimp dies and don't see a shiny ring on any caliber. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with the Lee die, just saying.

seaboltm
11-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Looks fine. Plus, the case does not look all that well polished to begin with, so any work done to the rim will tend to stand out.

MT Chambers
11-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Prolly comes down to polishing or lack thereof, and the Redding will be well finished.

leeggen
11-13-2014, 07:22 PM
sometimes it is the short quick flare a case gets. No big deal load away and go shoot the ring will never be seen til next time it is reloaded.
CD

michiganmike
11-13-2014, 07:50 PM
I get the shiny ring on my 40 S&W rounds. It has no noticeable affect on performance.

gwpercle
11-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Not the result of " cheap " Lee dies, can happen with any die. Just the flare being straightened out. Longer the case, more the flare, more noticeable ...Don't blame Lee, not his fault.
Gary

bedbugbilly
11-15-2014, 07:41 PM
I use a Lee taper die on my 9mm and get the same thing - always attributed it to the flare and it being taken out. I load 38 Colt Shorts and use a 9mm taper die on them since I have to flare 'em - get the same thing. I just use "range brass" for my 9mm so figure it shows more due to not being polished brass. They function just fine in my SR9 and that's all that counts.

3006guns
11-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Rule of thumb when it comes to flaring case mouths.........the flare should be more "felt" than "seen". Your fingertips are actually quite good at detecting a very slight flare and this will result in less working of the brass. Or, to state it another way, flare only enough to start the boolit.

I got that bit of advice over forty years ago when my flaring and crimping were extreme to say the least. Looking back, I'm surprised any of my .38 specials managed to make it out of the case!

As for the cartridge in the pic.....no problem, perfectly normal.

mdi
11-17-2014, 12:44 PM
I just reloaded a box of 9mm a few days ago and was using a bit more crimp than I usually do (I normally don't "crimp", I just straignten out the case mouth). I got that shiny ring, but I backed off a bit on my crimp die (Redding) and it went away...

almostgem
11-18-2014, 05:54 PM
I get that too. As long as the crimp isn't enough to deform the bullet, it should pose no problem with accuracy. I also agree that the case should only be flared just enough to start the bullet. I use Lee carbide dies.