PDA

View Full Version : Another zinc question

Lon246
11-13-2014, 01:02 AM
A pot of lead COWW's with one zinc WW in the pot taken to 700degF will melt the lead but not the zinc.
Right?
But, if I have a mixture of lead and zinc metal ingots previously melted at a much higher temperature, what happens when it is heated to 700degF? Does the lead-zinc mix melt at one temperature? I can't flux off unmelted zinc then, can I?
Thanks, I've read a lot of stuff on here, but I don't know.

bangerjim
11-13-2014, 01:45 PM
You can remove Zn ( and the Sb and Sn) bu using either sulfur or copper sulfate. Both available at plant stores and plumbing departments of big boxes.

Zn melts at 787F.
Pb at 622F.

If a Pb/Zn alloy is heated above 670F or so, you will get a gob of oatmeal stuff on the top. Skimming it will remove "most" of the Zn in there, but removing it chemically as mentioned above is really the best way to get pure Pb from your mess. Add the Sn & Sb back in to get what you want.

Do a search on here. This has been asked MANY times!

Best option: make sure you get rid of as many zinker WW's as possible when you are melting!!!!!! Lots of work to undo that mistake.

If your alloy is only 2-3% Zn, just add a little more Sn (to lower the surface tension) and cast away. Boolits may be a tad bit lighter in weight.

good luck!

banger

PalmettoProjectiles
11-16-2014, 01:59 AM
alloying zinc out with sulphur is a messy endeavor, stinky too. everyone in the neighborhood may think a gas main burst!