PDA

View Full Version : Would these tables be usable for a tin source?

AFK
11-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Hello all, I am new to this forum and have been reading about casting my own bullets. I have been reloading for about 8 years and have decided to expand my interest in the hobby. Hopefully this link works, but I came accross this ad and wondered if it would be worth picking these tables up to be used as a tin source. I have not purchased any equipment yet as I am still in the early research stage, but sometimes if a deal comes along you gotta jump on it, especially if I can get them for a better price. It would be a big gamble for me to just run out and buy them because I have zero experience with this type of thing, so at this point I would be relying on others to tell me if this is a sound deal. If it is questionable, then I can just keep reading and learning with no regrets. I would just hate to pass it up and then later beat my head against the wall when I realize what I may have passed up. So what are your thoughts? Thanks

http://cnj.craigslist.org/fuo/4741162579.html

imashooter2
11-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I cannot picture those tables actually being made of metal, and if they are made of metal, I cannot picture the metal being genuine pewter. I might contact the guy for some details, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

bruce381
11-12-2014, 11:00 PM
i'd say a paint or coating of some kind not 100% pewter

AFK
11-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Thank you for the welcome and the reply. I did email the seller for some more details. I don't think the material is going to be what I would want either, but I wouldn't want to pass up a Holy Grail so-to-speak, before I educate myself.

RogerDat
11-13-2014, 12:36 AM
I read that ad to say these are wood table that are pewter in color. I see that term pewter used to describe metallic silver in products fairly often. Lamps, handles, cabinet pulls etc. Available in black, bronze and pewter really means black, some sort of brown and a grey or silver.

littlejack
11-13-2014, 12:59 AM
AFK:
Welcome to the CastBoolits sir:
I have gone down to my local radiator shop, and ask for the solder dripping. They were free, and the owner was actually glad to get rid of the stuff. You may want to give that a try.
I melt it down and then pour it into coins, using one of those small aluminum candle holders. You could also cast them in a boolit mold. Round ball molds work well for this.
You can go to your local scrap yard, and if they have one, use there XRF analyzer to get the exact amount of all elements in your alloy sample. That is what I did, AND they did it for free.

Regards
Jack