PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDs 45ACP Pleasnatly surprised

prs
11-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Yesterday was a good day. Bluebird sunny, calm, very warm, low humidity, and 300+ beautiful miles on a motorcycle through these West Virginia hills. Stopped at a shop to stretch my legs and noticed they had no powder, no primers, no rim fire ammo; but the pistol case was stocked. Why do we do it? I have lots of guns, can only shoot two pistols at a time anyway. But that one little pistol was call'n my name. It followed home. This XDs was of recent manufacture, July of 2014, so post recall mods. 45ACP in that little fellow would be punishing to shoot and maybe difficult to hold on target during the buck'n roar, I told myself. And, I shoot only one handed; either hand, but single handed. My joy ride continued until darkness, so at home the new addition only got the precursory stripping, cleaning, inspection and dry fire.

Today was a good day. I got to shoot. Any day you get to shoot has a leg-up on being a good day. It was overcast, windy, cold, damp; no matter, I got to shoot! I used the same 45 ACP rounds I use for my 1911 pistols, 5g of BE under a 200gr SWC (Lee's rendition of sort of a H&G-68). The 96:2:2 air cooled alloy boolits were powder coated, if that matters, and sized .452". The 2 included 5 round mags were filled 10 times each during the session. Zero, nada, zilch problems. They all fed like butter. The steel cowboy action type targets were ringing without fail at 50' shooting right or left handed and I was even able to pick my spots on the targets for POI. Fifty shots each hand at a "fair", yet casual speed, no misses, and only a little soreness of the right hand where I failed to achieve a good grip a time or two. Clean-up was a Ballistol patch and a couple of dry patches before a light oiling of several places per the book. I did not expect to do so well with the little monster.

prs

LUCKYDAWG13
11-12-2014, 09:25 PM
yes the little XDs is a joy its my EDC 90% of the time

Markbo
11-14-2014, 09:41 PM
I got one abiut 6 months ago. It has become my EDC too. And im a 1911 guy!!!

bnelson06
11-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Been looking into one of these since the wife confiscated my summer carry pistol

Gunor
11-16-2014, 12:21 AM
Got one too, it is a nice runner.

geoff in oregon

762 shooter
11-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I have been trying to make my XDS 45ACP malfunction for about a year and a half. No luck. Had to send mine back due to the recall to get the good Mojo put on it. Ran fine before and after. Finest , smallest, most dependable pistol I have found.

Do yourself a favor a find some extended mags for range work. Nice little hand full of bad a$$.

My 100% EDC. And I was a 1911 guy.

Gunor
11-16-2014, 07:51 PM
2 points

Spring kit helps
Mag floor plate - extended- helps - still 5 shots..

762 shooter
11-17-2014, 07:39 AM
These are 7.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/721645/springfield-armory-magazine-springfield-xds-45-acp-7-round-stainless-steel-with-backstrap-1-and-2

MtGun44
11-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Good to hear that the newer guns are happy with SWCs, and fun to shoot.

Bill

prs
11-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Bill, I missed reports that SWCs were troublesome with some these XDs. I have put quite a pile of them through this one. More of the Lee 452-200-SWC than others, but also NOE's 68 rendition in hollow and plain point, plus Lyman's challenging 452-460. Nothing has even hinted at refusing to feed so far (knocking on wood). But, all of my ammo through it so far has been powder coated and that stuff is HARD and SLICK, which probably helps due to slickness and also the lack of lube fouling of the ramp. Of course, you and several others here gave me quite an online education about forming 45ACP rounds that feed as best can.

Thank you!

prs