PDA

View Full Version : Most cost efficient way to ship dies?

JRD
02-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Guys,
I plan on listing some die sets in the Swapping & Selling section here. I'm wondering if there is a preferred cost efficient method of shipping dies. I found out about using flat rate boxes to ship brass efficiently from you guys here.

Thanks for any tips,
Jason

Bullshop
02-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Flat rate envelopes
BIC/BS

JRD
02-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks Bullshop.:-D

NVcurmudgeon
02-10-2008, 11:30 PM
JRD, the flat rate envelopes are only $4.60. You might put one set in a padded envelope and have it weighed. I sent two slugs for measuring cross-country for $1.60. In a padded envelope or flat rate envelope, remember "stuffing" won't add any significant weight.

jonk
02-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Depends on weight. If you're not in a hurry, I suspect that you could pack a set of dies yourself in a small box and mail parcel post cheaper than using a flat rate box. I don't know as I'd trust a flat rate envelope per se as they are pretty thin.

For lead or brass though, yes, the flat rate boxes all the way.

Scrounger
02-11-2008, 01:40 PM
The harsh reality is that if it runs over 2 pounds, the Flat Rate Box is cheaper. That is for cross country, shorter distances might let you get as much as 3 pounds for less than $9.

floodgate
02-11-2008, 01:49 PM
jonk:

When I send "lumpy" stuff in a Flat Rate envelope, I cut two pieces of heavy cardboard about 1/2" under the full size of the packet, remove lock rings, etc., tape the parts to one of the sheets and then use a heavy stapler all around to staple the second sheet over the first to make a stiff "sandwich". That way, the hardware doesn't move around and beat its way out of the envelope. If your PO allows it, tape over the whole packet with clear tape (our PO actually encourages us to tape parcels, and the PM says there's nothing in their regs that says you can't, so long as the address box is readable).

floodgate

Scrounger
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
When I order things like dies, I expect the box to be with them. Saving a dollar or two at the risk of loss or damage, doesn't make good sense in my book.. I've shipped a lot of stuff to people here, it was all properly boxed and none of it was lost or damaged. Remember 'Penney wise, pound foolish'?

rmb721
02-12-2008, 02:10 AM
I usually use the small Priority boxes for things like dies and moulds.

For small stuff like top punches or scope ring parts, I tape them inside a cardboard envelope like cereal boxes and then put that in a regular envelope or a 6x9 yellow envelope.

I try to pack things the way I would want them sent to me.