PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on the Lyman 55 Powder Measure and powders

bedbugbilly
11-12-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm not that familiar with the Lyman 55 Powder Measure, have never used one and have a couple of questions . .

Right now, I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure inserted into my Lee "powder through" dies for reloading my pistol cartridges - primarily 38 Colt Short & Long, 38 Spl, 357 and 9mm. My primary experience is with Bulls Eye and the Lee Measure seems to do a good job for the various small loads I need to drop with that type of powder.

I recently began to load 8 X 57 Mauser - will eventually be loading 30-30 and probably 30-06 as well. I've been looking at the Lyman 55 and would like to pick up a more "vintage one" to set up for dropping powder charges for loading my rifle cartridges. I will add that I'm not loading the rifle cartridges to heavy loads but am playing with "cat sneeze" loads. For the 8mm, i've worked up a load that takes 8 gr of Red Dot that works well with the cast boolit I'm using. I would imagine that I'd eventually be dropping anywhere from 5 gr charges to possibly 12 gr charges for the different cartridges but primarily from 5 gr to 8 gr.

I've read some that the Lyman 55 is adjustable for the power drops and negates the necessity of buying bushings, etc. for different load weights and that it does a decent job.

My questions . . . I will be using such powders as 700X, Bulls Eye, Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique - possibly others - for batch loading my rifle cartridges. Will these different powders (powder types) all work well in a Lyman 55 in terms of the measure dropping accurate charges? Or, do you have to watch out for certain powder types?

I've also read some in regards to the use of a "baffle" - I'm assuming this goes in the powder reservoir (?) to keep the powder from bridging? Is it advisable to use one regardless of which type of powder you are using?

Up until now, I've been batch loading my 8mm by weighing each charge out. I'm using reduced loads (and will be in the 30/30 and 30-06 eventually) so + or - a tenth of a grain shouldn't cause a problem as the charges will be heavy enough to get the boolit out of the barrel.

For those that use a Lyman 55 - what do I need to "watch out for" in regards to powder types, dropping loads, etc.?

I also add that I know some like to use Trailboss which I know is quite "fluffy". I can't find it in my area as it usually is gone as fast as it comes in. If I were to use it, since that powder is so fluffy, I'd probably weigh the charge out as I doubt that it would drop very well in a measure like the Lyman 55?

As I said, my primary experience with a powder measure is with the Lee and let's face it, the Bulls Eye that I use is probably one of the easiest powders to use as far as flowing through a measure. The others I mentioned I'm just not sure as to how they would work?

Please excuse this if it's been asked before as I really don't want to beat a dead horse. Just trying to decide if the Lyman 55 will fit my needs as I really don't want to have to buy a bunch of different bushings, etc. like some measures require? Thanks!

35remington
11-12-2014, 08:23 PM
How well it meters a particular powder depends quite a lot on how well you select the slide combinations needed to dispense it. If you will be throwing the same charge or charges in many different calibers a measure with fixed but interchangeable rotors, especially for pistol sized charges, may be a better selection.

35remington
11-12-2014, 08:26 PM
The LEE Pro Auto Disk already comes with a bunch of fixed cavities supplied with the measure.

35remington
11-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Trailboss will meter fine if you use the larger slides. Check narrow rifle sized drop tubes for bridging in the tube. It's not the measure that's the weakness with Trailboss.....it's the drop tube and narrow rifle case mouths.

35remington
11-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Go online and peruse Lee's selection of PAD cavities and see if the amounts they dispense of the above powders meet your needs.

35remington
11-12-2014, 08:36 PM
http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/AD3398.pdf

Janoosh
11-12-2014, 08:37 PM
I can speak to the powder baffle. It goes at the bottom of powder reservoir, close to the drum.
Pro: the weight of the powder on the drum is consistent, no matter the powder type.
Con: if you always keep the powder reservoir 1/2+ full, it doesn't matter.
My RCBS powder measure has a baffle and is very accurate.
My Duo-measure has a retro fitted Mec baffle and is very accurate.
My RCBS little dandy, Pacific and B+M measures do not.....and are very accurate.
I believe in and use a baffle for ball powder and shotshell flake powder.
I dont use a baffle otherwise.
Hope this helps.

salpal48
11-12-2014, 08:48 PM
I have been using Lyman55 since the Mid 60's. I have others but These are my first choice. Before loading You have to that into consideration . Powder and slide info as was stated. Ball powder will meter easy, quick and accurate. Extruded will always meter very different. lyman does have a chart showing some of the powder and slide combo. . you might have to Interpolate for others. i just used 700x with slide #1 only . It was a little stiff to turn should have used slide 1&2
. Trial and error is your key. But the measure is Very accurate

Pepe Ray
11-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Jim;
I have, mounted on my bench,
B&M
Redding
LEE
Lyman (3)
and have used Hollywood, RCBS, & Lee Dippers
In each and every instance the quality of charges lies in the technique of the operator. In one word CONSISTENCY.

Powder baffles are a very useful addition. The only negative here is when you have only one dispenser and must change powders often.

Most complaints arise from the fact that the large kernel powders must be cut when they get caught in the edges. For the operator with a
SOFT TOUCH a jam is inevitable. This usually creates a redo or double check by weighing.

Pay attention during the learning curve and you'll have no trouble with any of them.

Good loading to you.
Pepe Ray

Iron Whittler
11-12-2014, 10:24 PM
I have used the lyman 55 since the late 60's. Powders used--- unique, red dot, h110, win231, 296, 748, 3031, 4831, 4320, 4350, plus a few others. Learning to adjust the slides does not take too long. Learn to be Consistent with handle throw and use of knocker on front of measure. Keep powder level near full. With fine ball powder, #1 slide for small chg, #1&2 for med.. For coarse tube powder, try to use all three slides together . A deep, narrow cavity will work better than a wide, shallow one. Less cutting of powder kernels. This may sound difficult, but is not as hard as it sounds. CAREFULY read instructions, Check your weight often, be consistent, relax and have fun. Big plus-- no extra parts to buy or keep up with. Still working for me.

pjames32
11-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Mine has been in use over 40 years. I keep it over 1/2 full with no powder baffles. Stick powders have to "cut". be consistent with the handle. Knock at the top and at the bottom. Mine is a keeper!

Green Frog
11-13-2014, 08:11 AM
The earliest #55s had simple slides to adjust the powder chamber, but within a couple of years Lyman added adjusting screws to make the movements more precise. Sometimes, with some powders, I can get a little frustrated trying to get the slides adjusted for that last little bit of accuracy, and management of the three different slides for optimal cavity shape for a given type of powder involves some trial and error, but once set and locked in, the #55 throws accurate charges with the best of them.

If I am changing powders and/or charges a lot however, I like to use rotors so I make known jumps without a lot of measure and adjust, trial and error set-up time. In that poll on how many measures we own, I was lumped in the category of "Has too many measures for any one man... needs help!" I end up setting up a different powder measure for about every cartridge and leaving it; that way I don't waste time adjusting!! ;)

Froggie

GP100man
11-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Get the lee pro auto & the lee rifle charge die , order an extra set of discs then taylor 1 set to your needs.

Titan is good people to deal with + they carry the micro disc set up also .

http://www.titanreloading.com/

pworley1
11-13-2014, 09:57 AM
There are pros and con with every type of measure that I use, but If I could have only one, it would be the Lyman.

Maven
11-13-2014, 10:08 AM
bbb, As you might expect, the Ly. #55 works better with some propellants, e.g., WC 860 than others, e.g., IMR 4350, IMR 5010, Bullseye. The trick is consistent operation and finding the right combination of the 3 slides for each powder you use. A notebook is very handy here. Also, Bullseye and H 110, which the #55 drops accurately, will occasionally bind, or rather get wedged between those slides. A quick disassembly, cleaning with a dry rag or soft paintbrush, and reassembly cures the problem. Btw, I never had a problem metering Clays, G-Dot, B-Dot, or Unique with that measure.

too many things
11-13-2014, 10:31 AM
if you get an older one, need to watch some of the newer nitro type powder. Don't leave in the plastic hopper it will eat it up
I have one will sell used in good shape in box

Mk42gunner
11-13-2014, 05:19 PM
I have two powder measures that I use now. An RCBS Uniflow with the large drum, and a Lyman 55 (orange) that I believe is from the 1980's.

The smallest charge that I have been able to throw consistently with the RCBS was somewhere around 4 grains of W231, (going from memory here). I was satisfied with it until I started loading the .32 S&W Long with its miniature charges of Red Dot, tha large cavity just wouldn't throw consistent enough charges for me.

About that time, I was at an auction and bought the Lyman with stand for under $20.00. It will throw 2.5 grains of Red Dot with boring consistency. I don't know how it works with extruded powders, but it works fine with flakes.

The only thing to really watch for is to make sure you don't extend either of the smaller slides over the top of the large slide when adjusting the measure. I like adjustable cavities better than fixed ones, since most of the fixed sizes don't agree with my desired weights.

Robert

bedbugbilly
11-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks all for the help and fine information - it's greatly appreciated!

As already stated, I realize "consistency" is the most important thing with any brand of measure or dipping charges. I was one of those that figured that "one measure was enough" - yea, right! :-)

The more cartridges I load and the more powders I try, the more I see the possibilities of having several (or more) set up for certain powders and cartridges.

At this point, I really need to take my Lee Perfect Powder Measure and try other powders in it besides the Bulls Eye I use for my pistol cartridges "just so I'll know" how that particular measure works with the different powders, different charges and how consistent it is.

From the results I've had with my 1907 GEW98 8mm, I've got that pretty well narrowed to the perfect cat sneeze load. Up until now, I've been dipping and weighing each charge but I know I'll be loading the 8mm in greater quantities as I shoot it more. So that is one I want a dedicated measure for. I'll keep my eyes open and try and pick up a good vintage 55 as from what I'm reading and hearing, it's not that hard to get set up once you know what you're doing. At least it gives me something to aim for.

When I first got my Lee Perfect, I spent a number of hours practicing dropping charges and weighing them to become consistent and for the small pistol charges, I now have a good feel for it and how to keep things consistent each time. I also practice dipping and working on getting consistent charges - especially with the Red Dot since that is what I'm using for the Mauser. I've gotten my system down pretty well on that as the dipped charges very rarely vary when I weight them and if they do, it's only by about a tenth of a grain.

Thank you all again for the help and information - somehow I have a feeling another powder measure or two will be in my future as well as a change in my somewhat compact loading bench to accommodate them! Thanks!

Jim

**oneshot**
11-15-2014, 08:50 PM
I've used my Lyman 55 for most of the powders you asked about. 700X is not a good metering powder for me, too much variation for my needs. RedDot does OK in the 55 but not with small charges, same for Unique. Bulleye meters like water through the 55. Never used GreenDot.

fouronesix
11-15-2014, 09:21 PM
I have 3. One, a gray frame Lyman 55 from the mid-70s. One, an older red frame Ideal 55. One, a black frame BP 55 about 10-15 years old. They are a workhorse and "jack of all trades" type measure. So, they may not be as precise as certain specialized measures for some powders/or some charges, but across the board they are very good.

I use them for all my loading. I also use them as the main dump when trickling for precision loading or higher end loads where small errors are not acceptable.

I don't know where the info comes from about the 55 not doing well with Trailboss. My gray and red 55s both drop extremely accurate loads of Trailboss! Matter of fact of all the powders I've tried through the 55, and there are more than a few, Trailboss meters the most accurately. The one powder that my 55s don't like is Unique. I don't use Unique anyway so no problem for me. Of course there are likely other powders I haven't tried that may not do so well in a 55.