PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a VFD....not

customcutter
11-12-2014, 06:23 PM
I bought a new (very old) stock ABB ACS 311-4P1-1 VFD to go on the mill I've been converting to CNC for a couple of years now.

I thought I would hire an electrician to wire it because I don't know a lot about electrical, usually just enough to get me into trouble. I contacted a friend with an electrical company, he said yes I've got an electrician that has wired a few VFD's. He came over and started wiring everything up, and I told him that I had read/heard that you shouldn't have any type of switches between the VFD and motor, and if you do definetly don't switch anything with the VFD under power. He said he had never heard of such a thing, but put the switch in low speed forward position on the mill. He finished wiring the VFD switched on the power and started programming the VFD. He could get it to run at about 15 RPM's and when he would shut it down and restart it, then it would run at around 1725 RPM's. Each time he would start/stop the mill from the VFD it would switch between RPM's of 15 or 1725. I couldn't see what he was programming into the VFD, but he finally reached over and moved the switch on the mill while power was on the VFD. This all happened on monday, I've been searching the internet, read the owners manual at least 15-20 times. Programmed it probably 30 times. All it would do since he flipped the switches is the motor would emit a high pitch whine when power was sent to the motor. I finally broke down today and called ABB tech support. He told me to get voltage readings with the motor disconnected, then reconnect the motor and get voltage and amp readings on each leg. Turns out the U2 lead is only reading .4amps, and the other 2 motor leads are reading 14amps each. I called tech support back and he said the VFD is toast, parts aren't even available for it.

I don't know if the elec toasted it, or it just happened. I guess I'll start looking on Fleabay, got the last one off of CL locally, no warranty.

thanks for letting me vent, saved the wife an ear full.

CC

bangerjim
11-12-2014, 07:37 PM
VFD's are a breeze to wire up. 3 wires......3 phase.......end of story. 1 to 1725 RPM. Almost full HP. No swithes involved. With your "sparky" putting a switch in at least one of the phases, he proably did fry it, depending on the design of the VFD.

I use new model ABB units and they are great. 220v 1ph in.........220v 3ph out. Soft start/soft stop. You switch the INPUT voltage, not the VFD (3 ph) output. At lease it has always worked for me that way.

They cost $400 or so each, not incuding the 220v 3ph motor. Buy new.....get a warranty. Check out Granger.

You can switch the phase wires of an old style rotary phase converter. Those are 100% mechanical, just spinning wire. And much more difficult to destroy. Mabe that is what he was used to working with??????? Sounds like not electronic VFD's.

Good luck on your venture into variable frequency drive technology. :drinks:

banger

customcutter
11-14-2014, 10:38 AM
I've been posting on another forum HomeShopeMachinist, for several days about the VFD problems. I finally decided to try one more thing after reading that entire thread again. I finally moved the VFD output leads from the switch directly to the motor. Now the VFD is working perfectly. Apparently the VFD didn't like something about the 2 speed reversible switch. I don't know if it has a damaged contacter or not, but now it doesn't matter.

Ken

bangerjim
11-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Excellent!

Your VFD control box should have an electronic forward/reverse button on it. The 3 wires from the box to the motor never get broken or reversed once they are wired up. Your "sparky" should have never put a switch in the 3 phase line!

The ones I use.....that is all done electronically.....forward/reverse/start/stop/infinite variable speed.

Glad you got it fixed!

banger

dragon813gt
11-14-2014, 02:47 PM
You're lucky he didn't kill the motor. It doesn't take long to kill a three phase motor w/ a loss of phase. This is why we put phase protection on our units. VFDs are simple in nature but complicated to most people. Glad things were fixed.

Cane_man
11-14-2014, 05:15 PM
glad you got it workin cc!!! when I wired my lathe vfd the hardest part was figuring out how to use the existing drum switch with the controller...

bangerjim
11-14-2014, 06:20 PM
glad you got it workin cc!!! when I wired my lathe vfd the hardest part was figuring out how to use the existing drum switch with the controller...

I just use the reversing drum switch on the SB lathe as the 220v on/off for the VFD. No matter which way I flip it, it works!!!!!!

RUN/OFF/RUN.........can't be more simpler than that.

banger

beroen
11-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Never put one on a mill but I have done about 6 well pumps large and small and never put anything in between the VFD and the load. it would only stand to reason and basic electrical theory that when dealing with variable wave forms on 3 different phases on a VFD that any interference with the direct line to the load will interfere with the VFD ability to read the load. I don't know what's going on exactly with what the VFD reads as far as backfeed from the motor but I know it's a whole lot more than current and voltage..

You should let this electrician know how you fixed it and Maybie it will encourage the prima dona to do some research.

11-24-2014, 01:30 AM
I bought a 2 hp vfd for a 1.5 hp Bridgeport mill 220 single phase in 3 phase 440 out wired it so the variable speed on the mill still functions it was so easy it was scarry total cost was about 280.00