PDA

View Full Version : heck of a deal today

Lloyd Smale
02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
My buddy Al came through for me big time today. I stopped by his buddys gunshop and he had a 280rem weatherby there that i wanted but he couldnt budge on price because of some politcs with his co owner. Al was trying to get him to deal a little but he just couldnt do it. Al called me today and said his buddy had another deal for me. He has a 7.5 in FA 454 thats like new that he would sell me for $750. It will have to go to FA to be cut to 4 5/8s but its still the deal of the century. I own many custom sixguns but have never owned a FA gun so im a little excited about this one.

dubber123
02-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Thats a great deal Lloyd, Premier or Field grade? Nice guns either way. The only gripe I had with mine, was the 4 pound trigger it came with. I had it set to 2 pounds, and what a difference.

Freedom will only go to 3 pounds, so you will have to go elsewhere to get it done. The smith that did mine told me how to do it myself, and says its very easy, no stoning required. PM me if you want to know how to do it.

I think it's 4-3/4" to the end of the ejector rod, that will have to be close enough to 4-5/8" for you. Let us know how it shoots.

Lloyd Smale
02-10-2008, 04:35 PM
its a field grade with the winewood grips. Buddy who set me up with the deal does probably the best trigger work on a single action in the country. If you had to pay him by the hour it would probably cost you 300 bucks for an action job. But im lucky in that he does my guns for nothing. As a matter of fact im the only one anymore he does them for. Every gun in the safe has a 2lb trigger. He even has worked up loads for the owner of the gun and read me off at least 10 loads that shot under an inch out of it. Dont know if it still will with the barrel lenght changed but usually if they shoot that well they still do afterward.

dubber123
02-10-2008, 05:25 PM
If it's screwed together straight, an inch at 50 yards is certainly possible. My .475 is very hard to shoot due to the recoil, but is amazingly accurate. The F/A's require no stoning to the triggers that I am aware of, just lighten the trigger return spring.

The smith that did mine will go as low as 6 ounces. The fellow on here that recommended him has his set at 10 ounces. Very easy to get a great trigger on them.

45r
02-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Congrats, you will love that revolver.I have a 7 and a half inch 454 and love it.I have gotten up to 1800 fps with 300 grain boolits and very good accuracy.Mine was made in 1988 and is very well made.I shoot mostly 300 grain RCBSGC over HS-6 and get ragged hole groups.For my deer load I use 240XTPmag J-word bullets and 30 grains Vitt-110 and get ragged hole groups.I haven't messed with the trigger because it gets too cold sometimes for super light triggers during Wolverine state gun seasons sometimes and I can shoot good with it anyway since the trigger is crisp and consistant.Mine likes the Saeco 255SWCGC also and can be pushed very fast and it has a big metplat.I've gotten very good groups with that boolit.Mine likes GC boolits the most.Sounds like you got a great deal.

Bass Ackward
02-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Wow, at that price, you might as well have a Colt cylinder made for it too.

Lloyd Smale
02-10-2008, 08:24 PM
personaly i like a 2lb trigger and dont like it much heavier or much lighter. Any lighter then that and your asking for trouble in a hunting gun.

Dennis Eugene
02-11-2008, 11:07 PM
just let me know when ya want to make 25 bucks on it ;>) Dennis Eugene