PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Primers.

The Kaiser
11-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Anyone care to comment on the primers in the picture where the firing pin strikes at 6 o'clock and not in the center? Accuracy is decent with these old eyes but I feel it could be better if the firing pin was more in the center. It's a Lone Star Rolling Block.

Thanks, Gary

Man! This getting old is not all it's cracked up to be. Here's what I meant to send.121785

Outpost75
11-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Military standards for weapon acceptance permit the primer indent to be off-center up to one half the diameter of the striker point.

Roosters
11-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Never have been much at reading tea leaves or primers but upon close inspection of the pictures of your primers they look a lot like reloading dies to me. :shock:

Granted I've been wrong before but pretty sure about this one.

gray wolf
11-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Never have been much at reading tea leaves or primers but upon close inspection of the pictures of your primers they look a lot like reloading dies to me. :shock:

After a close look i think I agree, special the one on the left.

websterz
11-12-2014, 05:01 PM
LOL I hate when that happens.

farmerjim
11-12-2014, 06:00 PM
The date on the picture is tomorrow, so they will change into primers at midnight.

Shiloh
11-12-2014, 06:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing you smartypants!! ;)
Shiloh

Shiloh
11-12-2014, 06:12 PM
You guys are too funny.

SHiloh

10mmShooter
11-13-2014, 09:09 PM
My primers don't come in a green box...ha ha ha

wv109323
11-14-2014, 08:24 PM
When accurizing the 1911 pistol the place at which the firing pin strikes the primer is somewhat a variable. This is caused because the barrel needs to be shoved all the way up in the locking lugs to obtain the needed accuracy.
In the 1911 there is no change in accuracy regardless of where the primer is struck. A few years ago this was an trend to center up the firing pin strike but I think the pistolsmiths have come to realize that it is a lost cause for the labor required.
Your pictures show a pretty extreme case of an off center strike. I don't think it will cause you an accuracy problem but may be a reliability issue with different brands of primers.
Does anything seem to be improperly fit? Is the chamber in the center of the barrel?

The Kaiser
11-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Everything seems to line up alright. I guess it's just a mental thing with me, as all my rifle's primers are hit in the center. Thanks for all, and I mean all, the replys.