PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Freedom Arms Model 83

Naphtali
02-10-2008, 02:26 PM
I think I should subtitle this query as: Stop me before I buy again!
Having downloaded the Model 83's USER MANUAL, I have a question about the firing mechanism. With the revolver lock in SAFE position, can the revolver move from SAFE to FULL-COCK directly -- that is, just thumb the hammer to full-cock and let'r rip?
The .50 Wyoming Express is identified as a proprietary cartridge.
1. What is basis brass for creating .50 WE brass?

2. Are any less proprietary cartridge chamberings available for .50 WE Model 83s via additional cylinders?
Apparently, Freedom Arms does not do Bisleys. Does any gunsmith routinely render Model 83s into Bisley configuration?
Freedom Arms has available some sort of mount for Trijicon/Docter reddot holographic sights. Has anyone taken advantage of this mount? Does the mount accept other holographic red dot sights such as Ultradot L/T?

dubber123
02-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes, from the 1/4 cock "safety right to full cock.

.500 WE is a belted case made just for the F/A. One reason I won't spend the money on a .500 WE

I believe you can get a .50 AE cylinder, I'm not sure, but the .500 JRS would be great, it's just a 500 S&W shortened to 1.4". I'm not sure F/A offers the JRS though.

The grip in the F/A is kinda a "semi Bisley", and I think works well for recoil. The hammer is obviously not Bisley style, and I don't know of any smiths converting them currently.

I don't know anything about the dot sights, someone else will have to answer that one.

45r
02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I have a 454 casull and it has all the power you will ever need and shoots great with RCBS and Saeco boolits.Mine has rubber grips and I haven't replaced them due to the recoil on heavy hunting loads.My model 83 hasn't loosened up and is very accurate.I used a weigand base to mount a ultra-dot on mine.44man said they work well and it is working great on my 454.Didn't add much weight and looks good.Just put the dot on the high shoulder spot and drop em DRT.

Naphtali
02-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Many thanks for responding so quickly and clearly.

Has Freedom Arms made a factory issued .475 Linebaugh revolver, 6.5-inch Mag-Na-Ported barrel, ebony [Micarta®??] grips? I am going to look at what I think I described correctly, one of a lot of 50? It has been fired, so no collector's value. Just want to be reassured that I'm not going to drive a couple of hundred miles for the scenery.

Whitworth
02-11-2008, 02:40 PM
BFR offers revolvers in .500 JRH..........

dubber123
02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
BFR offers revolvers in .500 JRH..........

I know, unfortunately almost as much as a F/A. It's currently a BFR custom shop only item. If it makes regular production for the usual BFR price, I know where one will go.[smilie=1:

dubber123
02-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Many thanks for responding so quickly and clearly.

Has Freedom Arms made a factory issued .475 Linebaugh revolver, 6.5-inch Mag-Na-Ported barrel, ebony [Micarta®??] grips? I am going to look at what I think I described correctly, one of a lot of 50? It has been fired, so no collector's value. Just want to be reassured that I'm not going to drive a couple of hundred miles for the scenery.

Other than an extra 1/2" of barrel, (I believe 6" is a stocking length, 6-1/2" is special order), every thing else sounds like it's right off their price sheet. The Magna-port is extra, as are the Ebony Micarta grips, but they are regular options.

I have handled a 6", and thats one of the best balancing guns I have held. I love my 4-3/4", but if I ever spring for another, it will be a 6".

freedom475
02-11-2008, 04:54 PM
The 6" 83 475Linebaugh IMO cannot be improved on. I've heard from several people that the 4 3/4" is barrel "whipy" so a mag'na port might be helpful in that length. My experiance is to stay completely AwaY from the muzzle brakes on sixguns.....They are deafning, and mostly just change direction of felt recoil, and usually not in a good way.

The 6" is very easy to handle, is perfectly balanced, and recoil is smooth and even, it just climbs and rolls at a very controlable rate. The best part is it's not that loud when compared to the 44mag or the mind numbing blast of the 454casull.

The black Micarta grips are the most durable grip available. Heard of a FA revolver being used as a hammer to drive a knife through an elk pelvis.....the grips were chiped and bruised but never broken....the grips are still in use today!

Lloyd Smale
02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I agree with freedom. I shoot some powerful handguns. Even 4 inch 500 linebaughs and feel that porting has no place on any handgun. The increased muzzle blast and dirt and gasses flying in your face more then make up for any tiny bit of muzzle flip they eliminate.

Naphtali
02-11-2008, 05:07 PM
So 83/475/6.5/Premier/Mag-Na, with dies, holster, and a few minor additions @ $1100.00 delivered is one I should stay away from?

freedom475
02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
So 83/475/6.5/Premier/Mag-Na, with dies, holster, and a few minor additions @ $1100.00 delivered is one I should stay away from?

Boy that's a hard one:Fire:........Dealer cost of the stock Premier 83 is just short of $2000 after delivery....and it's hard to find a dealer that won't mark it up a couple hundy........But man those ports are a total nuisance!

I say buy it!....send it to FA and have the ports cut off and the sight moved back. You'll still be in it less than a new one and you will have all the extras

dubber123
02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Boy that's a hard one:Fire:........Dealer cost of the stock Premier 83 is just short of $2000 after delivery....and it's hard to find a dealer that won't mark it up a couple hundy........But man those ports are a total nuisance!

I say buy it!....send it to FA and have the ports cut off and the sight moved back. You'll still be in it less than a new one and you will have all the extras

I agree, maybe the ports won't bother you. They will help keep the front sight black at least. $1,100 is a pretty good deal, especially with the extras. A F/A holster is over $100 by it self.

BTW, I consider the .475 very flexible and easy to load for. You won't make a .22 out of it on the low end, but comfortable loads are easy, as well as real thumpers. Good luck.

Rufus McGoofus
02-11-2008, 07:00 PM
If there are ANY MORE FA 83s out there for $1100 I'd sure like to know about them!!

dubber123
02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
If there are ANY MORE FA 83s out there for $1100 I'd sure like to know about them!!

Probably don't want to hear about the one Lloyd just bought for $750 then do you?[smilie=1:

doghawg
02-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I've read a lot of negative comments on porting. Here's a pair of .454's, the 5 1/2" (Yes, 5 1/2") is ported and the the 7 1/2" isn't. Perceived recoil with the same loads is considerably less with the 5 1/2". If I had to pick a number out of thin air I'd say 30%. Noise? Yeah, it barks but so does the other one. I probably wouldn't spring for porting on a new gun (this one had 20 rounds fired through it) but neither would I avoid buying one because it was ported. FWIW

dubber123
02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
I LIKE that front sight on the 7-1/2", is that a factory available front blade?

Naphtali
02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
If there are ANY MORE FA 83s out there for $1100 I'd sure like to know about them!! If I do not choose to buy, I'll PM you with the name and telephone number of the seller. Fairer than that I cannot be.

doghawg
02-12-2008, 07:34 PM
I LIKE that front sight on the 7-1/2", is that a factory available front blade?

That's one of Ken O'Neils front sight blades. That's the most accurate iron sighted gun I own...subject to the limitations of these aging eyes.

Naphtali
02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
What plain-base WFN .475 Linebaugh bullet mold (380-420 grains) is best suited for Model 83 cylinder length? I believe Freedom Arms calls out a maximum of .395-inch nose for .475 Linebaugh bullets.

yarro
02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
You can sometime find someone walking around the gun show with one in the 1200-1300 dollar range who can't take the recoil, but held onto it a long time and feel that they are getting their money back out of it. Dealer seem to offer less than a grand for them so they feel good about selling it to you. A friend has four different ones that he has picked up at various Phoenix shows over the last three years. I think that 3 are .454 and one is a .475. To be honest, I don't like shooting them as they are on the uncomfortable side for me personally.

-Yarro

Naphtali
02-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I bought the Model 83. There was so much accompanying the .475 I'm embarrassed. There are two buckets of bullets neither seller nor I can identify. I posted a query with graphics and dimensions on Mold Design Forum.
A Freedom Leather right-handed holster was included. I'm left-handed, so I'll be selling it. But there is a problem. Freedom Arms doesn't show this holster. It is a high-ride thumb break, plugged for muzzle; very heavy leather with unlined (rough) interior.

I would love to have it left-handed, but I don't know what it is or what it costs.

Merc41
02-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Here is my Model 83 in .475 Linebaugh 4 3/4 inch barrel.

http://members.verizon.net/~vze32nzb/475line2.jpg

Naphtali
02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Where can I obtain disassembly instructions for the Model 83s?