PDA

View Full Version : Help with my primers.

The Kaiser
11-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Anyone care to comment on how the firing pin is striking a 6 o'clock and not in the center? My accuracy is decent for these old eyes, but I feel it could be better if the primers were hit more in the center. It's a Lone Star Rolling Block.

Thanks, Gary

dondiego
11-12-2014, 01:58 PM
If they all go bang with one pull of the trigger you should be OK. Your firing pin is off center in the rifle's breech block. Might be a difficult fix.

Scharfschuetze
11-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Dondiego is right and you're probably going to have to live with it. Not really all that unusual. I have a 1911 45 Auto with the same issue, but it goes bang every time and has for 40 some years. If you have miss fires due to the issue, at least you'll know if your're flinching. :)

krallstar
11-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Has this gun always done this.

gray wolf
11-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Yes way off center and some are flowing back a little into the firing pin hole.
NORMAL-- no it's not normal, is it OK ? only if it works for you and you want to live with it.

Fix = re-boring the firing pin hole a little bigger and installing a bushing with the properly centered hole.

skeet1
11-12-2014, 05:48 PM
The Kaiser (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?7027-The-Kaiser)
I think that if you are not having faulty ignition it is fine. By going through all the work and expense of altering the bolt / breech block so that it hits directly in the center, you probably wont be able to tell the difference in the accuracy of the rifle. I would just shoot it and enjoy it.

Ken

Shiloh
11-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Dondiego is right and you're probably going to have to live with it. Not really all that unusual. I have a 1911 45 Auto with the same issue, but it goes bang every time and has for 40 some years. If you have miss fires due to the issue, at least you'll know if your're flinching. :)

Mine does the same. Off-center primer strikes. Doesn't hurt accuracy though.

Shiloh

plainsman456
11-12-2014, 07:14 PM
The only time off center strikes are bad ,is when the thing does not go bang.

They look good to me i would go shoot it.

country gent
11-12-2014, 07:39 PM
May be several reasons for this issue. The block is traveling a few degrees to far forward thus putting the firing pin on a downward angle. Firing pin hole may be worn and allowing the firing pin to set lower in the block. The primers flowing back is also a sighn of an over sized firing pin hole firing pin.

jonp
11-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Are you looking for something to blame in missing?:bigsmyl2: I have had several firearms not hit dead center and did not notice a difference in either reliability or accuracy