PDA

View Full Version : Success in MN (w of Rushford)

badge176
11-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Had a chance to hunt in SE MN where the 'buck only' or 'lottery for doe tag' restrictions are not in effect this year ('Hunter's choice' in zone 345= either sex). We've had a pair of consecutive Hard winters (Deep snow and Freaking Cold) so DNR altered regs 'to support herd recovery'. Southern 1/2 of this state is 'Slug zone' while Northern 1/2 is Rifle zone, and everything I had loaded with my Cast Boolits, home-brewed lube (Ben's Red of course), and Al GCs was in a rifle so it was Factory fodder for the NEF 12g single shot...

Saturday afternoon I made the acquaintance of a nice Doe at about 60 yards, low lung/ diaphragm shot with a second to anchor her (no meat loss!). The next day at about 1pm a very nice 8-10 Pt buck snuck past in the thicket with no shot presenting itself. A change of position (seated in the leaves on a seep sloop overlooking a creek) lead to a curious 5 Pt coming down the hill likely looking for the source of the smell (deer in estrus scent sprayed as high as could reach on the tree next to me). When he took the cut-back path to my left I put a slug through both lungs and he made it about 50 yards before he piled up. With both of our tags filled we made it home Sunday night before our first big snow storm...

bnelson06
11-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Didn't get out slug hunting (I bow hunt) but from the looks of it around here the harvest is low. Not many tags getting filled.

Dan Cash
11-12-2014, 08:06 AM
There either more deer than believed in that area or else you are super hunters to fill tags so quickly. Good looking deer country and good looking deer. Congratulations.

badge176
11-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Adjacent zone 346(?) is one of less than a handful of MN zones offering antlerless 'management' bonus tags... In this case 'close' was good enough. Still working each evening after work with knives and the grinder to get these put up...

buddy has suggested he invest in the tech to make sausage- I'm having dreams of Venison Brautwurst pressure canned in flat beer (with chopped onions)! Pop a lid, drain and sear in pan or on grill!

badge176
11-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Dan Cash- this season has marked the end of a two year dry spell for my deer hunting. About time my effort combined with a little Luck!

CastingFool
11-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Congrats on filling your tags! Fresh venison is always good!

35 shooter
11-13-2014, 01:48 AM
Congrats on a great hunt and with good results. Looks like quite a bit of meat on that buck and the doe as well.

white eagle
11-13-2014, 07:33 AM
way to go nice to get something after not being able to for awhile
I have been bow hunting all season and have yet to see a deer much less have a chance to shoot one

badge176
11-15-2014, 11:11 PM
So I joined my other hunting buddy, Bob, up at his 20 acre parcel up by Becker, MN (zone 223) to help him fill his tag (hunter's choice, shotgun slugs only). 18 inches of fluffy snow from this past week and 23 degrees with very little wind... Sat a tree stand from noon till 4:25 when a nice-bodied fork-horn came strolling up the trail- he was straight face on to me till about 15 yards out when he turned a shoulder allowing me a better percentage shot. At the BOOM he was bounding away but I could see the entrance hole just behind his onside shoulder above midline. Waited 20 minutes and found him down at the edge of the swampy spot 70 yards away from the stand. There was gobs of hair and a spray of blood at the shot spot, but barely any blood along his foot trail! Glad we had all that snow to track in, and it made him easier to drag too!

Bob hadn't seen anything but he's happy to have meat hanging.

Bob's tag is filled and His wife is excited to get to cooking venison for the family...

TXGunNut
11-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Good job, those MN deer have a good bit more meat on their bones than most of our TX deer.