PDA

View Full Version : SKS rifles

Denver
02-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Is there one or more of the various SKS carbines that is better built/better quality than others? I read somewhere they are better suited for use with CBs because of the larger gas ports that are less prone to fouling with boolit lube. ??

bc3660
02-10-2008, 03:44 PM
The eastern europen and russian ones are better than the chinees ones IMHO. :castmine:

NSP64
02-10-2008, 03:54 PM
just bought a yugo sks with the built in grenade launcher and gas cut off switch.shot it today with some com-bloc ammo at 25yrds over a chrono. with the gas port blocked (launch grenade) velocity averaged 50fps faster. 5 shot groups with port open(semi-auto) groups aver. 2.25", closed (single shot) groups shrunk to 1.125".
:drinks:
Not bad with the wind at 90 deg @ 16 mph( it was cold)

Maven
02-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Denver, The Yugoslavian-made SKS was built to absorb the higher pressure "as issued" military ammo that the Yugoslavian army favored. Anecdotal evidence also suggests they are among the most accurate SKS variants if the bore is in excellent condition. The bad news is that owing to the frosty relationship between the former USSR and Yugoslavia and the lack of native chromium, Yugo. SKS's do not have chromed bores. To make matters a bit worse, the military ammo often used corrosive primers. By way of contrast, the Chinese Type 56 has a chromed bore and the one I have (purchased new) is accurate: 2 moa or smaller @ 50yds. with an "as issued" rifle. Btw, I've been using CB's in it since 1993 and never had a problem with the gas port clogging.

robertbank
02-10-2008, 04:08 PM
If you can find a Sino Soviet they seem to have the best reputation of the Chinese produced guns. The Chinese early guns had threaded barrels vs pinned ones of later production. We still get the Chinese newer versions and a couple of importers are bringing in some Russian rifles in March.there are some excellent sites on the net that deal with the SKS. Here is one that sets out the differences.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm.BAK

I have limited experience with my SKS which will soon be rectified with warmer weather on the way. Personally I think they are excellent little carbines and make great "Ranch Rifles". Guys up here use them as deer rifles. Friend nailed a 400 lb. Black Bear that had his eyes on his chicken coup. Five rds in his head sent him to the happy hunting grounds.

Take Care

Bob

35 Whelen
02-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I didn't own an SKS for years. The first ones I saw were Chinese and in my opinion, they oozed "cheap". They felt cheap, they looked cheap... everything metal was stamped. They reminded me of a semi-automatic Daisy Red Rider. Plus, I didn't care for the fact that they were so short in length. Off and on I fought the urge to buy one because they were so inexpensive, but just never did.
Enter the Yugo 59/66 SKS. Now there's a rifle. Long, with some heft to it. And looked like it was built to last. Long story short, I wound up buying three. They're really good rifles. Mine shoot very well (see below)and I have had some groups at 100 yds. in the 2" range @ 100 yds.(below) with factory ammunition. Granted, I did bed the rifle and install a receiver sight, but it's still a fine weapon.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/YugoSKSWolfAmmoGroups2Red.jpg

35W

robertbank
02-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Don't know what you guys got for Chinese SKS's. The early ones were all machined parts and threaded barrels.
Factory 26 guns are known to be very good examples. As time moved on and production demands increased due to the fact they were supplying North Vietnam with rifles among other things, they gradually moved to pinned barrels and stamped parts. All of which doesn't seem to hurt the way the guns perform according to those up here who have shot both. Mine seems to be an early post Sino-Soviet version with machined parts and threaded barrel but with a spike bayonet.

I have my name on one of the Russian guns one of the sporting good shops is importing and will report on how it shoots when I get my hands on it. They Yugos are great SKS guns as well. Sounds like yours is a shooter.

Take Care

Bob

ps How long is your barrel on your Yugo. Don't measure the flash surpessor or granade launcher if your gun is so equiped?

NSP64
02-10-2008, 08:43 PM
24" chamber opening to end of grenade adaptor, subtract 2.09" from top of adaptor to top of barrel. bore slugs .312 to grooves. looks never fired(only dropped once):drinks:

robertbank
02-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Same length as my Chinese. They also made some "Paratrooper" models for export. The link I posted above has examples of them.

Take Care

Bob

Denver
02-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks all for the info, and the link to Yooper Johns website. Lotsa good info there.
I've got a Ruger 77 in 7.62X39 that is a great CB shooter, and thought a semi in that cal might be fun with CB loads also. There's a couple manufacturers offering synthetic stocks for SKs that would dress them up nicely. Does anyone make a mount that would put a Red Dot scope ahead of the action?

Bret4207
02-11-2008, 06:44 AM
I was not a fan of the SKS series rifles. I ended up buying one when I realized I needed a rifle for work that did'nt cost an arm and a leg (AR type) and wold be handy and with enough power to do police work. I ended up with a YugoSKS. First outing with Wolf FMJ ammo got me groups under 2", and I'm half blind. I actually LIKE the clubby little thing. Not a bad rifle at all IMHO.

swabbie
02-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm tryin to drum up interest for a 6 cavity 155 gr for those(not you old timers) who want to cast for their AK's and SKS's.My Norinco has the receiver sight also and it's great.
got lots of brass,bullets are hard to find and expensive.I don't think supplies will get any better.

corvette8n
02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I had a Chinese one, parts would fall off as I shot it, sold it.
I then bought a Romanian parts fell of whan I shook it, back to SOG for that one.
Got a genunie Russian 1954 dated SKS fom a fellow CRUFFLER, what a differance on this one solid feel, great looking stock. It a keeper, shot well have yet to try cast in it, with surplus ammo so cheap. I don't know about you area but around here Geninue Russian SKS at gun shows usually go for about $100.00 more than the other flavors.

robertbank
02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Russian SKS go for a premium up here as well mainly due to the fact they are much older production. Russian guns have not been made since '55. Nothing wrong with the Chinese variants we get up here though. You folks haven't got new SKS imports from China since Clinton's ban which may account for the poor specimens you have seen. We still see NIB Cinese variants. They go for around $200. or less. Demand seems to build then wane as guys go from gun to gun.

Take Care

Bob

KYCaster
02-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Denver: B Square makes a no-gunsmithing mount that clamps on the gas tube in front of the upper hand guard. Works fine for sighting, but makes it more difficult to remove the gas system for cleaning.

Jerry

robertbank
02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Here is an article you might find of use when considering a scope mount.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/choatesksscope/index.asp

Take Care

Bob

trickyasafox
02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I have a pair of yugos. a m59 and a m59/66.

great fun and a reliable little rifle.

Bret what did they let you use an SKS for at work?

dubber123
02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I have a pair of yugos. a m59 and a m59/66.

great fun and a reliable little rifle.

Bret what did they let you use an SKS for at work?

For crooks of course..[smilie=1:

robertbank
02-12-2008, 08:56 PM
"Bret what did they let you use an SKS for at work"

I am going to go out on the limb here and guess he uses it to protect himself when it is necessary to reach out touch someone at a distance.

Sorry I couldn't help myself. Bret is a Police Officer in New York, a State Trooper of some renown. Known Internationally as an all right guy.

Take

Denver
02-12-2008, 11:28 PM

Take Care

Bob

More good info. Thanks again.

:drinks:

trickyasafox
02-12-2008, 11:40 PM
I figured it was for police work, but i didn't think the troopers would give you the freedom of picking your own rifle for your car :/

sorry for being silly :)

Ghugly
02-14-2008, 07:38 PM

Take Care

Bob

I think they are a little unfair concerning the cheap, no gunsmithing, reciever cover mount. I've been quite pleased with mine. I can ring the 400 yard gong 10 times out of 10 using cheap Wolf ammo. The goofy thing shoots better than I can. An SKS is just about too much fun.

buckshot&brass
02-22-2008, 01:10 AM
I like the new stock Tapco sells.my sks shoots fine I just never liked the looks.The new stock really polishes a turd in my opinion.

robertbank
02-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I am looking at the receiver mounted scope and base for my gun. Eyes are not the greatest at 100 yards and for $70 odd bucks for a 4X scope and mounts it is a deal one can't really pass on. Suspect the scope isn't much but if it improves my performance likely worth it.

Take Care

Bob