PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood reloading primer stems

Tracvision
11-11-2014, 04:06 PM
I have at least 6 different size Hollywood Primer stems. Can anyone help me sort out which press these associate with?

Harold

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

LUBEDUDE
11-11-2014, 09:42 PM
In my experience speaking in general terms; the 3 inch and 3 1/2 posts are best for the Seniors and Senior Turrets.

The 4 inch + posts work best for the Universal Model B/Model 2 Deluxe/Model 3.

4 inch is the minimum for the Universals, Except for the Model A, it requires a 6 inch post.

And Basically the 6 inch posts seem to work in most if not all Universals.

As to why some are 3 1/2, 4 1/2, and other odd sizes, I don't know why, but there are different primer heads which may be part of the reason.

Kevin Rohrer
11-12-2014, 09:30 PM
I just wonder if the largest one was for the Super Turret.

Tracvision
11-12-2014, 10:05 PM
I just wonder if the largest one was for the Super Turret.

My Super Turret only requires a 3" primer stem.

Tracvision
11-12-2014, 10:07 PM
In my experience speaking in general terms; the 3 inch and 3 1/2 posts are best for the Seniors and Senior Turrets.

The 4 inch + posts work best for the Universal Model B/Model 2 Deluxe/Model 3.

4 inch is the minimum for the Universals, Except for the Model A, it requires a 6 inch post.

And Basically the 6 inch posts seem to work in most if not all Universals.

As to why some are 3 1/2, 4 1/2, and other odd sizes, I don't know why, but there are different primer heads which may be part of the reason.

Thanks Lube, Makes sense.

LUBEDUDE
11-13-2014, 12:33 AM
My Super Turret only requires a 3" primer stem.

I'm surprised that the 3 " will reach far enough to go through the shellholders and actually prime.

I never could get one to work on my Univerals. However, I never bothered to try less than a 4 " with my Super Turret.

I'll have a go at it.

Tracvision
11-13-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm surprised that the 3 " will reach far enough to go through the shellholders and actually prime.

I never could get one to work on my Univerals. However, I never bothered to try less than a 4 " with my Super Turret.

I'll have a go at it.

Lube, Do we measure from the base of the primer stem where it seats on the turret, or do we measure to the bottom of the threads. From the base of the primer stem to the very top of the shell holder (stacked on a HW Universal adapter) Is about 3-3/4". My super came with 4 1/2" primer stems and they protrude quite a bit.

LUBEDUDE
11-13-2014, 04:32 PM
I just try to keep it simple and measure the full length while off of the press, i.e., end to end.

Kevin Rohrer
11-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Based on period photos of the different size presses, I am guessing Mr. Cochran designed a particular length primer arm for each size press. That is why I say that the largest one was probably for the Super Turret, which is the largest press he made.

Tracvision
11-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Based on period photos of the different size presses, I am guessing Mr. Cochran designed a particular length primer arm for each size press. That is why I say that the largest one was probably for the Super Turret, which is the largest press he made.

Mr. Corcoran also bought the rights to, and later, manufactured the Universal Presses. They do require a longer stem. I see your point, but the location of the stem and the overall throw probably has more to do with it. The universals prime differently than the Seniors and the Super. I am going to try to scale some older adds to get a better idea.

LUBEDUDE
11-14-2014, 01:10 AM

One thing to keep in mind, there have been a lot of 6 inch stems sold on eBay. And yet, very few Super Turrets listed - much less even known about!