PDA

View Full Version : Best/ Most user friendly hand held neck turner

waco
11-11-2014, 11:20 AM
I had asked before for your thoughts on the Forster neck turner that attaches to your case trimmer.

What are your opinions on what is the best hand held neck turner?
I'm looking at the RCBS and the Forster. Is there another I'm missing?
What has been your experience with these products?
I'm not really looking to do volume, maybe 20-40 at a time.

s mac
11-11-2014, 03:15 PM
The only one I've ever used is my K&M, acquired it used and I'm very pleased with it's performance. I only do 5 or 10 at a sitting, my hand gets tired but in a few days you have done several.
I was told by a friend whose opinion I value that they are the best.

r1kk1
11-11-2014, 07:13 PM
K&M with cordless screwdriver. Works well and not tiring as turning by hand. Love the tool!

take care

r1kk1

EDG
11-11-2014, 11:40 PM
I have 5 hand turners - just a turner junkie when I find them cheap.

1 Original Marquart - one of the grandfathers of this type
2 Home made Marquarts
1 K&M
1 made by Forest Pindell of Palmisano Pindell Cartridge fame (6mm PPC)

The K&M is the easiest to make fine adjustments with
The all work pretty much the same. With a little bit of persistence they can all be adjusted to suit. You may have to turn 3 or 4 cases to get it just right.

The wide 1/2" bit on the Pindell gives the best finish.
The home made Marquarts were made by a tool maker who also ground the tool bits. They are easier to sharpen than most of the others.

If I was going to turn a lot of necks of a lot of different cartridges I would get a spare Forster trimmer and install a neck turner on it. This turner is easy to adjust and cuts fairly smooth. The in feed cam allows you to control the rate of feed.

For high precision bench rest accuracy you might want 1 or 2 turners per rifle.
For my old 6X47 bench rest rifle I turn .222 Rem mag brass after it has been opened to 6mm.
I rough turn with one of the Marquarts and finish turn with another Marquart. Those 2 turners are set now and will never be adjusted again. I always know what neck thickness I will get.

I think there are 4 or 5 new turners I have never used that have come on the market since I bought my stuff over a span of 30 years. I cannot afford to try them all or I would.

GabbyM
11-12-2014, 12:29 AM
All I have or have is the old style Sinclair. Nothing fancy on the cutter blade adjustment. just a set screw to push the cutter out then a lock screw. Have a good pin micrometer to set wall thickness. In the last ten years or so several of the big companies have come out with simple turners for less money. More to it than the turner. You've the neck expander dies and mandrels. All need to be good.

Moonie
11-12-2014, 10:33 AM
K&M here, with cordless drill.

Big Boomer
11-15-2014, 08:24 PM
I am very fond of the Forster ... and I have 3. While slow in the non-motorized mode, they are extremely accurate. For rifles, I trim to length, uniform case necks by outside turning or inside reaming. Very handy.
Big Boomer