PDA

View Full Version : Non-stick surface for Airsoft BB Dry Tumble

NavyVet1959
11-11-2014, 04:40 AM
Well, I have tried a couple of materials while experimenting with the Airsoft BB Dry Tumble method of powder coating and some worked better than others.

1. Regular aluminum foil -- It sticks VERY well and you end up with a very thin aluminum disk on the bottom of the bullet. Removing the bullets from the foil results in it tearing and you seldom get a bullet without at least a moderate amount of aluminum foil on the base of the bullet.

2. Copier paper -- It sticks very well and the paper ends up getting toasted. It's pretty easy to remove the excess paper except for the part that is stuck on the base of the bullet. If you rub the bullets between your hands or tumble them in a container, the excess paper flakes off and the paper that is bonded to the powder coating stay there.

3. Cedar board -- Due to the rough texture of the cedar, it doesn't stick much. You get a couple of slivers of wood that stay attached to the base of the bullet, but nothing that won't either come off or would affect the bullet appreciably. The major problem that I found with this method is that the coating did not bond as well to the bullet since when you run the bullet through the sizer, some of the powder coating comes off. You can also scratch it off sometimes with a fingernail. Maybe the moisture in the wood is affecting the temperature? I tired it three times this way and was not satisfied with any of the attempts.

4. Non-stick aluminum foil -- I used the Wal-mart generic brand of non-stick aluminum foil and it definitely worked better than regular aluminum foil, but over an entire tray of bullets, I would get three tear throughs. I tried both sides of the foil and they both seemed to have the same degree of non-stickiness.

5. Beer can aluminum -- Yeah, I know this sounds strange, but since I was drinking beer and had a few empties starting to accumulate, I decided to give it a try. I was not happy with the non-stick aluminum foil since it seemed so thin that I had to be careful to keep it from tearing a hole when I was removing the bullets from it. I cut the top and bottom off the can, split the side, and then flattened it out. The effort to take the bullets off the beer can aluminum was a lot less than with the non-stick aluminum foil. I definitely did not need to worry about tearing the beer can aluminum while removing the bullets though. The only problem for some people though might be that when you pop the bullets off the aluminum, a good portion (sometimes all) of the powder coating on the base of the bullet stays with the aluminum instead of staying with the lead. I'm using the inner portion of the beer can oriented up.

nagantguy
11-11-2014, 07:12 AM
I used aluminum flashing there is a little sticking but nothing is stuck to boolit when ya take em off.

Beagle333
11-11-2014, 08:42 AM
I like to see experimentation in this dynamic area of coatings. I have not found anything yet that beats the original NSAF yet though.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reynolds-Wrap-Non-Stick-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Foil-35-sf/11027100

I can easily get half a dozen or so bakes from a sheet. I don't experience tearing with mine using DT. I do replace DT foil when it gets kinda dirty/spotted up... but it's only about a dime per sheet, ($3± for 35 square feet) and at 80 boolits per sheet.... it's not one of my higher expense concerns. :D

I replace my sheet each time after ESPC gun spraying. Some folks get 3-4 uses, but I like a fresh one when spraying.

But when I use a nail board for HPs, it lasts practically forever, since the boolits don't touch it. And most of my molds are HPs.:cool:

brtelec
11-11-2014, 10:48 AM
I use Reynolds non-stick also and get similar results. I can get 6 to 7 bakes easily from one sheet.

hanleyfan
11-11-2014, 12:29 PM
I found that the best surface yet is those silicone baking pans, I had 3 old ones I had been using for pan lubing and was not using anymore so I cut the bottoms out and used them in the bottoms of the metal pans that I bake boolits in and they work great, the boolits after baking just pop off quite easily and you don't have to replace them after a few bakes. any powder that does bake on them can be taken off quite easily. I have been using mine for 6 months and they are still in good shape.

rsrocket1
11-12-2014, 01:47 AM
Parchment paper works great. Powder does not stick to it, 400 degree oven darkens it just a little and I've gotten about 8-10 bakings off of a single sheet before it gets really dark and brittle. Excess paint just turns into little balls and does not seem to build up. It's expensive, but it doesn't cost me anything because I simply raid the kitchen and no one misses just a "small" strip of paper :)

oldlincoln
11-12-2014, 02:27 AM
Has anyone used a silicone baking pad like a Sil-Pat ?

Whizzer
11-12-2014, 02:29 AM
Parchment paper is available at our local WalMarts. It is superior to non stick aluminum foil in my experience. (Significantly superior...near zero sticking.)

NavyVet1959
11-12-2014, 02:39 AM
Parchment paper is available at our local WalMarts. It is superior to non stick aluminum foil in my experience. (Significantly superior...near zero sticking.)

But beer can aluminum is FREE since I'm drinking beer when I'm powdercoating, casting, or reloading anyway. :)

TheDoctor
11-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Parchment paper is less work, works better than anything I have found for tumbling, and is easily cut to size for your tray/pan. And you can use it for cookies too...

1911KY
11-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Parchment paper is less work, works better than anything I have found for tumbling, and is easily cut to size for your tray/pan. And you can use it for cookies too...

Been using it from the get go...yet to have a bullet stick to it!