PDA

View Full Version : CVA Hunter

deerslayer303
11-11-2014, 02:13 AM
I picked up one of these at Academy in .243. I have to say for 179.00 I'm impressed. It is every bit as robust as the H&R Handi Rifle (Only synthetic stocks on the CVA's though). The trigger breaks very nice with no creep. And fit and finish is pretty good. And I absolutely love the one piece scope mount. For the price point I don't think it can be beat. The only thing I don't like is after you fire it the breach is a little stubborn to open. But I'll take it apart and do a little polishing. The recoil pad on the thing is really nice. And its so dang handy its REALLY hard to not carry it to the woods. I put a nice Nikon Buck masters 3-9x40 on it (which Natchez has them on closeout for 139.00 bucks right now, since Nikon discontinued the Buck masters line and upgraded the pro staff). I zeroed it using the cheap Monarch / PPU 100 gr. soft points. Which printed a 2.5" group at exactly 100 yards. I will sort out which ammo it likes best. Love the little thing. In fact I like it so much I'm gonna pick up another in 44mag. IMO, CVA did a fine job on the little rifles. Anyone else have one of CVA's best kept secrets? I literally found out about them only a few days before I bought one. I always thought CVA only made muzzle loaders, so I never paid much attention to them. __________________
"You're so drunk you cant hit nothin, In fact you're probably seeing double"...."I have TWO GUNS one for each of ya"

dougader
11-11-2014, 03:16 AM
I've been looking at them, but haven't shot one before. Thanks for the report. Was wondering if the little 243 would be a good candidate for a rebore to 358 Win...

Ben
11-11-2014, 08:21 AM
I've been looking at them, but haven't shot one before. Thanks for the report. Was wondering if the little 243 would be a good candidate for a rebore to 358 Win...

I have wondered the same thing ?

jaysouth
11-17-2014, 10:37 PM
This is a company that has to get it's act together. They make great single shot center fire rifles but have an acute distribution problem. Their Hunter line is superior in every aspect compared to H&R handis and their $600 Apex as good as Ruger #1. However their problem is distribution and availability of calibers. If they made their Hunter line in a wider variety of calibers, they could put Handi out of business. Until very recently the only place you could find on was Academy. However they are now available at Buds in very limited calibers. The Apex has interchangable barrels that maintain the gun's accuracy from barrel to barrel. But there is a problem with selection and availability.

As soon as I locate a supply of .35 Rem brass, I am going to buy a Hunter or Scout model in that caliber from Buds. Or buy one in that caliber and have it reamed to .356/.358 Win. Too many choices, too little time and money.

Jedman
11-18-2014, 08:30 PM
I bought a CVA Scout 2 years ago in 243 Win. I like just about everything about it better than handis and I own a dozen or more of them. My Scout ( same as the Hunter ) is very accurate, under MOA with handloads, light and handy, I have a Savage Axis in 243 and the CVA will out shoot it ! I would say a lot to like.

Jedman

Four-Sixty
11-19-2014, 08:09 PM
I've been somewhat enamoured with the Handi, until today.

I picked up a 35 Rem with some type of stainless finish. The barrel looks very sharp. The hammer spur is more sleek. And, the barrel release looks so much more classy. It looks like CVA could easily step it up over the next year and beat the Handi handily in the market while Remington makes the move. I'd say Remington has blown it again.

Four-Sixty
11-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Oh, the model I found was the only one the store got. So, I bought the display model. It came with the scope mount and was $249.99. Salesman said they were made/owned by Smith & Wesson now.