PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Piggin'

ejcrist
11-10-2014, 09:27 PM
First hog with a handgun (Ruger Bisley BH 45 Colt w/45-270-SAA). The boolit was cast with straight wheel weights and loaded over 7.5 grains of Unique. I found out the hard way the load is great for silhouettes but needs to be pushed a bit faster for hogs. I suddenly realized why people have a "hunting" load and a "target" load. I always figured they were one in the same since placement is key but I guess you need great accuracy of course, but only with sufficient velocity for hunting. I used four rounds to take him out. The first three were solid hits in the vitals but didn't even make him flinch so I made sure to put the last one right at the base of his noggin from above. The last one did the trick. I'm now working up a load that I want going at least 1,100 fps. I have a whole new respect for hogs since I didn't think too many animals could take hits from a 45 even if not traveling supersonic, but apparently this hog didn't get the memo. I'll be better prepared next time.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Pass throughs?

geargnasher
11-10-2014, 10:11 PM
That would be my guess. They're like deer, shoot them clear through the vitals with a slow, non-expanding bullet and they don't know they're dead until they run a hundred yards and pass out from the blood loss. If you want DRT, a 7mm Remington Magnum with a good, tough, expanding bullet through the shoulders does the trick.

Gear

ejcrist
11-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Yep. Three entered between the shoulder blades and exited out the front part of the chest, and one through the back of the head and out the base of the jaw. Note: There was one other hit in the but-tocks but I'm not telling anyone about that one.

Wolfer
11-10-2014, 10:14 PM
When I first got my new vaquero in 45 colt I intended my target load to be my hunting load.
settled on the lee 255 RF pushed by 8.8 gr of unique for a velocity of just under 1000 fps. To date this is still my most accurate load.
After shooting a few deer and a coyote I decided I'd like a little more. I went with the 452-424 and had Eric put a cup hollow point in one cavity.
loaded with 10 gr of unique it goes just short of 1100 fps. I've shot several deer and one coyote with this load.
I get bigger exit holes and a slightly better blood trail but distance traveled after the shot is about the same. Usually 50 yds or less.
Oddly though they could usually go a lot farther if they would lay out and run like they often will when rifle shot.
Its common to see them stop out aways and sniff the wound, mill around a bit and fall over. Much like bow shot.

Ive thought several times that it's good that they can't return fire. I believe they would certainly be able to.
Woody

geargnasher
11-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Oh, they CAN and WILL return fire, that's what makes ground-level stalking so, umm, interesting. NEVER hunt pigs with a single-shot unless you are shooting from a safe place.

Gear

ejcrist
11-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Oh, they CAN and WILL return fire, that's what makes ground-level stalking so, umm, interesting. NEVER hunt pigs with a single-shot unless you are shooting from a safe place.

Gear

Amen to that Brother! My boy got hit low the first night when we cornered a couple and the next thing I knew his boots were in the air as he was cart-wheeling in reverse down the hill. At least he landed on the hardest part of his body, bless his heart. That made for an unforgettable trip.

Magana559
11-11-2014, 03:14 AM
Congratulations! Pigs are a very tough animal.

Slow Elk 45/70
11-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Welcome aboard , I'm glad that your hog experience did not include being ripped up by pissed off hog...there are sites on line where you can see where the kill shots should go.....enjoy the porker...:bigsmyl2::cbpour::redneck:

44man
11-11-2014, 10:08 AM
I have shot many deer with my .45 vaquero and they don't go hardly anywhere. But I use 320 to 335 gr boolits at around 1160 fps with 296 powder.

Digital Dan
11-11-2014, 12:08 PM
I don't think hogs are hard to kill at all.

John Allen
11-11-2014, 12:25 PM
I really need to go do a pig hunt. we just do not have any places locally for this. I guess that is a good thing though.

44man
11-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Pigs are like people, hurt them and they go down. Seen gut shot fall right away.