PDA

View Full Version : h&r barrel accessory program ending.

jason f
11-10-2014, 08:34 PM
If you want a barrel better get your receiver sent in. Program is ending first of the year.

Beagle333
11-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Well that's sad. Who has the money before Christmas? That's a thin time of year.

(unless this means they are going to just start selling the barrels and we can set em up ourself.)8-)

bubba.50
11-10-2014, 09:14 PM
with the litigation-happy society we live in I can guarantee you they're not gonna sell barrels to do-it-yourselfers.

jmort
11-10-2014, 09:59 PM
I cannot believe they would do this, but anything is possible.

GhostHawk
11-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Future does not look good for Handi Rifle owners in my opinion.

Remington is doing away with one of the Handi Rifles best features.
Too much competition perhaps.

geargnasher
11-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Way to go, Remington, buy and ruin YET ANOTHER one of my favorite rifle brands, why don't you. Who's company gets bought and systematically destroyed next, Ruger maybe? Savage Arms? Mossberg? Why couldn't it been Rossi or Kahr Arms or someone I don't care about?

Gear

str8shot426
11-10-2014, 11:28 PM
What source are you getting this news from?

GhostHawk
11-11-2014, 10:22 AM
News about the barrel program came straight from customer service and was confirmed by another source.

nanuk
11-11-2014, 02:59 PM
the barrel accessory program was pretty much non-existant for us up here anyways.

when I inquired, I was quoted almost $450 per barrel

the fellow told me to just buy another gun.... which I did... many times over!

nanuk
11-11-2014, 03:00 PM
when you can buy a savage axis for same/less than a Handi, the BreakActionBias really kicks in....

some folks think the single shot is less of a gun

but those of us who hunt with one, know it is THE gun!

jmort
11-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Sadly, I too have confirmed this most unfortunate news. I got two SB2 actions a couple months back and now have to send them in sooner than I wanted. Was going to get .357 mag, but not available. I did learn there is hope for a new barrel program where they just send you a barrel, like a Contender. Right now no word on that. Regardless, this bites. I was told the barrel accessory program ends when the barrel inventory is depleted.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Remington axed 126 jobs this week. I bet most of it is moving to AL with the new set up.
I got notified today that my 357 barrel is fit and on its way back to me. Guess I got in by the skin of my teeth!

jmort
11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Congrats

gpidaho
11-11-2014, 09:21 PM
I hope they do start selling the barrels without sending in your frame. I love my Handi's and have all but two or three of the ones I want. Up until now I have just bought the whole set up to save the trouble of sending in the frame. GP

Four-Sixty
11-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Wait a second, if the program ends when they run out of barrels, are they discontinuing the Handi Rifle?

GhostHawk
11-12-2014, 09:43 AM
FourSixty I think a lot of us are waiting to see the answer to that question.

seaboltm
11-12-2014, 10:40 AM
I like the handi's, but looking at the price I would imagine the profit margin is low. A remington 700 is probably no more expensive to make than a handi and sells for many times the price.

gpidaho
11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Glad I have the six of mine safe in the safe. Very easy rifles to experiment with and just plain fun from Woosie to Wild hope they are not dropped. Then you know what Remington can do to a dream! GP

Janoosh
11-12-2014, 01:23 PM
There lies a biznez opportunity for barrels and/or barrel stubs. There must be some sort of legal block that this hasn't happened yet.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-12-2014, 01:24 PM
There have been folks in the last 2 weeks, who sent in frames to have a barrel fit, with the factory authorization to send it in,
get them returned un-touched. Sounds like they are out of some barrels already. I would assume, that since they are running out of barrels,
they will not be selling any more Handi's, UNLESS, they have a game plan in place for when they get moved to Huntsville AL in the new plant.
Only time will tell. I would have liked to have a few more of them, but with the 45-70 B?C and now the 357, I got the 2 I really wanted.
I consider myself fortunate

texassako
11-12-2014, 02:46 PM
I am sad to hear this. I was planning on getting one in .357, but mainly because I could get extra barrels in other cartridges and already shoot .357 revolvers. There is always the option of a gunsmithed stub, but the factory option is the reason I was in the market.

jmort
11-12-2014, 03:54 PM
I called back today to place my order. Yesterday I was told no .357 and yes 30-30. Today no 30-30 and yes .357. So I said take your time and let's get this right. So now it is yes 30-30 and yes .357. So now I am all set for my two actions. Whatever the new plan is, will be announced Jan/Feb 2015.

Tackleberry41
11-13-2014, 06:29 PM
So maybe its simply a case of they are moving, and dont want a pile of customers rifles to deal with, or the inventory of barrels to move.

Seems the barrel exchange is a pretty popular thing, it would be hard to argue in a board room somewhere that just getting rid of it would be a good choice, its money in the pocket. But we are talking wal street investment types they tend to make some pretty short sighted choices all the time. Or if the goal was to simply kill the brand to boost sales for other brands like Remington, not that I will be giving them any money any time soon. Armalite went to alot of effort to reintroduce the AR-180 then killed it not long after as it was cutting into their AR15 sales. I had 2 different 180s an original one and a b model, all they really should have done was update to a faster twist barrel, vs cheaping out and pretty much ruining a good thing. That polymer lower was pretty flimsy, and no folding stock.

challenger_i
11-13-2014, 08:30 PM
I don't know everything I am supposed to know, so I ask a lot of thupid questions...

Can you build a Handi Gun on a NEF 410 shotgun action?

35 shooter
11-14-2014, 01:16 AM
I really hate to hear this news. Hope they start the program back up when they make the move to their new location, or at least continue to sell extra bbls. like TC as others here have suggested.

woolybear
11-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Sssssh........a new gun is in the works for 2016

If we're lucky it will come in under TC and CVA

troyboy
11-14-2014, 04:05 PM
"I don't know everything I am supposed to know, so I ask a lot of thupid questions...

Can you build a Handi Gun on a NEF 410 shotgun action?"

To answer your question yes as long as it is a low pressure cartridge.

Magana559
11-18-2014, 06:02 AM
I just shipped out my action to have it fitted for two barrels, really didn't want to spend the money, but it's now or never I guess.

Magana559
11-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Also confirmed by csr i talked to on the phone today, the program will end when the barrels run out or January 2015 whichever comes first.

GhostHawk
11-18-2014, 08:42 AM
My Handi receiver arrived in Illion New York yesterday and H&R took possession.

I got a nice conformation email directing me to this site.
http://www.remington.com/forms/repair-information.aspx

I know they laid a bunch of people off, I suspect the last of the gunsmith's is working his tail off.

Hoping for a .357 mag barrel and a 7.62x39 to go with the .223 that I bought it with.

Wait and see at this point.

jmort
11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
I sent out the two bare receivers I got off Gun Broker yesterday. Hope to get .30-30 and .357 barrels.

drinks
11-18-2014, 05:11 PM
I have carved a lump, had it TIGd to the barrel and had my own 8mmx41R 59'
Not really high tech.
A piece of cold rolled, a metal cutting band saw, a drill press and some file time is what it took.
Ebay has some good prices on take off barrels, I just bought one for $19, delivered.
Some times they just cannot stop a determined man.
I started that one with a $15 Turkoff barrel.

TCLouis
11-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Do the pencil neck geeks taking over the industry not know what a gun is unless it a whampandstoper bolt gun or plastic wonder gun.

35 shooter
11-19-2014, 01:02 AM
If they don't continue after their move, i sure hope someone steps in on the opportunity for after market bbls. for them.

Leadmelter
11-21-2014, 01:07 AM
Remember they are owned by Cerebrus, the same group that almost destroyed Chrysler.
Leadmelter
MI

45-70 Chevroner
11-21-2014, 09:56 AM
I called H&R to see about having a new 44 mag barrel fitted to my SB1 and the lady said they were out of the 44 barrels and that they were discontinuing the program and that they would not be doing it any more because it was not cost effective for the company. Of course you can still buy a complete gun, and that they have plenty of all the calibers they currently list in there catalog.

Three44s
11-29-2014, 12:29 AM
Not chiding all the H&R owners ........ and I thought the barrel program added value to the rifle ......... I just never got into their triggers.

Myself, I do the Savage, Stevens, Marlin X-series ..... and Contender barrel program.

And it seems to me, the barrel stub would be the way on an H&R in light of the bean counter's genius move at Ceribrus.

Three 44s

Mauser48
11-29-2014, 12:46 AM
So now you can't buy spare barrels?

jmort
11-29-2014, 02:36 AM
Time is running out.

smkummer
11-29-2014, 05:43 AM
Anyone try sending in a 1930's registered H&R handi gun? I have one in 2 1/2 410 and would love a 3" barrel and also a 28 gauge barrel. I am guessing they would say "don't even send that scary thing to this state". I believe I will call them Monday just to see what they say.

Mauser48
11-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Leave it up to remington to ruin H&R and Marlin.

EDG
11-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Actually Remington should be able to improve both Marlin and H&R.
H&R was really beneath Remington's stature in the market. I am sure that the engineers at Remington are appalled by H&R's bubba style manufacturing. Given a 6 to 9 months work and a $200K budget and Remington could make a silk purse out of the Handi rifle.

Leave it up to remington to ruin H&R and Marlin.

Fishman
11-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Actually Remington should be able to improve both Marlin and H&R.
H&R was really beneath Remington's stature in the market. I am sure that the engineers at Remington are appalled by H&R's bubba style manufacturing. Given a 6 to 9 months work and a $200K budget and Remington could make a silk purse out of the Handi rifle.

I believe you forgot the purple font.

FergusonTO35
12-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I have a 1990 NEF .410 and its really nice for a $69.95 shotgun, which is what my dad paid for it brand new as my Christmas present that year. Has anybody noticed that they've more than doubled the retail price on these things? The current Remington made aberration has a chunky stock and forend that does not fit the gun at all and a drab, spray paint like black finish on the receiver instead of the nice looking but probably fake color case hardening of mine. As if to add another insult there is a square bar code looking thing stamped into the left side of the receiver.

Now I like Remington's actual Remington products like the 700 and 870. But H&R and Marlin should never be stamped "Ilion, NY", its just sacrilege!

jmort
12-06-2014, 03:24 PM
This is all very funny, Remington being of such august standing as to be above H&R. H&R production discontinued anyway so what does it matter.

aspangler
12-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Wait a second, if the program ends when they run out of barrels, are they discontinuing the Handi Rifle?
Right from H&R website.....

NEF Brand Transition - What does this mean?

ExplanationWe will discontinue the use of the New England Firearms brand name on our current firearms but not on firearm parts.
There will be no product changes. Parts and service for New England Firearms products will continue to be available under the New England Firearm brand name.

jmort
12-06-2014, 05:19 PM
It is over, no more H&R.
See my thread on this. Gray Beards forum confirmation.

45-70 Chevroner
12-08-2014, 04:11 PM
I know this thread has been going on since last month but all you have to do is call H&R and get the straight scoop. Their number is 1-866-776-9292. I did call them today and they are not going out of business. I am sorry guys if this ruffles some feathers but this is a fact. "They are not going out of business".

GhostHawk
12-08-2014, 10:25 PM
No, they are not going out of business.

They are indeed ending the accessory barrel program. It has been reported by too many reliable people from too many sources for it not to be true. And in fact I have talked to H&R customer support myself twice in the last month and both times it was mentioned by their staff. I suspect next year will see a move to a more gun friendly state.

I suspect the year after that will see new rifles on the market again.
I don't think from what I've heard that they will bring the accessory barrel program back.

You want a different caliber you buy a different gun, or get one elsewhere be it evilbay or a custom job.
Either way H&R won't be responsible for it, or liable if it causes a problem.

Where we will be 2 years from now no one can say with absolute certainty. Not even those who currently work for Remington on H&R guns like Brian56 over at the GBO forums. Who btw is out of work for at least a year for health issues. Diabetic nerve pain, and the drugs are not working.

So out of business, no.
No longer currently making guns in New York? I think so, but I can't prove it.
Out of the barrel replacement program, so it would appear at this point in time.
As I and others have been told, and as those who work for Remington have been told.
Moving south to a more gun friendly state? So it would appear.

OBXPilgrim
12-08-2014, 11:02 PM
So, you recon someone at H&R finally got fed up with folks having to send in rifles to have barrel fit to frames?

If someone there finally figured out what they could do to make the barrels completely interchangeable, what would you do? First thing I would do is end the barrel accessory program - git rid of all the old stock, including the old non-interchangeable frames (make them into rifles and send them out the door).

With the Shot Show being the big "announcement" party for the gun industry, I wouldn't be surprised if we get this news come January at the Shot Show. I'm sure they have probably looked at the CVA's ability to interchange barrels without fitting and finally decided to do something about it. At least, if they are not shutting down, that's the news I would expect to hear.

jmort
12-08-2014, 11:08 PM
What was said is that production is stopping.